Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Efficiency - May not be as good as S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been tracking my efficiency with a great app called Stats
‎Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3

If you haven't noticed this one before, I personally really like the visualizations it gives you on your data!

One thing I noted that among users,I think overall, the model 3 isn't as efficient with the energy use as I initially thought it would be. But I don't get what's going on really and hopefully, some of you can clue me in on things. I mean, the car is 'rated' for 310miles at 100% SOC. I think I read somewhere here that if you drive around 240 or so wh/mi (I think that's right but could definitely be wrong) then you 'should' theoretically hit that... Now that's great because I think for the equivalent battery pack on an S or X would yield less miles at 100% SOC right? But according to the numbers, it seems like the three just either isn't as efficient or may have more potential locked up somewhere.

The creator of the app chimed in here...
My car's efficiency compared to others

Now, in my P3D+, even driving conservatively (just commuting to work), I'm about in the middle of efficiency among Model 3 owners.. Better than 47% approximately... Which is good enough for me. But then when I look at the data of all Tesla owners (S3X) I'm only better than about 23% or so... Vs S only, I'm in the teens...

Now, I'm only measuring things really with my conservative driving as anything else, I'm going to count that as an outlier!

Thing is, I'm pretty sure by 'Model 3' data, it's all models including the RWD models and not just my AWD P model. Even in this YouTube Video,
he's stating that on his model, (I know after AC etc) he's probably estimating his at about 250miles!

Maybe @rawmean can chime in at some point!

With articles like this - Tesla Model 3 Performance version gets efficiency of 116 MPGe – significantly lower than standard version I'm hoping to see if there's a possibility that our cars can get better with age with software OTA updates.

Anyone with S or X models see their efficiency go up with software updates?

If you haven't noticed this one before, I personally really like the visualizations it gives you on your data!

One thing I noted that among users,I think overall, the model 3 isn't as efficient with the energy use as I initially thought it would be. But I don't get what's going on really and hopefully, some of you can clue me in on things. I mean, the car is 'rated' for 310miles at 100% SOC. I think I read somewhere here that if you drive around 240 or so wh/mi (I think that's right but could definitely be wrong) then you 'should' theoretically hit that... Now that's great because I think for the equivalent battery pack on an S or X would yield less miles at 100% SOC right? But according to the numbers, it seems like the three just either isn't as efficient or may have more potential locked up somewhere.

Now, in my P3D+, even driving conservatively (just commuting to work), I'm about in the middle of efficiency among Model 3 owners.. Better than 47% approximately... Which is good enough for me. But then when I look at the data of all Tesla owners (S3X) I'm only better than about 23% or so... Vs S only, I'm in the teens...

Now, I'm only measuring things really with my conservative driving as anything else, I'm going to count that as an outlier!

Thing is, I'm pretty sure by 'Model 3' data, it's all models including the RWD models and not just my AWD P model. Even in this YouTube Video,
he's stating that on his model, (I know after AC etc) he's probably estimating his at about 250miles!

With articles like this - Tesla Model 3 Performance version gets efficiency of 116 MPGe – significantly lower than standard version I'm hoping to see if there's a possibility that our cars can get better with age with software OTA updates.

Short answer —-> no ...what changes efficiency is driving habits ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Short answer —-> no ...what changes efficiency is driving habits ;)

Well then I’m pretty much screwed. LOL when I start really laying in on this P like I did my last car... sigh. So when people get 100% efficiency, exactly how are they driving? Definitely NOT following traffic though that’s for sure.

Also, if it’s driving habits, does this mean Model 3 owners as a group have worse driving habits than s and x owners as shown by the data?

It takes at least 1000 miles for the tires to “ break in”. The car itself may get better for over 10,000 miles. The difference can be quite significant. Electric cars are sensitive to more things than ices.

