Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla Model 3 in Dec 2020 and have so far spent not one dime on service or repairs of any kind.
Based on the articles i have read in newspapers I must be unique.
I havent been able to detect any rattles or defects of any kind.
Having said that, when tesla dowloaded the auto pilot to my car i admit to hating every moment it was installed.
It kept telling me i was a lousy driver and would brake suddenly when it saw another car or even person.
And if i have to keep playing with the steering wheel all the time, what is the point of having it at all.
TY Tesla for removing it.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
There was talk about Tesla utilizing the rear view mirror camera instead of constantly having to fiddle with the steering wheel to validate driver attention. Anyone hear anything more about it since?
That’s coming in FSD v12.4 (2024.9.x), but I think that’s only gone to Tesla employees so far. I rarely get the steering wheel nag in the current software, but I know that isn’t typical.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I bought my Tesla Model 3 in Dec 2020 and have so far spent not one dime on service or repairs of any kind.
Having said that, when tesla dowloaded the auto pilot to my car i admit to hating every moment it was installed.
It kept telling me i was a lousy driver and would brake suddenly when it saw another car or even person.
And if i have to keep playing with the steering wheel all the time, what is the point of having it at all.
Not sure why your thread title is “reliability,” but if you hated the FSD trial, why did you keep using it? If you wanted to use basic AP, you could have turned off FSD.

There was talk about Tesla utilizing the rear view mirror camera instead of constantly having to fiddle with the steering wheel to validate driver attention. Anyone hear anything more about it since?
That has been a fact for a while now. Not sure when it happened but if I recall correctly it started about six months ago. If I keep my eyes on the road I get a LOT fewer nags about twitching the steering wheel.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I am undecided whether I want to pay for the FSD, it seems like such a hassle in its current configuration. I want to like it. I really like the EAP but the FSD seems to constantly nag. I like the stop light take off feature though. I also like the green light audio alert.

That has been a fact for a while now. Not sure when it happened but if I recall correctly it started about six months ago. If I keep my eyes on the road I get a LOT fewer nags about twitching the steering wheel.

The in-cabin camera has been watching our eyes for a while, and will nag / disengage if you're not watching the road.

The "talk" was about Tesla doing away with the wheel torque nag and relying on eyes only. Not sure if that's just a rumor though. Seems like they'd want both your eyes on the road AND your hands on the wheel.

Reactions: DocHolliday
My 30-day trial subscription expires today, v12.3.6, and it's been amazing for me. I drove 500mi to Villanova for my nephew's graduation on Friday, had dinner after, and left at midnight for the 500mi drive back home, and without FSDb it would have been impossible for me to do on my own. Maybe when I was 25, but not at 62. Sure, there were some disengagements but it was so helpful. Strangely, I find it more helpful on surface streets than on the interstate, as EAP was already pretty good on interstates.

I don't really get any nags, but I've never really had nag issues with EAP. I always have a finger or two on the steering wheel.

Anyway, the upshot is, I went and paid the $2k to get FSD. If v12.4 which is due out soon, is 5x-10x fewer disengagements, according to Elon's tweet, that'll be remarkable, considering I get so few as it is. It always strikes me as odd how people's experiences vary so widely. I wonder why that is? I would think my 2018 would perform worse than newer models.
IMG_4415.jpeg

FSDb took me off the main route to a side road to beat NYC traffic to get over the GW Bridge. Yeah, the GPS might have planned it, but I think I would have been stressed out, if I had done it manually.
IMG_4416.jpeg

And the road looks clear to the GW!
IMG_4419.jpeg

I disengaged here, when I was near Villanova, because I wasn't exactly sure why all these cars were lined up to the left. The lane is a few feet to the right, and it seems like if you wanted to actually go straight or turn right you could drive on the right shoulder. Anyway, I disengaged and followed the example of the others. When you don't know the surface roads, you tend to disengage more often. But, the hilly and windy roads near campus were very easy to drive with FSD.

