Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 camping mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, sorry, what is that? Sounds cool, I am tired of telling the car "Note: the car needs to include camper mode" and seeing "the car needs to include Kemper not" or some such. I'll use the feedback email, but curious what the executive review form looks like

-Randy

Log in to your tesla account. Click "Manage" on the Model 3, (or whichever tesla you own). For Model 3, there's an "Ask a question" button. Click that and you get a feedback form. at the bottom of that form, check the checkbox that says "Report to the tesla executive team." tell them you need camping mode and some use cases.

If you have an S or X, the form is different. After clicking manage, just scroll down till you see the form. In the subject line, you can choose "Escalate this concern for executive review."

Reactions: israndy
Log in to your tesla account. Click "Manage" on the Model 3, (or whichever tesla you own). For Model 3, there's an "Ask a question" button. Click that and you get a feedback form. at the bottom of that form, check the checkbox that says "Report to the tesla executive team." tell them you need camping mode and some use cases.

If you have an S or X, the form is different. After clicking manage, just scroll down till you see the form. In the subject line, you can choose "Escalate this concern for executive review."

So this is the response I received. 6 hours after I put it in for exec review.

Thank you for writing in! At this time we do not have a time frame to provide for when a camper mode may be added to the Model 3. However, on your behalf, I have gone ahead and submitted a request to our development team for consideration in future updates. While I cannot guarantee that this will be added in the near future, I can guarantee that our team reviews each of these requests seriously.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or feedback, please feel free to contact our 24/7 vehicle support team at any time by phone at 877-79-TESLA or by email at [email protected].

Best Regards,

... I have gone ahead and submitted a request to our development team for consideration in future updates. While I cannot guarantee that this will be added in the near future, I can guarantee that our team reviews each of these requests seriously.

Power of the vote. The more people that ask for this feature, the higher priority it becomes for the dev team. Also in our favor is that it's not particularly hard to implement. It's just a matter of competing priorities, and right now, there are other issues to resolve at the firmware level. I have no sense of how large their dev team is and whether if features and maintenance are done concurrently or not. Would also be curious if they are a Scrum/Agile shop and what their sprint duration is. Given the frequency of their firmware updates and the build numbers, they could even have some sort of continuous release process.

Thank you for writing in! At this time we do not have a time frame to provide for when a camper mode may be added to the Model 3. However, on your behalf, I have gone ahead and submitted a request to our development team for consideration in future updates. While I cannot guarantee that this will be added in the near future, I can guarantee that our team reviews each of these requests seriously.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or feedback, please feel free to contact our 24/7 vehicle support team at any time by phone at 877-79-TESLA or by email at [email protected].

Best Regards,

Yeah just don't read this and say. Oh they are working on it. If it is important to you. Chime into [email protected].

Well, it's 28 Weeks Later and we still don't have Camping Mode on the Model 3 or a Zombie Apocalypse (or Sanda Bullock out of rehab). Stop me before I sub-reference again. I hope everyone sent their requests for camping mode in the Model 3.

I ask those who know the other cars: when you are camping in your car, and you have your phone in the car, or I guess you guys use fobs, and someone comes by when you are asleep, can they open your door? The car must detect that the fob is close enough to unlock the door when the handles are pulled.

OH, right, the handles PRESENT or the door on the X opens when the fob approaches. I probably don't know enough about those cars to imagine what camping is like on them. I do wonder if the reason TM3s still don't have camping mode is that the door would remain unlocked when you are in it with the "key". At least I know the alarm will go off if the doors are opened after the car has been "locked" in the UI

-Randy

• Funny
Reactions: Mtb109
When we have the dogs in the car, and we are not, I keep checking the temps in the app. I still remember the RV running out of propane when we were at the hospital and it got SO HOT in the van. I don't know why I came out to check on the dog but glad I didn't wait any longer. Terrifying.

That makes me VERY cautious about leaving animals in the Tesla, don't want to have the AC time out, but so far so good.

-Randy

Last edited:
So, if the Model3 does not have something called "Camper Mode" what does the current "Leave Climate On" or even "Dog" setting do (ver 2019.20.4.4)? Can't I just stay in the parked car with either of these settings engaged? (I can manually lock the doors and deactivate the Sentry Mode.) Not sure what all the controversy is about? Thanks for any clarification.

Leave climate on is great but, depending on the software load, you may or may not have accessory power which is nice for camping (has worked for me every time - even before leave climate on - when HVAC is running).

Two other parts of camping mode (as I understand it) is that the exterior lights shut off and the doors can’t be opened from the outside if you lock them but keep your Bluetooth on.

Interestingly, if you’re plugged into power and leave your climate on all day (while hiking or whatever), the car still sends messages reminding you that you’ve left climate on. Don’t know if it would do that with camping mode or if camping mode even works while you’re not in the car.

Campermode tried. But the Climate control turns off after 4 hours. With the message "climate control is switched off, because it was switched on for 4 hours"
Someone a clue how to activate camper mode for the entire night?

Buckle the driver seat belt before seating.
Close the door, press on the brake pedal and go into Neutral.

Move to the back seat or passenger seat, but don't open the driver door, but passenger door is ok.
The car should stay in Neutral, and the 12 V Auxillary On.

Last edited:
Campermode tried. But the Climate control turns off after 4 hours. With the message "climate control is switched off, because it was switched on for 4 hours"
Someone a clue how to activate camper mode for the entire night?

You lock the car from the inside, turn on climate always on, set it to the temp you want, and done.

I've slept in my car a handful of times. That works. I haven't had any problems controlling the climate from the app either.

What are the liabilities of Tesla offering a camper mode though? I'm going to email customer service, I would really like a camper mode.

Only setback is the battery drain. Over night I easily lose 30% battery running climate for the night