Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery Cooling Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model 3 , have done 1000ks.When i park it in my garage the battery cooling fans continue to run and the battery drains at a rate of 20% in about 30 hours without moving the car.
The internal car temp is around 26c and the garage temp is around 25c , hot summer in NZ
Is this normal ???

Do your car lights and the car's screen stay on after you get out of the car?
No they do not,i took the to the tesla service center.They confirmed it was the security system draining the battery.My worry is if i go on vacation for 2 weeks and leave it at the airport with the security system on i could arrive home to a car with a flat battery.Makes the security system a joke if it uses 20% of the battery in 30 hours.

No they do not,i took the to the tesla service center.They confirmed it was the security system draining the battery.My worry is if i go on vacation for 2 weeks and leave it at the airport with the security system on i could arrive home to a car with a flat battery.Makes the security system a joke if it uses 20% of the battery in 30 hours.
That's why I keep my car plugged in at the airport.

It's normal for pumps to run an hour or more after parking, and also normal for the cabin fan to run somewhat.

It's not normal for the radiator fan to run after parking unless the car is very hot (in which case the fan will run for many minutes) or if cabin overheat is enabled and triggered by interior temperatures over 40C (in which case the fan may run occasionally for up to 12 hours). Your phone app will show you if the HVAC is running without disturbing the car.

Sentry Mode will consume about 5% per day and can be configured to not run at home, work, or other places of your choosing. Your phone will show the status and allow you to turn Sentry on/off.

Parking for weeks at the airport is not a problem, just turn off Sentry Mode accordingly and Cabin Overheat if you expect the cabin to get hot within the first 12 hours after parking.

It's normal to lose 20% on a 25C day if parked all day in the sun with cabin overheat running, but if you lost that much inside a cold garage there is something seriously wrong with your car.

That's why I drive my 15 year old Volvo to the airport. Also,there are no EV chargers at the nearest airport