Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cars in Tesla stores BEFORE we can order our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they do get a car in the ATX showroom I would love for them to have some special event for reservation holders that is closed to the public. I know now if I just stop by the showroom it is hard to check out the Model S and X there because there are always people sitting in them (maybe it would be better if I went during business hours). This is when the cars have been out for quite awhile and most people in my city probably know about them. I can't imagine how crazy it will be when the affordable one comes out and people are anxious to see it.

I have never bought a car without test-driving it first. From all the above, it looks as though this might be problematic for the Model 3. I didn't place my reservation until a few days after the reveal, but being on the west coast and a Roadster owner, I imagine I'm fairly early in the line, and planning to order it fully loaded, which apparently counts as well.

I'd like to drive it before I commit, because I'd have to trade in my Roadster for it, and I'll miss the Roadster. I want the added safety features and the driving assist features (and autonomous driving when that becomes available) which is why I'm planning on trading in the Roadster, but I'd like to know that the acceleration and handling are comparable or better before I commit. (I don't have space for both cars.)

But I suppose if a test drive is not possible, I could base my final decision on early reviews and specs. If it handles and accelerates like the P85D that I got a chance to test drive, I will be happy with it.

I really want the driving assist features for safety.

Reactions: Red Sage
I would love for them to have some special event for reservation holders that is closed to the public.
Even then they would need to have several of them to get people the chance to have at least few minutes in one. I know where I reserved there were over 200 people so if they each 10 minutes to drive around the block or something you're still looking at several 8 hour days worth of driving - unless they get more than one car each. And some of the locations had 2 or 3 times that many people!

I'm find with not test driving it. i really want to see the colors and how each look in person on the car.

That'll probably be difficult.

-smak-
I'm hoping they have samples at the stores, I hate trying to imagine them from a picture online.

I know where I reserved there were over 200 people so if they each 10 minutes to drive around the block or something you're still looking at several 8 hour days worth of driving - unless they get more than one car each. And some of the locations had 2 or 3 times that many people!
Yep, Phoenix (Scottsdale) was one of those locations. I think I read that there were 800-900 people in line to reserve pre-reveal... I was around 50th. They would have to stagger the invites, maybe group them in a way so you could see the car just before you get your email to configure.

I've never before ordered a car that was not yet being manufactured. Well, one exception. My first three cars were just regular cars, bought the usual way. Even the 2004 Prius, I test drove and then ordered, and had to wait two months for. (A few months later, wait times were 6 months or a year). The Zap Xebra I bought off the lot.

Then I ordered a Nissan Leaf (the exception mentioned above.) But Nissan's ordering/delivery system for those first cars was a catastrophe, and six months after the original promised delivery date I gave up, took a plane to Seattle, test drove a Tesla Roadster, placed my order for a unit in inventory, and was driving it two weeks later. My local Nissan dealer was great, But Nissan corporate treated me like a mushroom for half a year. In the end it was all good, because I love my Very Orange Roadster. (Not all that's orange is good, but my Roadster is awesome.)

I suppose ordering before production means no test drive, no see-it-first. But if the initial reviews are good, and the specs are acceptable (better than 4 seconds to 60 for the top trim line). I expect all to be good. Handling for the dual-motor version should be great. I drove a P90D Model S and it was amazing. And I read a rumor that ludicrous will be available. I hope it's available in blue. Oh, I hope the rumor is true that it will be available with a vegan interior. I'm not a fan of leather.

Me, too! I was also told there would be a vegan option.
There is already a vegan option on the Model X/S. It is the white interior. The fake leather is very soft. When it first came out there were problems with it stretching and cracking with heavy weight but this problem has supposidly been fixed. If you are a Model 3 early adopter (first 100k-250k cars) you probably won't get a chance to try it out first. If you are worried about the vegan option try an S with the white interior.

Yes. And... NO.

I believe Tesla is constantly evaluating themselves and their processes both internally and externally. They are always looking for a 'better way' to do everything. Not satisfied with Consumer Reports declaring the Model S "The best car we have ever tested..." they have been constantly improving the car on all fronts. Elon Musk noted those changes had continued at a rate of around twenty per week, and he said that over a year after Consumer Reports' review.

That said, Tesla has also learned what processes do NOT work well and has certainly abandoned them in many cases. The point is that they don't simply presume something will not work without evidence that proves that to be the case. You can't change the world by doing things the same way they have always been done. Either by others, or even yourself. You must adapt to the data you have before you and act accordingly to change course as needed as a correction that will get you to your intended goal.

Oh, there are reasons. They just might not be of any concern to you, personally. One must recognize that not everyone feels the same way, or is as comfortable purchasing unseen as you or I may be. This is how I replied to a similar query:

Redmiata98 asked, "Hmm, they did not do it with the X, why do you think they will with the three?"

I think it is more necessary with the Model ☰ than with any vehicle Tesla Motors has released thus far. Not so much to get new business, or even to confirm current Reservations, so much as it is to prove they are a 'REAL Car Company'. It would be a great way to shut up the incessant Tesla Naysayers who have claimed since, like, FOREVER that Tesla would NEVER release a mass market car. Plus, there are people who really don't 'see' things on a computer monitor very well (I used to work with someone who had to print out all their e-mail messages to read them), they literally have to see things in three dimensions directly before them to get a sense of scale and reality.

It wouldn't take much to manage. There are currently about 99 Tesla Stores/Galleries in the U.S. If Tesla manages to prevail in their court case against Michigan's Regulators and Elected Officials, they may be able to double that quantity through this time next year. So, they could send two cars to each location, a total of maybe 400 vehicles as demo cars by the end of 2017. Since their goal is to reach as many as 500,000 units per year, at 50 weeks per year, 400 cars comes to only 1/25th of a week's Production. And, those demo cars could be replaced periodically as they were sold at Retail. One car to sit in the showroom, one to use for test drives in the Real World. When the test drive car is sold, the showroom car is put into test drive service, and a new showroom car is Delivered. Tesla loses nothing.

This was just part of my reply. Here is the link to the whole thing if you'd like to see it:
You would think this would be a true statements but as a person who has owned two Tesla's and who had a fully loaded Model X P100DL on order I find this statement not to be true. I love my Tesla's but in each case I have gone through a lot of issues before they get it right. From my experience they don't learn from their mistakes. A lot of it may be related to the staff at the service center. I have a bad service center which doesn't improve. I really get the impression they don't care about the customer. They never return calls and the last time I made an appointment to meet with the Service Manager he failed to show up for the appointment. My DS is totally useless. I would go to a different SC but the one I go to is 70 miles from my house and the next closest one is 110 miles away.

From other people I have talked to there are some great SC but there are probably just as many bad ones. By this time they should have their act together.

I will need to sit in one prior to finalizing my order. There are too many cars with low rooflines that require me to perform neck contortions to get in and out of. Even large cars can have spine twisting geometry.
Robin

I'm 5' 6" and 145 lbs and it is, shall we say fun getting in and out of my Roadster. I've taken tall people for rides, and they have a really hard time. Of course, half of them just won't listen to my instructions for getting in and out. I'm not worried about the Model 3.

I'm a little concerned about buying too early in the production run, in case there are issues with the earliest cars, but kind of hoping that having waited a few days to reserve, I'll be fairly early (as an owner) but not one of the very first.