Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging 34/32 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was using my mobile charger to charge my Model 3. I randomly checked the charging state on the Tesla app and it told me it was drawing 34/32 amps and was charging at 50km/hr. My understanding was that the mobile charger maxes out at 32 amps and have only seen it go up to 47 km/hr in the past. This struck me as strange, seeing 34/32 current being drawn. Anyone else experience this?

Seeing this today as well for the first time... Teslafi, the app, and car screen all show the amp draw above the limit... Is this really normal?? I would think that would be a hard limit... I only have a 40amp breaker and derated it for safety on purpose I don't want it going much higher than 32..

Thanks!

Teslafi, the app, and car screen all show the amp draw above the limit... Is this really normal??

Technically, it's not "above the limit."

It's above the expected load, but the load the car places on the service is just that - a load. Not a limit.

It's set to draw up to 32 amps for charging when connected to a 14-50 connector... a 14-50 connector is rated for 50 amps, so that's the limit to how much you can draw.

If the car is charging at 32 amps, but you also turn on the heating or air conditioning, it can draw a little over 32 amps - but nowhere near 40, never mind the 50 the electrical service is built for.

Today I was using my mobile charger to charge my Model 3. I randomly checked the charging state on the Tesla app and it told me it was drawing 34/32 amps and was charging at 50km/hr. My understanding was that the mobile charger maxes out at 32 amps and have only seen it go up to 47 km/hr in the past. This struck me as strange, seeing 34/32 current being drawn. Anyone else experience this?

I have the SR+ and it always maxes out at 32AMP, although on a 40AMP circuit. I typically get 52-54km/hr for charge, or 8kW/h.

Technically, it's not "above the limit."

It's above the expected load, but the load the car places on the service is just that - a load. Not a limit.

It's set to draw up to 32 amps for charging when connected to a 14-50 connector... a 14-50 connector is rated for 50 amps, so that's the limit to how much you can draw.

If the car is charging at 32 amps, but you also turn on the heating or air conditioning, it can draw a little over 32 amps - but nowhere near 40, never mind the 50 the electrical service is built for.

Thanks. I was concerned as it seemed to be climbing for no reason and I didn't want it to keep climbing without bounds :). I only have a 40 amp breaker (and wire rated to 40amp) running the wall connector so obviously it will trip if it goes over 40 just wasn't liking it going above what I told it to (via the dip switches in the wall connector)

I have the SR+ and it always maxes out at 32AMP, although on a 40AMP circuit. I typically get 52-54km/hr for charge, or 8kW/h.

That’s by design. The circuit is designed to have 25% overhead for a continuous load. A NEMA 14-50 outlet can deliver up to 50A but the Tesla plug has intelligence that limits it to 32A. Allowing up to 40A would be within design spec for 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit. I wonder if tesla limits it to 32A to encourage people to buy the HPWC (which maxes at 48A on a 60A circuit).

When we picked up our Model 3 back in August we were discouraged from buying the Tesla wall charger and told to have the nema 14/50 outlet installed.
That was an individual, doesn't make it corporate policy.

To the broader discussion, what was the voltage? Wonder if the limit is actually in kw, if the voltage sags a bit and the car tries to maintain a certain kw draw the amps could come up.

Reactions: coconutboy84
I wonder if tesla limits it to 32A to encourage people to buy the HPWC (which maxes at 48A on a 60A circuit).
The Gen2 mobile connector was derated to 32A in response to a garage fire started by a Gen1. The Corded Mobile Connector delivers the full 40A available from a 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit because the connection between the wall plug and UMC is hardwired.