Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 DIY Light kits: Review and installation tips, with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I got the door streamers done and I really love the way they look. I’m finally done with this kit woohoo. Overall I think I am at about 16 hours total.

If you’re serious about ambient lighting, this is night and day to any product you’ll find on Amazon. The work is worth is IMO and the touch screen control has really grown on me.

These door streamers are BRIGHT too! I had to lower the kit brightness for the first time tonight.

Here’s pics of solid purple (my fave) and then the streamer rainbow effect

These streamers were designed for the rear doors and were a little short, so I centered them on the door panel to get them as close to the dash panel as I could. I think they look good!

I’m finishing the edits on the install video and should have it posted tomorrow some time if anyone wants to punish themselves lol it’s truly worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 217
Ok so I got the door streamers done and I really love the way they look. I’m finally done with this kit woohoo. Overall I think I am at about 16 hours total.

If you’re serious about ambient lighting, this is night and day to any product you’ll find on Amazon. The work is worth is IMO and the touch screen control has really grown on me.

These door streamers are BRIGHT too! I had to lower the kit brightness for the first time tonight.

These streamers were designed for the rear doors and were a little short, so I centered them on the door panel to get them as close to the dash panel as I could. I think they look good!

I’m finishing the edits on the install video and should have it posted tomorrow some time if anyone wants to punish themselves lol it’s truly worth it!
Purple is my go-to color for LED. Love it. That does look sick. 16 hours scares me, though :(

Reactions: PauliePucks
Purple is my go-to color for LED. Love it. That does look sick. 16 hours scares me, though :(
It’s totally doable. You can do it over several days/weeks. The install is modular so you can tackle a different part every time. Once you get the main wiring done it’s pretty straightforward. I was also videoing the entire install so it did take me a bit longer as I was moving my equipment around.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Just posted the install video on my channel - it’s about 1.5 hours long but broken down by chapter for easy navigation lol

Oops forgot the link! (Thanks @GreenHokie)

Disclaimer: I did pay for this kit, but received a discount for producing this video. I’m sharing link for this thread since I’ve been active in it for some time and am an avid ambient lighting fan. Mods can delete if necessary!

Last edited:

Paulie, do you know is there a way to install this without having the touchscreen control on the center console, and still have everything work?

I’m fine controlling it from an app (because I’ll pretty much set it to one color and leave it), and I want the center console to still look OEM.

I want the OEM/finished look of these more expensive laser-engraved kits (as opposed to the tacked-on light pipe ones), but I don’t want a visible control panel.

I actually just finished installing something similar today! It’s Hansshow’s light kit and pretty happy with it so far.

My only complaint is that the kit didn’t come with light strips for the rear doors or for underneath the seats in the back which sucks cause the site advertises them being there. I’ve reached out to support to get some answers but wondering if anyone else got this kit and also missed these pieces.

8rSmooxNOGs8C9bYPL4upySYulzCAU1_CkDvw1CrPjXAnmV0DYcnhFShbehZgKmZuRcYZ6Xj6o1IHpc1MSV0kfQgJFO7t...jpeg

Attachments

• cuwIgrr_BmX2u0_7KCfkY-Y3n9ZNpfXPizYPupwKgyprLaDYlJNXJoN9mMhTNSKgvt7xsjaDO4jk9iHqyHsqd6oeZHhgI...jpeg
    cuwIgrr_BmX2u0_7KCfkY-Y3n9ZNpfXPizYPupwKgyprLaDYlJNXJoN9mMhTNSKgvt7xsjaDO4jk9iHqyHsqd6oeZHhgI...jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 204
Paulie, do you know is there a way to install this without having the touchscreen control on the center console, and still have everything work?

I’m fine controlling it from an app (because I’ll pretty much set it to one color and leave it), and I want the center console to still look OEM.

I want the OEM/finished look of these more expensive laser-engraved kits (as opposed to the tacked-on light pipe ones), but I don’t want a visible control panel.
There is another version which uses the Tesla screen instead of the control panel.

Satonic is the only company I’ve seen that has it -

It’s a very bizarre setup - the lighting controls are done by press sequences on the touch screen in the headlights control menu - it’s not a dedicated lighting menu, as the description would make you think.

I.e. - press high beam button twice to activate streamer LEDs press auto headlights to save settings…something like that. Lighting kit is the same it seems.

Hello everyone. I have partially completed the install of the Hansshow ambeint light kit. Here is the link to what I bought. 2021+ Model 3/Y Ultra RGB 64-color Ambient Lighting System | Hansshow I have everything installed except for the rear door lights. The wires have to go from the interior of the car through the rubber conduit between the car and the door. The issue is that the Hansshow instructions are horrible. The video goes in a strange order, is are not in english and the subtitles are hard to decipher, and the video / instructions (just screenshots from the video) do not show the pertinent parts of the car in detail. Also, the interior of the door panel from the instructions must be from a different model year than mine (Model 3 Performance 2022),

I am trying to get the wire from where it enters through the rubber conduit, through the panel. There are 2 little access holes that are covered by rubber. I want to use one of these access holes to route the wire through and In this picture I am showing where I have routed the wire through (after removing the rubber cap). My question is.... is this dumb? Is there a better way to do this? Any IDEAS?

By the way, it says 4-6 hours for this install. So far I am at like 24 hours and still have the rear doors to do!

20230803_144122.jpg

Hello everyone. I have partially completed the install of the Hansshow ambeint light kit. Here is the link to what I bought. 2021+ Model 3/Y Ultra RGB 64-color Ambient Lighting System | Hansshow I have everything installed except for the rear door lights. The wires have to go from the interior of the car through the rubber conduit between the car and the door. The issue is that the Hansshow instructions are horrible. The video goes in a strange order, is are not in english and the subtitles are hard to decipher, and the video / instructions (just screenshots from the video) do not show the pertinent parts of the car in detail. Also, the interior of the door panel from the instructions must be from a different model year than mine (Model 3 Performance 2022),

I am trying to get the wire from where it enters through the rubber conduit, through the panel. There are 2 little access holes that are covered by rubber. I want to use one of these access holes to route the wire through and In this picture I am showing where I have routed the wire through (after removing the rubber cap). My question is.... is this dumb? Is there a better way to do this? Any IDEAS?

By the way, it says 4-6 hours for this install. So far I am at like 24 hours and still have the rear doors to do!

View attachment 962489
Nice work - check out the video I posted, I did a full install guide on my channel for this kit, maybe we can compare notes and make an even more comprehensive guide for the masses lol the provided instructions for this kit are absolute trash!

I did not do the rear doors because I have a 2019 so I used those rear door strips on the front.

However, I believe the way you are running the wires is correct, you should be able to replace the rubber cap without issues.

I’m not sure how identical our kits are, but I know for mine, the LED streaming bars for the rear doors used a 3-pin connection (same as the dash panel) and not a 4 pin. I had to run those leads from the main control hub under the center console as they did not plug into the black main arterial harnesses (if that makes sense?) which only have 4 pin connectors.

Feel free to shoot me a DM if you need help!

I recently purchased a similar kit from AliExpress Click Link Here
light kit 2.jpg
The main difference is the cupholder looks more OEM with minimal buttons instead of the the touchscreen interface.
cupholder.jpg
However, the kit did NOT come with that 12V tap wire as seen in many other kits... I believe this is it? Click Link Here
Wire.jpg
I found this alternative on Amazon but I'm not sure if it will be compatible with my specific kit Click Link Here
wire 2.jpg
Someone on Facebook mentioned they used a 12V wire by the passenger footwell but I'd rather not splice into anything, if that would be the case.

I currently have an installer waiting on the AliExpress seller to send clearer instructions.
So the whole situations is stressing me out now haha

Follow up: The seller sent me this photo. It looks to be an adapter hooked up behind the rear air vent panel. Could this be where power is being tapped?
View attachment 968086
That’s the rear CANBUS connection - what year/model is your car? Some newer Y’s don’t have this connection anymore.

Also, not sure why they’re going with this connection for power, it’s going to be difficult to route to your control box because it’s at the rear of the console.

Jay feel free to DM me if you’re still stuck.

You should be getting power from the 12v plug on the cigarette lighter.

Is this kit the one that uses the Main screen to control, as opposed to the cup holder touchscreen panel? Sorry if you already mentioned this, I didn’t catch it.
Hey. No worries. It has 3 illuminated buttons on a replacement cup holder. No touchscreen
cupholder.jpg

I got the car back from the installer and all the lights are working now so I think the CANBUS adapter did the trick.

I noticed a lot of the new Ali Express trim kits have either:
-a cigarette adapter
-a CANBUS adapter
-or want you to splice into passenger footwell.

There doesn't seem to be a standard for these.
I guess it depends on your kit and wires included from the seller.

Hey. No worries. It has 3 illuminated buttons on a replacement cup holder. No touchscreen
View attachment 969191

I got the car back from the installer and all the lights are working now so I think the CANBUS adapter did the trick.

I noticed a lot of the new Ali Express trim kits have either:
-a cigarette adapter
-a CANBUS adapter
-or want you to splice into passenger footwell.

There doesn't seem to be a standard for these.
I guess it depends on your kit and wires included from the seller.
Yeah there are a few different kits, that’s for sure. Did your kit also have the control boxes for each door?