Last edited:
My 30-day trial subscription expires today, v12.3.6, and it's been amazing for me. I drove 500mi to Villanova for my nephew's graduation on Friday, had dinner after, and left at midnight for the 500mi drive back home, and without FSDb it would have been impossible for me to do on my own. Maybe when I was 25, but not at 62. Sure, there were some disengagements but it was so helpful. Strangely, I find it more helpful on surface streets than on the interstate, as EAP was already pretty good on interstates.

I don't really get any nags, but I've never really had nag issues with EAP. I always have a finger or two on the steering wheel.

Anyway, the upshot is, I went and paid the $2k to get FSD. If v12.4 which is due out soon, is 5x-10x fewer disengagements, according to Elon's tweet, that'll be remarkable, considering I get so few as it is. It always strikes me as odd how people's experiences vary so widely. I wonder why that is? I would think my 2018 would perform worse than newer models.View attachment 1049577
FSDb took me off the main route to a side road to beat NYC traffic to get over the GW Bridge. Yeah, the GPS might have planned it, but I think I would have been stressed out, if I had done it manually.View attachment 1049576
And the road looks clear to the GW!
I disengaged here, when I was near Villanova, because I wasn't exactly sure why all these cars were lined up to the left. The lane is a few feet to the right, and it seems like if you wanted to actually go straight or turn right you could drive on the right shoulder. Anyway, I disengaged and followed the example of the others. When you don't know the surface roads, you tend to disengage more often. But, the hilly and windy roads near campus were very easy to drive with FSD.
$2K for FSD where did you find that deal!

And if i have to keep playing with the steering wheel all the time, what is the point of having it at all?

constantly having to fiddle with the steering wheel to validate driver attention.

If I keep my eyes on the road I get a LOT fewer nags about twitching the steering wheel

but the FSD seems to constantly nag.

I don't really get any nags

How to resolve these differences in experiences? Driving style.

You can learn to drive in a way that makes nags rare.

1. Keep your eyes on the road.
2. Hold the wheel in a way that's comfortable yet exerts a small amount of torque whenever the wheel turns.

Looks like item 2 will soon be irrelevant.

How to resolve these differences in experiences? Driving style.

You can learn to drive in a way that makes nags rare.

1. Keep your eyes on the road.
2. Hold the wheel in a way that's comfortable yet exerts a small amount of torque whenever the wheel turns.

Looks like item 2 will soon be irrelevant.
I would prefer to get rid of the inside camera. oh well such is life.

Pretty much my experience and thoughts about FSD. I played with it for a couple of days and said “nah”.

I mean it sounds like you need to slow down when you see cars and pedestrians. How did the car tell you you’re a lousy driver? Is there some hilarious negging feature I'm not aware of? Car: "Oh great, this guy again.." 😄

Zero money spent is impressive. It's probably time to inspect your tires, alignment, brakes, wipers, washer fluid, and cabin air filter.

I get it now. so the 6k for eap plus 2k for FSD is what my 8k price comes to. or 99 a month to rent which i may do.
I have EAP, but with hardware 2.5 on my 2018 Model 3. I’d like to order FSD, since for $2000 it seems like a no-brainer. Does anyone know if I have to pay the $1000 for HW3 first, or does that automatically come with the FSD installation for a total of $2000?

I agree with everything about this statement except the rattles comment. I owned my 2019 M3 SR+ for 5 years and 100k miles and it was far and away the most reliable car I ever owned. I replaced tires and the 12v battery. That's it. 2 months after selling to switch to a Model S, I already regret the decision and I've put an order in for a new 2024 M3.

However, my 2019 had more rattles than a a 1985 Dodge Omni and transferred so much road harshness into the cabin through the rear suspension it was embarrassing to have clients in the car. Model S is better in that regard, but dull to drive. The Highland Model 3 eliminates most of the bad manners of the older model 3, so hopefully it holds up and the rattles don't creep back in.

I had a free trial of FSD last month on the Model S and the thing is a lunatic. Tried to kill me twice, jabbed the brakes for oncoming traffic in the opposite lane, jabbed the brakes for cars turning left 200 feet in front of me, made embarrassing and discourteous lane changes. Definitely not my cup of tea. In fact, I don't even like the EAP. Just give me dumb cruise control and I'm good.

Reactions: ODWms and Flatbroke