Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NSR-4

20200415_233747754_iOS.jpg
20200515_220418031_iOS.jpg
20200518_223900873_iOS.jpg

I installed the Torklift Stealth Ecohitch and am using the Thule EasyFold XT2. I chose it because I have two 50 lb e bikes so needed a rack capable of supporting them. The rack is rated for up to 130 lbs and the hitch is rated for up to 210 lbs load 12” out from the hitch (I contacted Torklift and that is what they told me). The Bosal hitch on my Model X is only rated at 120 lbs for a rack plus bikes, according to Bosal.

The Torklift rack can barely accommodate the 50” wheelbase and 29” wheels of my Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 1 bike (a ridiculously long model name). Had to get the longer tire straps, but it feels rock solid and I’m not worried about it
54BBAE86-1409-4C3D-9D19-75F3D5ECEF89.jpeg
AEA63D81-09D0-49C2-BF31-601DF722C859.jpeg
7D045DEB-2BE0-4515-8BEE-12099F7044BB.jpeg

I installed the Torklift Stealth Ecohitch and am using the Thule EasyFold XT2. I chose it because I have two 50 lb e bikes so needed a rack capable of supporting them. The rack is rated for up to 130 lbs and the hitch is rated for up to 210 lbs load 12” out from the hitch (I contacted Torklift and that is what they told me). The Bosal hitch on my Model X is only rated at 120 lbs for a rack plus bikes, according to Bosal.

The Torklift rack can barely accommodate the 50” wheelbase and 29” wheels of my Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 1 bike (a ridiculously long model name). Had to get the longer tire straps, but it feels rock solid and I’m not worried about itView attachment 621450View attachment 621451View attachment 621452
Holy out of season post!
4D4A11F5-39C7-4A0C-956F-8D05051D9FD2.jpeg

^^^
But since you did, I dragged up this summer post of my 1up USA hitch that is second to none and made in your country, not off shore
The 1up rack looks like a great rack but won’t work for bikes with full fenders, which is what my wife’s Trek Allant +7 Lowstep is; full fenders plus a rear rack. For that reason I decided against the 1up 2” Heavy Duty Double.

Reactions: aidanbiggins

Great discussion going for the bike racks. I’m still debating what to do to transport our mountain bikes but I’m happy to see your installation !

Debating between roof rack vs aftermarket hitch with a hitch bike rack.

From what I understand, vertical loading is important and I was also leaning for the NSR-4 as it keeps the vertical weight close to the hitch point. You can also take it out relatively quickly if not used.

I’m looking into getting a stealth hitch for my upcoming 2021 M3P.

Any comments on that?

Thank you!

I personally don’t see the vertical style as the way to go. It looks like it would catch a heck of a lot of wind/ resistance / km hit?
My 1up hold 3 bikes and can come off in seconds or be cut down to 2 or 1 bikes easily.
All aluminum, no plastic and your bikes are not hanging, but in trays so no possible damage to
expensive carbon mtbs.
Only downside is no dealers in Canada, you need to order from the US where it is made .
I have no regrets.

Reactions: MdlY55
I personally don’t see the vertical style as the way to go. It looks like it would catch a heck of a lot of wind/ resistance / km hit?
My 1up hold 3 bikes and can come off in seconds or be cut down to 2 or 1 bikes easily.
All aluminum, no plastic and your bikes are not hanging, but in trays so no possible damage to
expensive carbon mtbs.
Only downside is no dealers in Canada, you need to order from the US where it is made .
I have no regrets.

I’ve seen many rave about the 1-up, but can’t figure out why. What separates it from other tray style racks? I have a Thule for my wife’s SUV and it’s awfully heavy, but is great. Has integrated locks and other features that are not apparent on the 1-up.

I’ve seen many rave about the 1-up, but can’t figure out why. What separates it from other tray style racks? I have a Thule for my wife’s SUV and it’s awfully heavy, but is great. Has integrated locks and other features that are not apparent on the 1-up.
It is unique in that the engineering behind it
is unlike any other rack on the market. Parts that never wear out, metal on metal ratchet locking that holds any bike firmly in place with zero sway or movement for example. Locking pins that go through the wheels also made of metal are extra but a very reasonable price.
Extremely well designed in every way. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, but can tell you the rave reviews it gets are valid in my opinion .

Does installing a stealth hitch require any cutting of the bumper? and is it just a bolt on with a receiver that clears the bumper allowing the bike rack install?
I just had the Stealth EcoHitch installed on my 2019 LR AWD. Yes, there was a hole necessary to be cut in under the bumper where it sticks out. Later models come with a cover that is removable instead. If yours doesn't have that removable cover, you'll need a whole cut wide enough to not only have the hitch protrude out, it will have to be a bit wider so you can get a socket wrench in there to remove and install it. As to the install, the bumper cover comes off, and then the bumper part underneath is removed as well as a couple of adapters the bar mounts on. The hitch replaces those 2 adapters which bolt onto the rear frame. Then the bumper is installed on top of the hitch mount. Then the bumper cover is reinstalled with making a new hole or as mentioned on later models, the hole doesn't need to be created.