Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Bluetooth Gate-Bug in the update 2018.21.9?

Are you having slow home wifi issue when bluetooth on and connect to M3 after the recent update ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I think I just found out there is a pretty serious bug in the recent update 2018.21.9 on Model 3. I would like to confirm with other M3 owners who are having the same bluetooth/WIFI issue on the recent update.

Here is the issue, after I updated 2018.21.9. I notice that my Iphone is having really slow wifi speed, less than 1mbps, and so is my wife's iphone (Both phones are connect to model 3 by bluetooth as a key card, and bluetooth is on). However, my other device, such as ipad and my Macbook are not having any slow wifi issue. Once we turned off the bluetooth on our iphone, our wifi speed is back to normal(70+ mbps). We have a small house, so when we turn on the bluetooth, it got connect to the M3.

Here is my theory, I think when our phone connect to the car by bluetooth, the bluetooth signal from M3 somehow is blocking the wifi signal. Because I tried everything to fix the wifi problem, resetting the modem and router, reinstall my phone to factory. Nothing work, but once the bluetooth turn off, wifi is back to normal.

I'm wondering if any other M3 owners are having the same issue after the recent update. I think it is a pretty major flaw.

Let me know. Thank you and have a great day.

Hi Everyone,

I think I just found out there is a pretty serious bug in the recent update 2018.21.9 on Model 3. I would like to confirm with other M3 owners who are having the same bluetooth/WIFI issue on the recent update.

Here is the issue, after I updated 2018.21.9. I notice that my Iphone is having really slow wifi speed, less than 1mbps, and so is my wife's iphone (Both phones are connect to model 3 by bluetooth as a key card, and bluetooth is on). However, my other device, such as ipad and my Macbook are not having any slow wifi issue. Once we turned off the bluetooth on our iphone, our wifi speed is back to normal(70+ mbps). We have a small house, so when we turn on the bluetooth, it got connect to the M3.

Here is my theory, I think when our phone connect to the car by bluetooth, the bluetooth signal from M3 somehow is blocking the wifi signal. Because I tried everything to fix the wifi problem, resetting the modem and router, reinstall my phone to factory. Nothing work, but once the bluetooth turn off, wifi is back to normal.

I'm wondering if any other M3 owners are having the same issue after the recent update. I think it is a pretty major flaw.

Let me know. Thank you and have a great day.
Just you

Reactions: emlombardo
I use bluetooth devices with my hearing aids and phone etc. I get issues when bluetooth tries to connect to a third device, so I go to my iPhone and select bluetooth and disconnect it from my hearing aids. Then bluetooth is only using two devices and it works well.

So your problem might be a limitation of the number of channels bluetooth can service. I'm not a technician, so I don't know the specifics of bluetooth channels, just reporting what I have experienced.

I have the exact same issue on 2018.24.1 and just picked up my Model 3 last week. I've only connected my iPhone X as a key and not my wife's iPhone 6s yet. Basically when the 3/4 weird little Bluetooth connections show up which allow the phone to be a key, I can't get wifi to work from my home network. It can connect to the network and everyone else on the network is fine. Once I turn off BT, wifi works like normal. My router is only single band at 2.4ghz and that's the same one Bluetooth uses so pretty sure it is interfering somehow. Have only see like 4 people post about this issue and no one seems to have a solution except to not use Bluetooth on the phone, get a dual band router, or disconnect the Tesla key. All compromising solutions which sucks. Have attempted to adjust my router to use specific channels but it didn't work still. Might ask SC about it when I take the car in for some adjustments.

Now that I think about it I realize that I’ve run into this both at home with an older router I used to extend WiFi to my backyard and at my parents vacation house. In both cases my iPhone X was the only device experiencing the extremely slow (or just not working at all) WiFi connection and in both locations it only happened when I was connected to a 2.4GHz WiFi signal. When I’m at home and connected to my main router on a 5GHz 802.11ac connection I have no problems at all.

Sorry
Totally not a Model 3 issue
My toaster breaking just after updating to 21.9 isn’t a Model 3 issue either :rolleyes::D

I'm fairly certain it is related at least. I do not think this has anything really to do with the Model 3 software but rather the Tesla mobile app, more specifically the Tesla app for iOS. I didn't connect the dots until recently but the fact that the iPhone I use as my Model 3 key has been the only device to suffer from degraded WiFi connectivity at two different locations where it was connected to a 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi network and within bluetooth range of my Model 3 seems pretty convincing to me.

Now that I think about it I realize that I’ve run into this both at home with an older router I used to extend WiFi to my backyard and at my parents vacation house. In both cases my iPhone X was the only device experiencing the extremely slow (or just not working at all) WiFi connection and in both locations it only happened when I was connected to a 2.4GHz WiFi signal. When I’m at home and connected to my main router on a 5GHz 802.11ac connection I have no problems at all.

I agree, I had the exact issue. My issue was related to the iPhone X and having Bluetooth enabled. If I disabled Bluetooth the WiFi speed would increase. I was using an old AirPort Extreme and after doing quite a bit of research online it appeared that the iPhone X has an issue with certain older router chipsets. I would run a Speedtest and get less than 1Mbps down. I switched over to the Comcast XFi router and no longer an issue getting 170Mbps down on average.

