Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Breakdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure that particular car was supposed to be delivered at the end of March. Mine was built around the same time and was delivered March 29. That sucks. I would for sure ask tesla to provide a full history of the vehicle. Something is not adding up.

VIN#23XXX - I reserved on 4/6/16, configured 6/28/18 and took delivery 7/5/18. I've put almost 400 miles on my car so far, no issues.
I have the thicker rear seats.

How do I identify when the car was built? Door frame sticker? I'll check during lunch and update this comment.

Yeah my VIN is same range too. It was built in April and was delivered in April.

At the time this one was built there was the huge rush to deliver cars before end of Q1 so it should have been delivered right away. (MSM was the most popular color so it was in demand.) This car not being delivered until 3-4 months later seems fishy especially considering it died after only a few miles. With cars in such demand I can't imagine they forgot about it for a few months. (They didn't even have any to display at stores and test drive.) I suspect it had problems serious enough that it took that long to fix, only maybe they didn't actually fix it.
They did have a few displayed MSM Model 3s at the time. Houston Galleria got one first week of February, and there were others in a few places before that. The Galleria one was definitely sub-10K VIN (I for get exactly, might have been 6K).

Maybe this was a vehicle that was initially slated for a showroom test drives (they've been using MSM, I believe, to contrast from red for S and white for X) and now with the switching to P rollout for test drives decided to sell this? *shrug*

Reactions: GaryW
VIN#23XXX - I reserved on 4/6/16, configured 6/28/18 and took delivery 7/5/18. I've put almost 400 miles on my car so far, no issues.
I have the thicker rear seats.

How do I identify when the car was built? Door frame sticker? I'll check during lunch and update this comment.

Was your VIN 23268? I had a white one and they gave that to me, but ended up changing my VIN to 360XX

View attachment 315138 View attachment 315137 Definitely not a hater thread, just for information.

2018 Model 3 LR EAP FSD Premium, 19" rims etc...all available options at the time, $60500
VIN 012XXX
Manufactured March 2018
Delivery 7/3/18
Marina Del Rey, CA
8 Miles on pick-up
Drove a total of 61 miles during the day to reach 69 on the same day. Parked vehicle, would not start. Error codes "Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power, Car may stop driving or shut down" "Car needs service, car may not restart". Contacted Roadside, car towed to Buena Park Service Center on 7/3/18, Loaned a 2014 Model S. July 4 SC closed, SC calls on 7/5/18. 7/6/18 SC reports failed drive unit. Part to be replaced next week.

Please post you breakdown experiences to be informative.

Ouch but dumb question. Have you tried rebooting? I think it's hold the break pedal and push both scroll wheel.
Where you pushing it hard? I know I did the first few days showing friends and family the raw power.

Linette Lopez, the person who has been working with the Tesla sabateur on a series of hit pieces on Tesla, is also doing the same thing:

Linette Lopez on Twitter

The comments in the thread are gold ;)

I can only assume she was previously banned from TMC, otherwise why not make an account and contact the OP directly?

Regarding the break down, sounds like infant mortality on the bathtub distribution of failures. It's a rare event, but that's little consolation when you're the one it happens to. Nice thing about Teslas is that they can swap everything at once instead of tracking down individual sensor/valve/injector/module faults.

Ouch but dumb question. Have you tried rebooting? I think it's hold the break pedal and push both scroll wheel.
Where you pushing it hard? I know I did the first few days showing friends and family the raw power.
Yes - didn’t solve issue. Already diagnosed by SC who indicate bad d.u.
I can only assume she was previously banned from TMC, otherwise why not make an account and contact the OP directly?

Regarding the break down, sounds like infant mortality on the bathtub distribution of failures. It's a rare event, but that's little consolation when you're the one it happens to. Nice thing about Teslas is that they can swap everything at once instead of tracking down individual sensor/valve/injector/module faults.

Well for the record, yah it does suck and obviously for me, the jury is still out on how well things will be resolved. I have high hopes for this car and because it has such long range between charges, I bought my first electric vehicle. In addition, it’s a great looking car.

Reactions: mongo
I had a similar experience and posted it last month. Was driving my Model 3 home when suddenly I received a message stating "Cannot maintain vehicle power - Car may stop driving or shut down." Car slowed to a stop within 20 seconds and was unable to be turned on. I was on a street and had to pull over but thankfully not on the highway. Hit both knobs on steering wheel to reboot system but the message persisted. Then another message would say "Vehicle systems are powering up - Shift into D or R after message clears" but was never able to shift out of P. Had to call Tesla and had the vehicle towed to a service center. Was a scary experience since the car seemed to work perfectly fine for the first week and had 160 miles without issue. It wasn't a drained battery as I had 252 miles left on the charge. Once Tesla received the car they sent me a model s the next day and my car was fixed within 2 days. They replaced the drive unit and pyrofuse. I have driven the car over 1000 miles since and haven't had any issues. Hope yours gets fixed rapidly too.

I had a similar experience and posted it last month. Was driving my Model 3 home when suddenly I received a message stating "Cannot maintain vehicle power - Car may stop driving or shut down." Car slowed to a stop within 20 seconds and was unable to be turned on. I was on a street and had to pull over but thankfully not on the highway. Hit both knobs on steering wheel to reboot system but the message persisted. Then another message would say "Vehicle systems are powering up - Shift into D or R after message clears" but was never able to shift out of P. Had to call Tesla and had the vehicle towed to a service center. Was a scary experience since the car seemed to work perfectly fine for the first week and had 160 miles without issue. It wasn't a drained battery as I had 252 miles left on the charge. Once Tesla received the car they sent me a model s the next day and my car was fixed within 2 days. They replaced the drive unit and pyrofuse. I have driven the car over 1000 miles since and haven't had any issues. Hope yours gets fixed rapidly too.

Yes, like you I also had this on my screen "Vehicle systems are powering up - Shift into D or R after message clears". Still haven’t heard back from SC when car will be ready but for now it’s not an issue since I don’t have time to pick it up until Saturday and I let them know that. Only difference from your situation is that I wasn’t driving at the time; it was already parked.

Last edited:
Was your VIN 23268? I had a white one and they gave that to me, but ended up changing my VIN to 360XX
Close, but no. I'm a dufus and forgot to look at the same config as mine that I found at a White Lake Home Depot on Saturday. They must have taken delivery of theirs on July 3rd; temp plate expired two days before mine.
I wonder why they changed your VIN...

I'll certainly be driving in the slow lane on the maiden voyage home once I have my April-"delivered" vehicle with a VIN of 14k. I guess ~200 miles gets you past the infant mortality danger zone.

It's all percentages, the relative odds of a failure are higher on very new and very old, but the absolute failure rate is very low.
(Which isn't to say I wouldn't also cruise around a metro area, use a pack of electrons, and supercharge for a while before my first long trip through a sparse area)
Others, like @outdoors, picked up an early 3 in CA and drove it back to Michigan.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Hit 12k this am. 35 superchargers later. Hasn't left me on the side of the road yet:D @vinnie97 drive it like you stole it. Just no spike strips.
20180710_082506.jpg