Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 driving with surfboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Dommmm

Hi all,
Wanted to check, does anyone get a board inside the car and if so what size?
Was thinking the one rear seat down a slide a board in diagonal, so it ends up between the front seats.
Got a 7'4 and would rather not obscure that amazing panoramic roof :) also I imagine efficiency is somewhat pushed with roof bars and a board.

Many thanks Dom

does anyone get a board inside the car and if so what size?
I usually have two shortboards in mine - most often a 5’7 and a 5’11 - with half the back seat (the wider half, which for me in Australia is the left one) folded down. They fit in behind the passenger seat that way just fine with plenty of room to spare (and the passenger seat in its normal location).

A fairly terrible photo I took a couple of months ago:
0387894B-6B71-4901-BCB5-B4FE0B56DC89.jpeg

I have also put in a 7’ foamie at the same time (also diagonal, no need to run it up between the front seats) - had to have the fins out of one of my shortboards so that all 3 boards would fit (I didn’t have a key for the fins on the foamie and all my boards have FCS2 fin boxes so took no time).

The model 3 works out great as a surf car. I take one of the RFID key cards with me in the water - in a zipper pocket in my boardshorts in the summer, and on a lanyard under my wetsuit in winter - but also can lock/unlock the car from an app on my Apple Watch which I always wear surfing, so the RFID card is really just a backup.

Reactions: Dommmm
I usually have two shortboards in mine - most often a 5’7 and a 5’11 - with half the back seat (the wider half, which for me in Australia is the left one) folded down. They fit in behind the passenger seat that way just fine with plenty of room to spare (and the passenger seat in its normal location).

View attachment 665185

I have also put in a 7’ foamie at the same time (also diagonal, no need to run it up between the front seats) - had to have the fins out of one of my shortboards so that all 3 boards would fit (I didn’t have a key for the fins on the foamie and all my boards have FCS2 fin boxes so took no time).

The model 3 works out great as a surf car. I take one of the RFID key cards with me in the water - in a zipper pocket in my boardshorts in the summer, and on a lanyard under my wetsuit in winter - but also can lock/unlock the car from an app on my Apple Watch which I always wear surfing, so the RFID card is really just a backup.
Thanks Ted,
The old board is 6'6 and haven't picked up the new 7'4 and wondered, so that's a relief.
Great tip on the ziplock also! thanks. I think the front trunk will be handy for wetsuits too, looking forward to getting it and getting some adventures in.

3 boards is plenty! That's a full boot, good stuff. Looks like it's a fun car for you.

nice 1 again, Dom

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Hi Ted,

Could you please let me know if a surfboard will fit angled the other way?

I have a toddler in a car seat so I have to keep the passenger side up (in Australia).

I much prefer the 3 LR to the Y, but don't like putting boards on the roof.

Thanks!

View attachment 665185

Hi Ted,

I have a toddler in a car seat so I have to keep the passenger side up (in Australia).

I much prefer the 3 LR to the Y, but don't like putting boards on the roof.

Thanks!.

Got it - you want the booster seat on the kerb side of the car, so put the back seat on the driver’s side down and put your board in left-to-right.

I pulled my boards out of my car this morning after my early surf and wasn’t going to surf for the next couple of days. If I get a chance later tonight or tomorrow I’ll grab one of them and drop the back right seat and see how it goes and let you know.

Off the top of my head I reckon you’d need to have it sideways (ie rather than flat) and likely pop the fins out too. Will give it a go with one or other of my usual boards (whichever I put on the lower level of the wall rack above the car - because it is easier to reach :) ) and let you know how it goes.

Sorry for the delay. I just grabbed down one of my boards - 5'11" CI OG Flyer in a day bag (note I had the fins already out) - and put it into the car with the driver's side back seat (the narrow one) folded down.

It actually fit in pretty well. I reckon it would fit in like that with the fins still in the board (didn't try, sorry), and maybe you could even fit two boards in without fins on that narrow side of the car as long as they aren't too wide. Maybe up to about a 6'3 or so would fit, but I don't think you'd want to go much longer than that. Photos below - you'll guess (correctly) from the amount of sand in my car (rubber mats FTW) that it spends a fair bit of time at the beach ;)

As you can see there is still heaps of space for a wetty bag and other assorted stuff, as well as the board is nowhere near the passenger (wider) side rear seat

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0922.jpeg

Sorry for the delay. I just grabbed down one of my boards - 5'11" CI OG Flyer in a day bag (note I had the fins already out) - and put it into the car with the driver's side back seat (the narrow one) folded down.

It actually fit in pretty well. I reckon it would fit in like that with the fins still in the board (didn't try, sorry), and maybe you could even fit two boards in without fins on that narrow side of the car as long as they aren't too wide. Maybe up to about a 6'3 or so would fit, but I don't think you'd want to go much longer than that. Photos below - you'll guess (correctly) from the amount of sand in my car (rubber mats FTW) that it spends a fair bit of time at the beach ;)

As you can see there is still heaps of space for a wetty bag and other assorted stuff, as well as the board is nowhere near the passenger (wider) side rear seat

View attachment 919991

View attachment 919992
Thank you so much! You're awesome.

My boards range from 5'11" to 6'4" so that looks good.

I love the idea of a Y for boards and trips, but prefer sedans and the range of the 3LR for long surf trip. A Long Range 2022 is about the same as a 2022 Y on Carsales.

Thanks Again.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot