Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Bluetooth Proximity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s interesting. I checked my phone and at 40 to 50 feet away in the house the app will connect and disconnect as a key, but the car stays locked. When I go out to the garage in the morning the car is always locked and it unlocks as I approach it just like my S. The only time I’ve seen the lock/unlock behavior was standing talking right next to the car.

This with an iPhone 7.

Just tested on our ☰ with 2017.50.12, iPhone 7+ iOS 11.2.5, Tesla App v.3.3.0

With “walk up unlock” turned off: my dad was unable to open/unlock the car until I’m practically standing by the front bumper.

I have to test it again later with “Walk up unlock” turned on, since we just got 2017.50.12 today.

It’s interesting. I checked my phone and at 40 to 50 feet away in the house the app will connect and disconnect as a key, but the car stays locked. When I go out to the garage in the morning the car is always locked and it unlocks as I approach it just like my S. The only time I’ve seen the lock/unlock behavior was standing talking right next to the car.

This with an iPhone 7.
This matches my experience as well, iPhone 7+. Model 3 version 2017.50.12

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I'm about to put my deposit down and have been worrying about this problem. My garage is inside the house, under our bedroom. I worry about continual connects/disconnects from putting necessary wear on the mirror motors.

My hope would be that they realize this is not always helpful at home, and enhance the 'walk-up' functionality by adding the ability to disable it when you're specifically at home (but 'on' the rest of the time), most likely by the connection status of a specific wi-fi network. Problem solved.

I'm about to put my deposit down and have been worrying about this problem. My garage is inside the house, under our bedroom. I worry about continual connects/disconnects from putting necessary wear on the mirror motors.

My hope would be that they realize this is not always helpful at home, and enhance the 'walk-up' functionality by adding the ability to disable it when you're specifically at home (but 'on' the rest of the time), most likely by the connection status of a specific wi-fi network. Problem solved.
Just disable the "Wake on Walk Up" option on the car. It still unlocks automatically, it just waits until you actually try to open the door. The only thing you lose is the lights flashing and the mirrors folding out when you walk up. This still happens as soon as you open the door.

It shouldn't ever do this. The fact that it does is a bug, but as other people are posting, it's not supposed to unlock until you walk up to the vehicle. I mean, if you are parked in front of a store that you are inside you don't want it doing this either, right? So having special behavior at home is no solution. As the previous post stated, if you are having this problem turn off walk up unlock and your problem is solved.

And if you're worried about the rearview mirror motor, then just turn off auto-fold completely too. just do it manually whenever you need to fold it. =P