Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 battery serial number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1user2

Nov 19, 2022
USA
1. How to find serial number of battery pack in model 3?
2. Is it possible for tesla service center to swap battery pack without customer knowledge?
3. How long does it take to retro fit Full Self-Driving (FSD)? Does 14days sound right?

1. How to find serial number of battery pack in model 3?
2. Is it possible for tesla service center to swap battery pack without customer knowledge?
3. How long does it take to retro fit Full Self-Driving (FSD)? Does 14days sound right?
1. On Model 3, there is a metal plate attached to the front of the battery pack that has the part number and serial number. The easiest way to look at it is to drive the car front up on ramps (or put it on a lift) and remove the front bottom aero cover. A 2nd way to look at it is to remove the frunk tub and look down, but this only works with a RWD model because the front motor on an AWD will block the view.

2. There's no reason Tesla would secretly replace your battery pack, and they have no time or incentive to do so.

3. If talking about Model 3, FSD is a software update that you get pushed to the car when you pay for the upgrade. If your Model 3 is older than around spring of 2019 then you are entitled to a free hardware update to the FSD computer. I can't remember how long it took to get mine but it was less than a day. Probably 2-4 actual hours of work.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
1. On Model 3, there is a metal plate attached to the front of the battery pack that has the part number and serial number. The easiest way to look at it is to drive the car front up on ramps (or put it on a lift) and remove the front bottom aero cover. A 2nd way to look at it is to remove the frunk tub and look down, but this only works with a RWD model because the front motor on an AWD will block the view.

There is also this method which I described and @FredMt documented; you need a bright flashlight or a phone light which you can leave on while taking a picture. No disassembly or ramps required. Not sure the status of the sticker on newer vehicles.

Upvote 0
Definitely some "leading" questions here by the OP, especially question #2 about "can the service center swap the battery pack without customer knowledge".

Even contemplating that tesla might want to do that implies that there is some sort of disagreement / argument / lawsuit etc happening, because otherwise there is "less than zero" incentive for any tesla service center to contemplate that.

Tying that into question 3 however, the FSD computer retrofit job normally takes somewhere between 1/2 a day and 2 days of the vehicle being at a service center, and I think I had a tech tell me it was 2-4 hours of actual "touch time" back when I had mine done, depending on whether the firmware flash "took" the first time or they had to re flash, etc. It would not take 14 days, unless they didnt have the part for 12-13 of those days.

So we have a situation where, reading somewhat between the lines, it appears that the OP is being told the FSD computer retrofit on their car is taking 14 days at a tesla service center.

My first inclination would not be to think they were replacing the battery, but it WOULD be to think they damaged the car and are trying to replace "something" on it. Could that "something" be the battery? Sure, I guess. That would actually bother me less than them damaging something else on the car that might need body work or something, actually.

it would be kind of nice to know whats driving the questions though, as no one would just think tesla is replacing a battery pack in their car and trying to hide it "out of the blue".

Upvote 0

Tying that into question 3 however, the FSD computer retrofit job normally takes somewhere between 1/2 a day and 2 days of the vehicle being at a service center, and I think I had a tech tell me it was 2-4 hours of actual "touch time" back when I had mine done, depending on whether the firmware flash "took" the first time or they had to re flash, etc. It would not take 14 days, unless they didnt have the part for 12-13 of those days.
I had my HW3.0 FSD computer swapped out in my driveway by mobile service and it took 90 minutes. This was in April 2020. It shouldn't take more than a day as long as the equipment is on hand, unless the tech damaged something during the swap or had a problem with the resulting software update.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
There is also this method which I described and @FredMt documented; you need a bright flashlight or a phone light which you can leave on while taking a picture. No disassembly or ramps required. Not sure the status of the sticker on newer vehicles.

It’s possible to know which serial number battery was installed on a Vin, to know the serial of made battery?

Upvote 0