Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 DIY Light kits: Review and installation tips, with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another tip regarding the light strip from AliExpress that you will be using on the dashboard.

1. Slide/remove the pre-applied & pre-shrunk tube from the end of the light strip.
2. Cut away & discard some of that pre-shrunk tube.
3. Slide the trimmed pre-shrunk tube back on the end of the light strip. At this point, you may want to gently hit this area with a heat gun to get a little more shrinkage from the rubber tube to make the fitting more secure/tight.

A combined photo is attached below to demonstrate what I said in step 1,2,3.
I did this to maximize the light that you will see at each end, once everything is installed and lit up.
Note, the last photo shows that I also added a smaller diameter shrink tube to cover the inner core/light tube.

D1F0C79E-67E9-4DA8-9B5F-695E929EBA5F.jpeg

Thanks @GreenHokie as always. Also, like to report that the kit from AliExpress I got has some heatshrink included (a surprise to me), so I'm just going to let it stretch a bit straight and then try to tackle installation sometime this week. I'm still ideally hoping to get some information how to remove the top side of the dash, which is the "rounded" soft-plastic part shown in the attached image.
tdash.jpg

The reason I'm interested in this, I'm hopeful to actually recess the strip a bit further back and play with how an "underglow" looks as opposed to the tube being visible or closer to the driver, not to mention will be much easier to line things up for adhesion and appearance. So far cannot find anyone who has taken this off which leads me to think it isn't as easy as I'm hoping.

Thanks @GreenHokie as always. Also, like to report that the kit from AliExpress I got has some heatshrink included (a surprise to me), so I'm just going to let it stretch a bit straight and then try to tackle installation sometime this week. I'm still ideally hoping to get some information how to remove the top side of the dash, which is the "rounded" soft-plastic part shown in the attached image.
The reason I'm interested in this, I'm hopeful to actually recess the strip a bit further back and play with how an "underglow" looks as opposed to the tube being visible or closer to the driver, not to mention will be much easier to line things up for adhesion and appearance. So far cannot find anyone who has taken this off which leads me to think it isn't as easy as I'm hoping.

Yeah, the light strips from AliExpress also come with small white hollow sleeves/tubes (see photo below). You’ll want to slide these white sleeves onto the very end of the inner light tube. These white sleeves will both protect the inner light tube from any excessive heat that is generated from the light emitter and will also provide a surface for the emitter screw to grip/clamp onto.

These light strips from AliExpress are very focused/directional and since the light is being emitted from only one side/edge of the light strip (all the other sides are covered in that silver foil), it will not be as bright as the traditional larger round light tubes that you find in all the other kits (from Nestour, Basenor, etc…). So, I’m not sure how effective/good of an underglow you will get if you decide to recess the AliExpress light strips deeper behind the dashboard. Certainly worth a try, but I have a feeling you may not like the result (may not provide enough of any underglow effect).

F9B3263D-F038-4B66-83C3-6A8C8B5ECC78.jpeg

These light strips from AliExpress are very focused/directional and since the light is being emitted from only one side/edge of the light strip (all the other sides are covered in that silver foil), it will not be as bright as the traditional larger round light tubes that you find in all the other kits (from Nestour, Basenor, etc…)

Yeh, I do like the look of the AliExpress ones a lot but if I had some easy access to try higher diameter larger strips from other brands and see if the underglow is closer to what I like, then I'll go with that if I have to. I actually prefer things be a bit muted so we'll see how it turns out once I get my hands dirty with it.

how are these holding up long term?

i originally bought the basenor kit but i park outside and within a matter of months the sun has completely dimmed the fiber optic lights on one side as well damaged as the sleeve itself.

not sure if another product would do better in the sun or they are all the same.

how are these holding up long term?

i originally bought the basenor kit but i park outside and within a matter of months the sun has completely dimmed the fiber optic lights on one side as well damaged as the sleeve itself.

not sure if another product would do better in the sun or they are all the same.
Not sure anyone has any of these long enough to determine durability. I installed the SUMK light strips & controller/emitters on my center console around mid-December of last year and then added the above referenced AliExpress light strips to my dashboard in late January of this year. So, only about 2-1/2 months of daily use at most for me. So far, I have not seen any degradation in the light strip material or any drop in brightness. However, my side windows are tinted and I typically use a sun shade on my front windshield if my vehicle will be parked all day in the sun (but only during summer months when it’s hot). During the colder months, I never use a sun shade for the windshield regardless of how long the vehicle will be parked outside.

