Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Breakdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed - drive unit failures on Model 3 appear to be manufacturing defects, not design defects. The opposite was true with the Model S drive units. If your Model 3 drive unit is good, it'll stay good (at least for the time being - we obviously have no really long-term data yet). If it's bad, it'll probably fail quickly, maybe even on the drive home.

The clicking noises are the high voltage relays engage and disengaging. Those are nothing to worry about. As for not being able to drive, sounds like you may have had a drive unit failure. I had one within a week of picking up. It isn't fun, but can happen. Thankfully the drive unit seems to be much more reliable on the Model 3 than the Model S/X. My second drive unit has been great for 12k miles, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the car is AWD then it would explain why it is working on and off. If only RWD then probably isn't a drive unit issue.

As for the AC icons changing, I think this will happen if you have auto for the AC on.

The clicking/knocking is pretty frequent/rapid though. Anyway it was escalated up to Tesla engineering and had the front body controller module replaced (I’m assuming vcfront). I’ve seen posts that it was the drive unit, some the high voltage connector. Mine was the first I’ve read was the vcfront. Still didn’t get my car back as they were replacing my steering column control module today as well for the left turn signal issue. Will see if that was indeed the problem with mine.

Indeed - drive unit failures on Model 3 appear to be manufacturing defects, not design defects. The opposite was true with the Model S drive units. If your Model 3 drive unit is good, it'll stay good (at least for the time being - we obviously have no really long-term data yet). If it's bad, it'll probably fail quickly, maybe even on the drive home.

Yes, this is what I found too. All failures that I have seen (including mine) have been rather quickly, like within the first 500 miles. My second drive unit has been great since 271 miles and I am now on about 12k miles.

Went to pick up my car this past Saturday and within miles of the service center I get a reduced power warming. Back to the service center it went. It’s ridiculous, haven’t had the car in my possession for more than 24hr and I already got the bill for first payment.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna