Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes anything communicating with your car can cause vampire loss. Don’t install third party crap that communicates with your car and then complain to Tesla about vampire drain.

But the 3rd party app takes the labor out of scientifically testing for drain. What's the other way to test? I don't know if I open the door if I have screwed up the test by waking the car. Same for launching the Tesla app (which I tried to use recently and found it much less scientific, mostly just screen grabs before bed and after waking).

If I just use a 3P app and go about my day and let it record, over time I can see if, say, an update makes a difference in my car's behavior.

-Randy

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV and MP3Mike
If I just use a 3P app and go about my day and let it record, over time I can see if, say, an update makes a difference in my car's behavior.

Not if the third party app prevents the car from going into a lower power state that an update made available. (The act of observation can change the results.)

I would think the only way to really tell is to record the time and range when you get out and then again when you come back to the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
And a new point from me. I unplugged the car for 48h (after it was plugged but not driven for a week). I did not drive for another couple days. When I started yesterday morning, I was shocked to see it was nearly empty: 50 miles. It usually charges to 90% around 270 miles. When I left the car at the office, I rebooted, and the drain over 12 hours was only 1 mile. This is weird.
I have been finding that an occasional full reboot (with brake depressed) after an update helps works out many of the issues. Many of the issues people have reported (map issues. drain, phone keys, etc..) all wind up clearing up after the full reset.

Oh the TM3, it's my understanding that the brakes pressed/not pressed doesn't change the reboot. In both cases it takes 12 seconds for the screen to come back online. I believe the full reboot on the TM3 is to power off using the screen, wait 3 minutes, then open the door or press the brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Oh the TM3, it's my understanding that the brakes pressed/not pressed doesn't change the reboot. In both cases it takes 12 seconds for the screen to come back online. I believe the full reboot on the TM3 is to power off using the screen, wait 3 minutes, then open the door or press the brakes.
Ok....good to know.

Regardless of how you do it, my point is simply to make sure you do a reboot post software update. I definitely found some things to clear up after the reboot.

I have heard the opposite, but I have no hard proof. That said, a hard reset requiring the brake pedal with the buttons makes sense so it can do more than just reset the UI's OS safely.

I mean that's not what the Tech support on the phone told me. But I also timed it with a stopwatch 2 days ago (unless my car is broken), I did a reset with just the scroll wheel, it took 10-12 seconds to reboot. I did a reboot while holding brakes and holding both scroll wheels, also 10-12 seconds to reboot.

I have heard the opposite, but I have no hard proof. That said, a hard reset requiring the brake pedal with the buttons makes sense so it can do more than just reset the UI's OS safely.

Also, a hard reset requiring the car to "power off" as I was stating, also means that your car is in PARK. Which requires even more than simply holding the brake while in drive. It also will shut off the HVAC system and does a complete closure of the vents after 3 minutes.

After a week of good feedback on Firmware 2018.14.13, I reenabled Teslafi to log my data on Model 3, so far the results are inspiring.
From what the data shows, Model 3 went from parking to sleep within 3-4 minutes:

TeslaFi1.jpg

TeslaFi2.jpg

And during sleep mode, the battery consumption is reduced tremendously:
Day 1, 15.5 hours, 0.19 kWh, 0.85 Miles:
TeslaFi3.jpg

Day 2, 12 hours, 0.06 kWh, 0.28 Miles:
TeslaFi4.jpg

TL;DR:
1. 2018.14.13 finally keep my Model 3 vampire drain within specs.
2. Model 3's Sleep Mode rocks.
3. Teslafi is Model 3 friendly.

Last edited:
I am on 2018.14.13 and loosing way more than 1-2 miles a day:

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 5.43.46 PM.png

Since this is what it's been like the entire month I have had the car I don't know what to expect. It's not like suddenly I have crazy vampire drain, it's just normal and makes me sad.

-Randy

Last edited:
I am on 2018.14.13 and loosing way more than 1-2 miles a day:

View attachment 296808

Since this is what it's been like the entire month I have had the car I don't know what to expect. It's not like suddenly I have crazy vampire drain, it's just normal and makes me sad.

-Randy
On Saturday April 21st you lost 1 mile only.

Did you do anything different that day?

On Saturday April 21st you lost 1 mile only.

Did you do anything different that day?
That was the day of the server outage. I also only had 1-2 mile lost that day. I had speculated that the drain might be due to data dumps to Tesla server. With the server out of commission wondering if that impacted drain. Anybody else see different numbers from that day?

That was the day of the server outage. I also only had 1-2 mile lost that day. I had speculated that the drain might be due to data dumps to Tesla server. With the server out of commission wondering if that impacted drain. Anybody else see different numbers from that day?
Im starting to wonder the same thing. Especially now that Tesla asks to gather the video data from all the cameras for the autopilot system... thats gotta take some energy to do all that uploading.

Wonder if you decline to provide that data, if you would see much less vampire drain...

I still lost a whole bunch of mileage that day, so I don't think it's API related. -- Now I wonder if maybe you guys lost way less mileage that day if you are tracking using TeslaFi, maybe you are losing mileage cause TeslaFi or whatever you are using to track keeps waking the car to poll the data... when the API was down, it didn't.

I don't use any of these services, and API going down didn't make a difference for my drain.

Im starting to wonder the same thing. Especially now that Tesla asks to gather the video data from all the cameras for the autopilot system... thats gotta take some energy to do all that uploading.

Wonder if you decline to provide that data, if you would see much less vampire drain...
I haven't gotten that notice yet, asking for permission to upload video data. I'm on 14.13.

I still lost a whole bunch of mileage that day, so I don't think it's API related. -- Now I wonder if maybe you guys lost way less mileage that day if you are tracking using TeslaFi, maybe you are losing mileage cause TeslaFi or whatever you are using to track keeps waking the car to poll the data... when the API was down, it didn't.

I don't use any of these services, and API going down didn't make a difference for my drain.
No other services...just Tesla.

I've been asking on Discord, Reddit, and local people who own Model 3s, pretty much no one is losing drain like we are. Everyone I've asked is losing 1-3 miles per day. I don't know what the hell is wrong with our cars. Telsa just keep saying that it's just firmware that will get fixed later....