Conflating relationship and cause, then implying paranoid conspiracy by using Bluetooth-gate as a thread title.
How about proving it’s actually related, then that it’s a flaw with the Model 3 before stating as fact that it’s a major flaw that needs addressing?
Right now it’s not a flaw, definitely not major and probably not even caused by Model3 firmware.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue on 2018.24.1 and just picked up my Model 3 last week. I've only connected my iPhone X as a key and not my wife's iPhone 6s yet. Basically when the 3/4 weird little Bluetooth connections show up which allow the phone to be a key, I can't get wifi to work from my home network. It can connect to the network and everyone else on the network is fine. Once I turn off BT, wifi works like normal. My router is only single band at 2.4ghz and that's the same one Bluetooth uses so pretty sure it is interfering somehow. Have only see like 4 people post about this issue and no one seems to have a solution except to not use Bluetooth on the phone, get a dual band router, or disconnect the Tesla key. All compromising solutions which sucks. Have attempted to adjust my router to use specific channels but it didn't work still. Might ask SC about it when I take the car in for some adjustments.
Hi Stffb,

Do you have any update on using a dual band router? Do it solve the bluetooth problem ?

Thanks

I’m still experiencing this but haven’t had the time to do any real testing. It definitely seems limited to 2.4GHz WiFi networks. For now I’ve just turned autojoin off on my iPhone for the non-5GHz networks broadcasting in my house.

I am having a very similar issue. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and the Tesla app is causing my 2.4 GHz network to be unusable on my phone. Normally I am on 5 GHz but being a mesh system there are occasions where I flip to 2.4 GHz and it can take forever to get back to 5 GHz. While on 2.4 GHz I range from 0.08 to 1 meg using speedtest.net (both the android app and the website). If I force close the Tesla app, network returns to normal speed. Fire up the Tesla app again, same problem. I can repeat this over and over again.

I can get the 2.4 GHz running by doing one of the following 3 things: 1) Force kill the Tesla app. 2) Turn off Bluetooth. 3) Turn off Location Services. While not scientifically proven, my tests seem to indicate my particular problem has something to do with Bluetooth location services and the Tesla app and its interaction with my 2.4 GHz radio and or driver.

My question is: Is anyone with an S9 or S9+ successfully running on a 2.4 GHz WiFi network while running the Tesla app?

I just upgraded to Google WiFi in my house and I’m pretty happy. Speed and reliability are greatly improved. I have had a few occasions where WiFi on my iPhone X will just about stop working completely but turning WiFi off and on again will fix it. I’m fairly certain this has only happened when my phone is within bluetooth range of my Model 3 and when my phone will also temporarily connect to the 2.4GHz signal from one of my mesh points.

After contacting Tesla support, they acknowledged there is a problem affecting a number of people and have confirmed it has to do with the Bluetooth and the 2.4 GHz WiFi running on the same frequency. IT DOES NOT EFFECT EVERYONE. it seems to be very phone specific. On a positive note, people will issues can rest assured that it is a known problem and it will be looked at sometime in the future. When? Who knows. It is not a high priority item. (Their words, not mine). The only recommendation they had was to force a 5 GHz connection which most of us with Mesh routers can't do.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
After contacting Tesla support, they acknowledged there is a problem affecting a number of people and have confirmed it has to do with the Bluetooth and the 2.4 GHz WiFi running on the same frequency. IT DOES NOT EFFECT EVERYONE. it seems to be very phone specific. On a positive note, people will issues can rest assured that it is a known problem and it will be looked at sometime in the future. When? Who knows. It is not a high priority item. (Their words, not mine). The only recommendation they had was to force a 5 GHz connection which most of us with Mesh routers can't do.

I knew I wasn't crazy! Thanks for reaching out to Tesla support. I'll see in a week if my new iPhone Xs has the same problem with this that my iPhone X has.

Hi Stffb,

Do you have any update on using a dual band router? Do it solve the bluetooth problem ?

Thanks
Ya like the others said above - a dual band router solved it. I actually got the Google Wifi too and whenever it flips me to 2.4 GHz band, I can't get any data to my phone when the Bluetooth is on and connected to the Model 3. The garage is right below the living room so my phone is basically always connected to it when I'm in there. Just got V9 last night so will see if anything is different this week. Either way, was long overdue for a router upgrade anyways!

Ya like the others said above - a dual band router solved it. I actually got the Google Wifi too and whenever it flips me to 2.4 GHz band, I can't get any data to my phone when the Bluetooth is on and connected to the Model 3. The garage is right below the living room so my phone is basically always connected to it when I'm in there. Just got V9 last night so will see if anything is different this week. Either way, was long overdue for a router upgrade anyways!

Doesn’t appear to be any different with version 9 or the latest version of the Tesla app for iOS. I still experience this on a fairly regular basis. Turning off Bluetooth temporarily or disconnecting and reconnecting to my WiFi network will almost always resolve it until it pops up again.