Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 didnt brake / stop!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend has the 20" tires. He said when it gets cold out, EVEN DRY, those tires will start to slip when it gets cold.
I know this isn't those tires, but they are not Winter tires. People don't realize that Winter Tires don't turn into sliding plastic bricks when it gets cold out, BESIDES the additional grip on the snow and ice.

This, for the moment, sounds like ABS kicking in for the conditions it was in, for the tires it's on.
And it can be really freaky/scary when you step on a brake and you feel ABS going but the car feels like it's on grease.

I suspect winter tires will solve it. Great idea on an earlier post to test drive it in a empty parking lot (with some snow) and learn the feel of how the car behaves.

Quick update, so went to sc and what I was told is that there was an error detected but didn't elaborate much on it. Road conditions were probably more of a.factor. the way they explained it was that v8 didn't fully go out some parts were "stuck in the middle" of v8 and v9. But overall they said if it happens again (shouldn't) just note a time stamp and call them.

FWIW, even if there was an error, what everyone else is saying is also correct: Perfectly functioning ABS brakes CAN behave the way you described (where the pedal just pulses and the car doesn’t slow down much faster compared to just coasting) if traction is poor due to cold weather or ice. And all-seasons get worse traction as temperature falls, and their snow performance is really only acceptable for the first 25% of their tread life anyway (and when I say acceptable I mean not ice skates).

I’d also point out:
A Study Just Found Driving & Talking On The Phone Is Even MORE Dangerous Than You Thought

When conditions are bad (or in general), it’s probably a good idea to keep phone conversations to a minimum when you know your loved ones are driving. Reacting to a stop sign too late is the textbook effect of trying to multitask between a conversation and driving.