Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what the hell is wrong with our cars. Telsa just keep saying that it's just firmware that will get fixed later....

Rest assured, when I started this threads, most people respond were confident their Model 3 are within 1% daily specs, I'm the minority. so it might take them some time to figure out why your car is different.

Reactions: cellogig
(This "news" below isn't really new -- I believe the manual was updated back in March -- but I hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere on TMC, so I figured I'd respond to my earlier post on the subject in this thread...)
It's good that it's improving, but losing 2 miles over only 9 hours still extrapolates to 5.3 miles/day (1.7%/day or 12%/week), which is way over what the manual states, which is <3%/week with Energy Saving Mode OFF and <1%/week with Energy Saving Mode ON.

The latest Model 3 manual has significantly changed the descriptions of what to expect for vampire drain compared to earlier versions.

Originally it said this:
"On average, the Battery discharges at a rate of <1% per week with energy saving mode ON and <3% per week with energy saving mode OFF."
(Note the "<" symbols)

Now it says this:
"On average, the Battery discharges at a rate of 1% per day."

1% per day is 2.3 times higher than 3% per week. And no "<" symbols.

And, of course, the Energy Saving Mode is still nowhere to be found, but 1% per day is 7 times higher than what was originally published with this theoretical mode.

And I suppose the "on average" bit gives them some leeway for the folks seeing 6% per day lost.

:(

Last edited:
It seems like 14.13 fixed if it a lot of people. I’m curious how many of us are on 14.13 9e3b7ff and still have ~20 miles per day loss.

Everyone I ask in real life or on discord, so 20 people are so, don’t have range loss issues.
Mine is sporadic. Sometimes 1-2 miles lost overnight, sometimes 5-6 miles. I’ve given up worrying about it at this point.

That's bizarre. I'm struggling to think of a rationale for why that would be the case.

Anyone else seeing something similar re: locked vs unlocked?
When my car was at body shop, they left in the garage unlocked and definitely saw higher drains. I assumed that the car would not sleep if left unlocked. Nowadays when locked, the car is constantly going to sleep.

I wonder if those with higher vampire drain are in marginal cell coverage (AT&T) areas. This might cause the car to repeatedly retry phoning home before whatever communication succeeds, limiting the time when the car can sleep. Or maybe there is some stray Bluetooth signal confusing it (your own phone or some other device). Marginal wireless signals may be hard to track down, although you'd think the car logs would provide insight.

Mine is sporadic. Sometimes 1-2 miles lost overnight, sometimes 5-6 miles. I’ve given up worrying about it at this point.
I know I said I have stopped worrying about this... but just thought I would throw out a data point. My car has been in the shop being worked on (getting springs changed out) for most the morning with it unlocked and trunk and frunk open. In the last 7 hours, it has lost 1 mi. I have continuously poked it to check in on it. So this points to Tesla doing data collection or running some processes on the car in the evening. Even my MX loses (3-4 mi per 24 cycle) less range than my M3 now. Just sayin...

A. You shouldn't poke it, since that wakes it and will use more battery that way. Instead, you should look at your car using the widget if you are on IOS, it will show if you the mileage and if the car is awake or not. (Swipe left from the home screen) and enable the widget.

B. Tesla doesn't actually PULL the logs from the Model 3 for the diagnostics, they DO pull logs for the S/X. A tech told me that the logs are actually automatically sent to a central server every 10 minutes either way, so when a tech wants logs, they pull them from a central server that already has the logs, not from your car.

A. You shouldn't poke it, since that wakes it and will use more battery that way. Instead, you should look at your car using the widget if you are on IOS, it will show if you the mileage and if the car is awake or not. (Swipe left from the home screen) and enable the widget.]

Been poking it intentionally to see its effect on the range. The point is--even poking it every hour, it doesn't impact the range. So again, there is some process that is happening at night that drains the battery.

My battery drain isn’t specifically at night... its more that the car uses X amount of power in the day. If it’s awake all day it will use X. If it goes to sleep, then it uses less, but when it wakes up it makes up for it by using a lot of power in less time, so in 24 hours I’m still using X amount.

So I lose 20 miles per day, sometimes it will sleep for 6 hours where I lose nothing, but then it wakes up and will comes 5 miles in 2 hours.

Maybe they can fix it as part of the rear bumper damage? That kind of thing can actually knock out some sensors in the car - another reason to investigate the causes of the drain.
Pretty confident the body shop did a great in repairing everything. I saw the car when they took it completely apart and everything functions perfectly. I would probably dare to say any fitment issues that I hadn’t noticed before were probably fixed.

Anyways, I am not the only one seeing intermittent drain issues and unlike URFIR3D, my drain was definitely reduced after the latest update. So I guessing that there is some other X factor that Tesla is controlling whether it be software or server related. I don’t believe it is hardware related.

So with that, I am going back to not worrying about this.

Well my drain started after I got the car back from service (and they updated me to 2018.12.1), they did some tests on my AC cause it was weak, they said it was fine. MY AC has still be bad and started showing faults; it’s at the SC now again, they think I have a bad low pressure sensor on my SC compressor. So who knows, it COULD be sensor related.

Random thought:

What if Vampire drain was from front vents and/or charge port door cycling over and over?
And what if that was intentional as part of some test code designed to exercise / stress those motors / mechanisms to check MTBF... ?

Tesla skipped the pre-release "beta" cycle, but maybe some of the early cars have "stress tests" running on them?

Maybe this was code meant only for company fleet vehicles that got enabled on customer cars by mistake?

Again, just pondering things with no facts to back it up.