Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been watching my battery for 3 days now with 2018.12.1, I’m losing almost a mile every 1.3 hours or so, lost 9 miles in the last 12 hours.

The week before the update I was on 10.5 and was losing only 1-2 miles per 24 hours.

Basically the same for me as well. Vampire drain has been noticeably worse with 12.1. On 10.5 I would probably only lose 2-3 miles a day. Now it’s probably closer to 10-12 miles a day since installing 12.1.

So the pedal reset doesn't work?

I have never heard of this pedal reset option. I did a quick search and I'm guessing you're referring to pressing down the brake pedal while also holding down the scroll buttons on the steering wheel? From what I've read that's supposed to be a different kind of reset than just holding down the scroll buttons without pressing the brake pedal down. I'll have to give this a try when I get home.

Pedal Reset instructions that we referred to are specific to the Model 3. You go to settings and power off the car. You wait 3 minutes, doing nothing. Then you press on the brake pedal to turn it back on.

This is different from the MCU reset when holding both scroll wheels. This is what I was told by support. I was never told of the "Press buttons while holding brakes" method.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Pedal Reset is Specific to the Model 3. You go to settings and power off the car. You wait 3 minutes, doing nothing. Then you press on the brake pedal to turn it back on.

This is different from the MCU reset when holding both scroll wheels. This is what I was told by support. I was never told of the "Press buttons while holding brakes" method.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. The "pedal reset" I found in my searches appears to apply to the S and X. Not sure if it also applies to the 3.

I have never heard of this pedal reset option. I did a quick search and I'm guessing you're referring to pressing down the brake pedal while also holding down the scroll buttons on the steering wheel? From what I've read that's supposed to be a different kind of reset than just holding down the scroll buttons without pressing the brake pedal down. I'll have to give this a try when I get home.

Yes. normal reset just reboot the central display, some glitches might get fixed with it. (You can even do this even in driving)
Press brake and push both wheel will do a deep reset, took more time to reboot, but definitely will need you to park the car.

@URFIR3D mentioned click the 'power off' button on display to reset the system is suppose to be the same with deep reset. It's just sometime this method doesn't work, you can read previous post in this threads, back when firmware 2017.50, people report the car won't `power off` after click the button, so I'd say 'Press brake and push both wheel' might be better solution.

Last edited:
Pedal Reset instructions that we referred to are specific to the Model 3. You go to settings and power off the car. You wait 3 minutes, doing nothing. Then you press on the brake pedal to turn it back on.

I tried powering off from the menu and waited at least 3 minutes (probably closer to 5) and then tapped the brake pedal. Car came back up instantly, seems like it was more in a sleep mode than actually powering off. After that I held down the brake pedal while doing the two scroll wheel button reset and my Model 3 took a little while to reboot. I think this may have done something to improve the drain on my car. Charging session last night finished a little before midnight last night and I charged up to 276 miles. When I left for work about 8 1/2 hours after the charging session finished my car still showed 276 miles of range, so basically no drain at all overnight. We'll see if this holds true for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
I parked my Model 3 in the garage on Wednesday after having charged it to 95%, showing 295 miles

I then revoked TeslaFi's access, and force quit out of TezLab and the Tesla apps. Supposedly there will be nothing keeping the car awake now.

I just came back from the cabin, so 3 days sitting. I had to use the card key to lock it up and now to unlock it. Before I even touched it, only opened the garage door and already I was hearing click, clack, tick, bonk. I unlocked the car and sat down inside. I had never noticed the screen not wake up when I am in the car. I started thinking I needed to launch the Tesla app, but before I got my phone out and into the app the screen lit.

Only 263 miles left after just over 3 days sitting. That's 10 miles a day of loss. Dam noisy car too. What Am I Doing Wrong?

I backed out of the garage and the backup camera was black. I remembered that people had explained that if I don't put the seatbelt on it won't light up. As I passed the RV suddenly the backup camera display came on. Like 30 seconds into backing up... I had LOOKED at my seatbelt before it started working. again... What Am I Doing Wrong?

OK, I'm just here waiting for whatever update is after my current 2018.10.5, hopefully, that will make my life better.

-Randy
I thought keeping the batteries with more than 90 percent electricity was bad? Ie it was supposed to be for trips

I thought keeping the batteries with more than 90 percent electricity was bad? Ie it was supposed to be for trips

First, to make your posts clear, when quoting someone you should edit their post down to the salient bits. Otherwise people have to read the entire original post trying to figure out what you are talking about.

Second, yes, it is best for your batteries to not be charged very high and then stored. They like it best if you sit them at 50% if you are not going to touch them for a while. My reason for the charge so high was I was charging for free, and I have been losing lots of power so I didn't expect to keep the power I put in. I have long since used and charged and used and charged, so the batteries didn't sit long.

-Randy