Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 becomes a brick/nonfunctional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings.

Wondering if anyone else has had the following problem with their vehicle.

On three separate occasions, my M3 has become completely unresponsive. Each time, the car was adequately charged and had recently been used (the first time, it had been driven 30 miles and parked for 2 hours; the second and third time, it was charging in my garage and drove normally the day before).

In each case, the car would not unlock with either the phone app or the key card. In each case, Tesla service could not unlock it remotely or get it to respond to them. In two of the three cases, a Tesla service technician checked the vehicle at my home and could not get it to respond. In each case, the car required a manual unlock (i.e., breaking into the vehicle with a wand through the window). In each case, the car could not be resuscitated and required that it be dragged on to a flat-bed tow truck and taken to Tesla service.

The first two times, I was told this was a software problem, while most recently I was told it was a hardware problem. The three episodes have occurred over an 8 month period. The first episode happened with 12K miles and the third at 22K miles.

I don't know any other Tesla owners who this has happened to once, not to mention three times.

Tesla has assured me that they have now diagnosed and fixed this problem.

I am not so sure and have requested a new vehicle.

They have declined this request. While the managers at the service center have been very kind and apologetic, Tesla as a company seems intentionally difficult to contact regarding such matters.

I am wondering if I have a lemon or if I should just accept these type of problems as inherent in owning a drivable computer.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl