Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 comfort.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Give it a little bit longer and play with the settings a bit - I went from a Grand Cmax to my '3' it's like going from being sat upright in a chair to lying down, takes a bit of getting used to, at 3,000 miles I haven't adjusted the seat in about 1,000.

I'm also 6foot.

I slid the seat back as far as it could go and as low then lifted the thigh support to make it more cup shaped before adjusting the height, backrest and lumbar, then slid it forward to give myself a comfortable distance to the pedals, then steering wheel and mirrors. I've had back pain for ten years driving my old car, pretty much gone now, I drive about 2 - 2.5 hours per day.

Both the types of adjustments (notably the lack of adjustable under-thigh support) and the range of adjustments (not enough height adjustment, nowhere even NEAR enough squab tilt adjustment) are both inadequate in these cars, and is by far the biggest weakness as far as I’m concerned. I don’t find the car particularly comfortable as a result. I’m 6’3”, for reference.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Ah yes... fond memories of my Recaro LS pair I had in my 1971 Capri and 1980 RX-7. They're still in my garage. I kept them with the hopes of converting them into office chairs but apparently nobody makes the frames anymore.

I’d bet you could find someone capable with a welder willing to custom fab if you weren’t too concerned about aesthetics. YOu’d need to make sure to do some math to account for center of gravity so you don’t flip it, though :)

I’d bet you could find someone capable with a welder willing to custom fab if you weren’t too concerned about aesthetics. YOu’d need to make sure to do some math to account for center of gravity so you don’t flip it, though :)
Perhaps if I remove the front section of the glass roof and sit on two or three cushions it will solve my aching butt?

• Funny
Reactions: run-the-joules
Yes, I think that was the main reason why Recaro discontinued making those office seat frames. Very easy to tip over of one were to tilt the seat back.

Try this as a test

Roll up a towel (big enough to be maybe 1-2 inches in thickness when compressed with your weight) and wedge it right in the angle between backrest and seat cushion.

Go for a drive and see if you get the same tightness in top of hamstring/glute etc. Aka “the butt muscle”.

If you do, you are compressing your lower back and “butt muscles” too much and need to adjust your seat so you are being folded up less by your seating position.

Sorry to talk about your butt muscles on our first date - but I suffer badly from back trauma in nearly all cars and it’s 100% due to the lower back and top of butt sinking down into that join in the seat too much. If I can tilt slightly higher at that point and maintain good under-thigh support then I’m fine.

You will take some time to adjust from SUV legs to a smaller/more traditional/lower car type driving position but it should be possible to find the right combo over a period of weeks or low months.

If you buy a sturdy microfibre towel in the right colour you can keep it handy to use as temp alleviation for the problem, and it won’t wear the seat. Alternatively find a memory foam pillow the right size and put a covering on it.

Also take advantage of your charging stops / 5 mins here and there to *ahem* stretch the butt muscles. Sorry.

Good luck - I know exactly what you are describing as have suffered from the problem for 10+ years - but you should be able to find a way to make it work.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Although I've only had my model 3 lr since early March and I have only done 1000 miles, my impression of the car is that it is somewhat uncomfortable. I am 6' tall and find on journeys of over 45 mins, I am beginning get butt ache and an aching in my achilles tendon in my right leg.
As the footwell is so shallow there is no comfy place to put your foot on autopilot.
With my previous car a Discovery Sport I had no such problems even when travelling 450 miles per day touring around Spain.
I have the steering wheel at its' upper limit and the seat at its' upper limit but still not comfy on longer drives.
Your height should be in the sweet spot for fit, unless you've got some odd proportions!

My recommendation is to make sure your butt is wedged in properly, and then raise the angle of the thigh support, ie the front of the seat cushion. Your right leg needs support if you are getting a butt cramp. In your old vehicle, you were more upright. Now, you're lower, so your leg is raised more, you need to raise the seat cushion angle to properly support it.

I'm 5'11" and find the seats very comfortable even on long(er) trips. I use to drive a GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 adn while that was very comfortable, this ride is even better. That said, i've never had AC'd seats before but these seats seem to get warm. Live in Texas so that's not unusual but I wouldn't mind cooling seats.

I'm 5'11" and find the seats very comfortable even on long(er) trips. I use to drive a GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 adn while that was very comfortable, this ride is even better. That said, i've never had AC'd seats before but these seats seem to get warm. Live in Texas so that's not unusual but I wouldn't mind cooling seats.
It's funny you should say that. Our recent warm UK weather has convinced us that cooling seats would be an advantage even here in the UK.

Let's not conflate things. SUVs have tall upright positions. Sportier cars want to place the driver down low for better center of gravity. They also tend to have lower rooflines for aerodynamics. And especially for Tesla there is the battery in the floorpan to raise the floor.

If you want a captains chair position, you're in the wrong class of vehicles.

If you need more height, try sitting on some sort of pad. There's ample headroom to allow for that.

Specifically for the seats in the Model 3, it does lack some squab support, so it's not as nice as BMW with extendable squab....and the seat is flat'ish and not as ergonomic as it can be. But is mostly fine.

I’m used to sporty cars and not SUV’s - but the Model 3 is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I have owned luxury cars for the past 25-30years and I have an aching 67 year old butt and body too.

My wife is orthopedically a mess - many surgeries (none ever help) and she was surprised that such a basic car as the Model 3 was so comfortable for her.

I think part of the varying opinions is that YMMV, and also that the Model 3 seats have quite a bit of adjustment to them. Because there is no ice engine, and that you don’t need to raise your seat to see better, I bet people keep their seat height lower than needed. It likely mimics an ICE car. I raise my seat high - get an outstanding view of the road and am in a very different configuration than when driving an ICE car. I’d recommend that people try it if not already doing so.

I personally tend to find driving with AP (no FSD for me) to be difficult. I just can’t relax as I am more at attention than if I actually drove the damn thing. So I drive it. Relaxing more tends to make sitting hurt less in the long run.

Just my opinion, though.

Try this as a test

Roll up a towel (big enough to be maybe 1-2 inches in thickness when compressed with your weight) and wedge it right in the angle between backrest and seat cushion.

Go for a drive and see if you get the same tightness in top of hamstring/glute etc. Aka “the butt muscle”.

If you do, you are compressing your lower back and “butt muscles” too much and need to adjust your seat so you are being folded up less by your seating position.

Sorry to talk about your butt muscles on our first date - but I suffer badly from back trauma in nearly all cars and it’s 100% due to the lower back and top of butt sinking down into that join in the seat too much. If I can tilt slightly higher at that point and maintain good under-thigh support then I’m fine.

You will take some time to adjust from SUV legs to a smaller/more traditional/lower car type driving position but it should be possible to find the right combo over a period of weeks or low months.

If you buy a sturdy microfibre towel in the right colour you can keep it handy to use as temp alleviation for the problem, and it won’t wear the seat. Alternatively find a memory foam pillow the right size and put a covering on it.

Also take advantage of your charging stops / 5 mins here and there to *ahem* stretch the butt muscles. Sorry.

Good luck - I know exactly what you are describing as have suffered from the problem for 10+ years - but you should be able to find a way to make it work.
Thank you for that info. It certainly sounds sensible. Will be getting my towel out today!