How does the Model 3 compare with OVERALL energy use....not just how much energy is used during driving...but also when the car is "off".

the efficiency and performance in that video does not compare to my efficiency. I normally see the kw/mile rated between 225-235 overall. Sometimes lower on highway only, longer road trips, sometimes MUCH lower with in town 30-40 mph, but only if not a lot of start/stop.

The last road trip I did, up to napa and back, it was 95 miles each way. Car showed I had used 89 miles to actual cover the 95 mile distance. LOTS of start top at some sections of getting onto and off highway in and around Napa. Always with AC on at 70 and about 95 degrees outside.

So, Im pretty confident that if it says 311 after full charge, I'm going to get pretty darn close to that. Not anywhere near 250. I'll know soon enough when I do a trip south to Palm Springs, CA and we plan to only charge once at about 280 miles into the trip.

The thread title is nearly offensive. I keep seeing Model 3 drivers discussing fantastic watt hour per mile numbers like 220 and 240, while it's a struggle for any Model S to get under 300, and for the X, more like 350.
Weight kills. It's all proportionate. Can you imagine what a M3/100 would be like!.. over 400 miles rated range easily.

Last edited:
My AWD 3 is showing 225 wh/mile and I hit very close to the rated mile range. I charged up to 278 (90%) and when I got home from work, it is usually at about 155. My commute distance round trip is 121 miles. But I also lost about 5 miles sitting in the work parking lot for 9 hours when it is hot due to cabin overheat protection. I drive about 75 to work, and about 45 to 65 back (traffic) and most of the trip on autopilot.

Thread is misnamed: The problem is the term "efficiency" as coined by the Stats app is not real energy efficiency - it's basically a comparison of actual range vs. real range.

The thread should be titled "Is the model 3 rated range more aggressively set than that of the Model S/X?"

Actual efficiency is Wh/mile - any model 3 of any variety kicks the pants of the Model S & X by that measure.

If, however, Tesla set the range more conservatively for the Model S & X, then it's easier to achieve that number in real life (which seems like it might be the case based on your data) - this is what Stats appears to be misleadingly reporting as "efficiency"

So you're not discovering that the model 3 is less energy efficient - the model 3 is by far more efficient in terms of energy use per mile. What you're finding is that it is harder to meet or beat the rated range (probably because Tesla set that range more aggressively for the 3).

How does the Model 3 compare with OVERALL energy use....not just how much energy is used during driving...but also when the car is "off".

In the app, it looks like I’m having crazy phantom drain compared to most. :(

There is probably a steep efficiency cost for the 20" performance wheels compared to the aero wheels with the covers on. In highway driving that can make a pretty big difference. The aeros come with tires intended to improve range at the expense of performance too.

I bet this is it. Wonder if any other P3D+ owners can chime in on their

Thread is misnamed: The problem is the term "efficiency" as coined by the Stats app is not real energy efficiency - it's basically a comparison of actual range vs. real range.

The thread should be titled "Is the model 3 rated range more aggressively set than that of the Model S/X?"

Can I change the title? Definitely not meant to “offend” as stated by another poster... LOL sensitive folks!

Well then I’m pretty much screwed. LOL when I start really laying in on this P like I did my last car... sigh. So when people get 100% efficiency, exactly how are they driving? Definitely NOT following traffic though that’s for sure.

Also, if it’s driving habits, does this mean Model 3 owners as a group have worse driving habits than s and x owners as shown by the data?
I seem to get the equivalent of 310 mile range. I range between 200-300 wh/mile. I’m not an aggressive driver...not punching it at lights, but I’m at rated speeds. I’m not usually passed on the freeway but neither am I playing pole position. I’ve gotten pretty good at using regen rather than braking.

Exactly that. It's a really wrong word choice. It's like someone saying this Ford F-350 pickup is more "efficient" than the Ford Focus because it happens to be easier to match the EPA rating specification. That's not efficiency. And yes, that is the fault of the Stats app, but I sure wouldn't repeat their mistake, spreading that false impression.