For sure, the quality of the light strips from SUMK and this one from AliExpress are superior to the normal tubular light strips used by everyone else (Basenor, Nestour, etc…). This is based on my own experience from previously trying/using the light strips from both Basenor and Nestour. However, I suspect even the SUMK and AliExpress ones would also be susceptible to some UV damage with prolonged direct sun exposure. Your best approach/solution may be to always use a sun shade when parked outside for extended periods/hours. Another possible cause for the drop in brightness that you are seeing is the light emitter. I have heard/read that it is not uncommon for some of these emitters to go bad in a matter of months.

I am expecting my light strips to last for the life of my vehicle and the controller/emitters to last at least a few years. The controller/emitters are inexpensive and very easy to replace & re-install. So, I don’t mind having to replace these every few years if needed.

Well in a welcome unexpected turn of events, my AliExpress package arrived today, a month earlier than planned 😄

On a more concerning note, I received a package from China in NJ faster than I did from Washington State, which were ordered on the same day. 🙃

Will get into installing it tomorrow!!!

So, having a bit of trouble. Originally, I simply wanted white lights, but recently the "white" setting is not working. In fact, selecting white shows the exact same color as "yellow", while all the other color combinations (red, green, blue, purple, etc) all work completely fine.

What could be to blame for this, would it be the box the cables (including power source) plug into, or would it be the light emitters themselves some how? All the light emitters are giving off the same color in sync properly by the way.

So, having a bit of trouble. Originally, I simply wanted white lights, but recently the "white" setting is not working. In fact, selecting white shows the exact same color as "yellow", while all the other color combinations (red, green, blue, purple, etc) all work completely fine.

What could be to blame for this, would it be the box the cables (including power source) plug into, or would it be the light emitters themselves some how? All the light emitters are giving off the same color in sync properly by the way
Sorry to hear. So, at one point, the white setting worked properly. But now, the white setting actually outputs yellow on all emitters/lights? If so, then I think your controller (the small black box) has gone bad/haywire. I suggest reporting it as defective and initiating a return with Amazon, so they can ship you a new replacement. Hopefully, the particular kit you have is in stock.

Keep us posted…

Sorry to hear. So, at one point, the white setting worked properly. But now, the white setting actually outputs yellow on all emitters/lights? If so, then I think your controller (the small black box) has gone bad/haywire. I suggest reporting it as defective and initiating a return with Amazon, so they can ship you a new replacement. Hopefully, the particular kit you have is in stock.

Keep us posted…
Fortunately, I have spare ones of the controller, but I'm scared this is going to keep happening. Will replace and report back.

Welp, another snag, I have 3 of the "smaller" controllers, which are smaller physically than the one I am currently using, and I cannot get any of these to connect to bluetooth leading me to believe they need to be used in addition to the "main" large one, which as of now, unfortunately, doesn't work for me, since only one power source.

Any ideas if this controller is universal enough that I can find one online elsewhere while I go via Amazon for a return? I am not even sure if the return would work since I have butchered the cables and won't want to undo the currently wired cables anyway.

EDIT: Amazon will accept the return (with just the unused pieces), but I'm going to have to order an entirely new kit as a replacement just for a controller which I would love to just find just the black box controller, or figure out how to get the smaller ones to work.

Last edited:
Welp, another snag, I have 3 of the "smaller" controllers, which are smaller physically than the one I am currently using, and I cannot get any of these to connect to bluetooth leading me to believe they need to be used in addition to the "main" large one, which as of now, unfortunately, doesn't work for me, since only one power source.

Any ideas if this controller is universal enough that I can find one online elsewhere while I go via Amazon for a return? I am not even sure if the return would work since I have butchered the cables and won't want to undo the currently wired cables anyway.

EDIT: Amazon will accept the return (with just the unused pieces), but I'm going to have to order an entirely new kit as a replacement just for a controller which I would love to just find just the black box controller, or figure out how to get the smaller ones to work.
In addition to getting the replacement from Amazon, I would also suggest contacting the seller directly to report your problem and request a replacement of just the main controller. You will likely be communicating with someone in China. So, keep your email/description short and easy to understand. The seller will likely ship you a whole new kit rather than just the main controller. If so, then you’ll end up with a second new complete kit/controller as a back-up spare for future needs.

Not sure anyone has any of these long enough to determine durability. I installed the SUMK light strips & controller/emitters on my center console around mid-December of last year and then added the above referenced AliExpress light strips to my dashboard in late January of this year. So, only about 2-1/2 months of daily use at most for me. So far, I have not seen any degradation in the light strip material or any drop in brightness. However, my side windows are tinted and I typically use a sun shade on my front windshield if my vehicle will be parked all day in the sun (but only during summer months when it’s hot). During the colder months, I never use a sun shade for the windshield regardless of how long the vehicle will be parked outside.

For sure, the quality of the light strips from SUMK and this one from AliExpress are superior to the normal tubular light strips used by everyone else (Basenor, Nestour, etc…). This is based on my own experience from previously trying/using the light strips from both Basenor and Nestour. However, I suspect even the SUMK and AliExpress ones would also be susceptible to some UV damage with prolonged direct sun exposure. Your best approach/solution may be to always use a sun shade when parked outside for extended periods/hours. Another possible cause for the drop in brightness that you are seeing is the light emitter. I have heard/read that it is not uncommon for some of these emitters to go bad in a matter of months.

I am expecting my light strips to last for the life of my vehicle and the controller/emitters to last at least a few years. The controller/emitters are inexpensive and very easy to replace & re-install. So, I don’t mind having to replace these every few years if needed.

thanks for the info. i did contact the original manufacturer and they gave me another set, it instantly lit up again so i don't think its the emitter. i only had to replace the fiber optic strand. unfortunately, within a few months it also went dim again.

i think im going to try buying the aliexpress tubes and use them with my current emitters (i have them tied into the footwell lights with a relay). i might try ceramic coating the tube to see if it protects against UV damage. or just get a tint, i've been on the fence about it.

ceramic coating the strips could be beneficial - although you’d have to use something formulated to prevent fading.

I wonder if something like gyeon leather shield could work, it’s designed for interiors and prevents fading and staining.

I would test it on a scrap piece if available to see if there is any hazing/frosting etc.

ceramic coating the strips could be beneficial - although you’d have to use something formulated to prevent fading.

I wonder if something like gyeon leather shield could work, it’s designed for interiors and prevents fading and staining.

I would test it on a scrap piece if available to see if there is any hazing/frosting

good idea. i have some leftover material from the backup kit they sent. im going to apply it and put it out by the window and see how well it holds up. it'll take a while for the aliexpress order to get here anyways.

so, I got a refund for the broken SUMK kit, a couple things to report:

The new 2021 kit is different from the original one I ordered. This time, they include multiple controllers, one is called main, the others branch, I guess they're interchangeable which is which but the important thing to note is the design is sort of different, they include the current ambient lights which are under driver and passenger side as replacements, these function as power sources for the LEDs.

I have not tested this out, and I'm "sort of" skeptical to use this, here's why:

A) it does modify the car, which could void "warranty" if Tesla finds out, since it's putting an additional load (albeit low) on that light source.
B) it means I now have more points of failure for each controller

However, some major positive changes here:
1) they removed the heat shrink material on the fiber runs itself, it has the sleeving but none of the outer part which would melt
2) this kit as it stands, can be installed without any splicing of cables, and no major trim removal other than where the lights are replaced.

I have not measured the lengths of those cables yet but looks to me like you could put the strips where you wish, either in the dumb location they suggest, or run it on the vents without any splicing extensions here.

I'll report back when I get some time to install them, but they came on a Sunday night so didn't have time today. It seems the controllers for the most part are the same as the other kit I got, not sure if there's any major difference between the "main" and the "branch" controller, there's just 2 "branch" and 1 "main", the "main" one is labeled for driver side dashboard, while the two branches are console/passenger, but it's simple tech so could get away with swapping them around easily most likely. The cigarette adapter is just about the same with a slightly different cable type.

Edit: adding photos

PXL_20220307_081625094.jpg

PXL_20220307_081527796.jpg

Last edited:
so, I got a refund for the broken SUMK kit, a couple things to report:

The new 2021 kit is different from the original one I ordered. This time, they include multiple controllers, one is called main, the others branch, I guess they're interchangeable which is which but the important thing to note is the design is sort of different, they include the current ambient lights which are under driver and passenger side as replacements, these function as power sources for the LEDs.

I have not tested this out, and I'm "sort of" skeptical to use this, here's why:

A) it does modify the car, which could void "warranty" if Tesla finds out, since it's putting an additional load (albeit low) on that light source.
B) it means I now have more points of failure for each controller

However, some major positive changes here:
1) they removed the heat shrink material on the fiber runs itself, it has the sleeving but none of the outer part which would melt
2) this kit as it stands, can be installed without any splicing of cables, and no major trim removal other than where the lights are replaced.

I have not measured the lengths of those cables yet but looks to me like you could put the strips where you wish, either in the dumb location they suggest, or run it on the vents without any splicing extensions here.

I'll report back when I get some time to install them, but they came on a Sunday night so didn't have time today. It seems the controllers for the most part are the same as the other kit I got, not sure if there's any major difference between the "main" and the "branch" controller, there's just 2 "branch" and 1 "main", the "main" one is labeled for driver side dashboard, while the two branches are console/passenger, but it's simple tech so could get away with swapping them around easily most likely. The cigarette adapter is just about the same with a slightly different cable type.

Edit: adding photos

View attachment 777737
View attachment 777738
Wow that’s interesting…did they change the dash strip to a single piece? The in line footwell wire is pretty nice, it eliminates the need to make the runs from the hub in the center console all the way to the dash. It’s pretty easy to run that footwell wire up to the dash panel (had to do it for steering column phone Mount/charger).

Is your kit for a 2021-22 or 2018-2020? I would return mine for the newer one you received since it’s within the 30 days still, but only if they fixed the dash lighting. I haven’t had the chance to splice the emitter lines and run them yet, if I could get an out of the box package that worked, I’d be all for it.

As an aside - I don’t think adding the additional lights to the footwell lights will do anything voltage wise. I have the abstract ocean rear footwell lights installed and they too plug into the front footwells and I have no had one error or issues.

Wow that’s interesting…did they change the dash strip to a single piece? The in line footwell wire is pretty nice, it eliminates the need to make the runs from the hub in the center console all the way to the dash. It’s pretty easy to run that footwell wire up to the dash panel (had to do it for steering column phone Mount/charger).

Is your kit for a 2021-22 or 2018-2020? I would return mine for the newer one you received since it’s within the 30 days still, but only if they fixed the dash lighting. I haven’t had the chance to splice the emitter lines and run them yet, if I could get an out of the box package that worked, I’d be all for it.

As an aside - I don’t think adding the additional lights to the footwell lights will do anything voltage wise. I have the abstract ocean rear footwell lights installed and they too plug into the front footwells and I have no had one error or issues.

Dash strip is not a single piece, however, it's terminated VERY closely now, to the point where you could probably glue them together. It's a thin piece of hard black plastic, probably as thick as a fingernail. I would imagine it would still have a "gap" visible just as before, but much less pronounced. I am baffled as to why they would not have just made it a single strip honestly. Doing that would easily make this kit miles above the competition. I would send a pic but I left the kit in the car. The kit I got is a 2021 Y/3 center console+dashboard for $49.99 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JZ3883X?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1 )

I'm going to go ahead and give this install a try when I get a chance. My primary concern is 3 controllers instead of one, I have already had one go bad not able to generate the white color I want, so adding more seems to risk that, but honestly, at the price, I think it's a decent risk.

Dash strip is not a single piece, however, it's terminated VERY closely now, to the point where you could probably glue them together. It's a thin piece of hard black plastic, probably as thick as a fingernail. I would imagine it would still have a "gap" visible just as before, but much less pronounced. I am baffled as to why they would not have just made it a single strip honestly. Doing that would easily make this kit miles above the competition. I would send a pic but I left the kit in the car. The kit I got is a 2021 Y/3 center console+dashboard for $49.99 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JZ3883X?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1 )

I'm going to go ahead and give this install a try when I get a chance. My primary concern is 3 controllers instead of one, I have already had one go bad not able to generate the white color I want, so adding more seems to risk that, but honestly, at the price, I think it's a decent risk.
I went ahead and ordered that kit. Going to try to to Frankenstein the Two kits together.

How does the App work with the three controllers? Do they all pair to the app, or is one connected and then repeated to the other two?

I would imagine the controller I have now from SUMK would not be compatible with this newer set. Are there still 4 total Emitters on the new kit?

Thanks for the update