Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
I live in California and up until recently I had been ignoring the state law that requires drivers to display their front license plate. I recently received a ticket for not having a front plate and I do not want that to happen again, so I did some research. I did not want to use the ugly factory mount which ruins the beautiful design of the front of the Model 3. I had used "no drill" front tow hook license plate mounts on my previous cars before and I was pretty satisfied with them, so I figured I would do the same for my Model 3. I found this mount on ebay, which I will attach the link for. It worked very well for me. I didn't have any issues with sensor blockage at all and the plate sits nice and close to the bumper. I've been using it for two months now and it's been great. I think it preserves the look of the car pretty well. If I ever want to go back to how the car originally was, I can just remove the mount and it won't leave any trace.

Hope this helps anyone that has to mount their front plate as well!

Makellos Tesla Model 3 Front Tow Hook License Plate Mount No Drill | eBay

• Informative
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
That off-centered mount would make my OCD drive me nuts.... I'm still waiting on my M3 order but been looking at this model;

OTTOSTICK TESLA MODEL 3 MAGNETIC FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER

It's more $ than the one you shared, but is also "no-drill" and is actually removeable (they have a non-magnetic version for less $$$, but still no drill, no tape). I'm not associated with the product or company in any way, and just trying to figure out what

I've also considered the License Plate Wrap but not sure the "sticker" version is very appealing to my eye.

Reactions: OutofPocket
That off-centered mount would make my OCD drive me nuts.... I'm still waiting on my M3 order but been looking at this model;

OTTOSTICK TESLA MODEL 3 MAGNETIC FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER

It's more $ than the one you shared, but is also "no-drill" and is actually removeable (they have a non-magnetic version for less $$$, but still no drill, no tape). I'm not associated with the product or company in any way, and just trying to figure out what

I've also considered the License Plate Wrap but not sure the "sticker" version is very appealing to my eye.
Haha I know what you mean, thankfully my OCD isn't as strong. I saw some mounts that go in the grill but I personally am not comfortable messing with or putting something in the grill. I would hate for the grill to snap from someone bumping into the mount or block the car's cooling systems. I feel like the sticker could leave some residue after a few years and it just looks a little odd to my taste. The makellos one on ebay was the least expensive I could find that didn't block or harm anything and it was very straightforward to install. I didn't want to spend too much money on it either, I might end up going back to no plates and paying the tickets one day lol.

Hey everyone,
I live in California and up until recently I had been ignoring the state law that requires drivers to display their front license plate. I recently received a ticket for not having a front plate and I do not want that to happen again, so I did some research. I did not want to use the ugly factory mount which ruins the beautiful design of the front of the Model 3. I had used "no drill" front tow hook license plate mounts on my previous cars before and I was pretty satisfied with them, so I figured I would do the same for my Model 3. I found this mount on ebay, which I will attach the link for. It worked very well for me. I didn't have any issues with sensor blockage at all and the plate sits nice and close to the bumper. I've been using it for two months now and it's been great. I think it preserves the look of the car pretty well. If I ever want to go back to how the car originally was, I can just remove the mount and it won't leave any trace.

I found this solution on ETSY between $10-$13. Works well, looks great and you cam remove it easily by TeslaKingGoods

• Disagree
Reactions: Shamrock17
Haha I know what you mean, thankfully my OCD isn't as strong. I saw some mounts that go in the grill but I personally am not comfortable messing with or putting something in the grill. I would hate for the grill to snap from someone bumping into the mount or block the car's cooling systems. I feel like the sticker could leave some residue after a few years and it just looks a little odd to my taste. The makellos one on ebay was the least expensive I could find that didn't block or harm anything and it was very straightforward to install. I didn't want to spend too much money on it either, I might end up going back to no plates and paying the tickets one day lol.

The Ottosteer works via a magnet. The plate is lodged onto the nose just like the original stick-on. So it doesn't increase likelihood of the frill snapping and it doesn't block any air flow (like the Etsy one does. I've tried 3 different solutions for temporary front license installs and I like the Ottosteer one the best.

Reactions: TS-LA143
Hey everyone,

This is the front license plate mount I ended up buying for my Model 3... Premium Original Tesla Model 3 No Hole / Non Stick front license plate hardware STAINLESS Steel /Painted, NO RUSTING ... It's very easy to mount (took less than 5 minutes), doesn't block any cameras or sensors, and the only drilling required is two small holes in the (stick-on) plastic factory plate mount that comes with the car, but without actually sticking it on the car. I like that it lowers the plate a few inches from where the stick-on factory plate holder would normally mount.

This is the front license plate mount I ended up buying for my Model 3... Premium Original Tesla Model 3 No Hole / Non Stick front license plate hardware STAINLESS Steel /Painted, NO RUSTING ... It's very easy to mount (took less than 5 minutes), doesn't block any cameras or sensors, and the only drilling required is two small holes in the (stick-on) plastic factory plate mount that comes with the car, but without actually sticking it on the car. I like that it lowers the plate a few inches from where the stick-on factory plate holder would normally mount.
I've got this one and love it. Very easy to install.

I got a great solution from ETSY and it was just $10 and it mounts below the front bumper and looks much better than others. Oh and did I mention its just 2 bolts and was $10? by TeslaKingGoods
That's what I got. Have you had issues with the top part of the license plate mount staying aligned with the body? Mine keeps slipping off. Maybe I'm not tightening the bolts enough. I'm afraid I'll crack the grill if I tighten them anymore. So the top part of the mount barely even touches the car.

Actually the one that I got from Etsy meets all of those and cost about $20. But.....it actually hangs down below the front bumper just a tad and I've already bent the license plate a little on the corner. Otherwise, it's a pretty cheap solution. I do think that I'll end up getting the Snap Plate eventually because I'm afraid of damaging the front lower grill or bending the plate further.

That's what I got. Have you had issues with the top part of the license plate mount staying aligned with the body? Mine keeps slipping off. Maybe I'm not tightening the bolts enough. I'm afraid I'll crack the grill if I tighten them anymore. So the top part of the mount barely even touches the car.

Fear of damaging the grille is exactly what keeps me away from the toggle bolt style mounts. It's so not worth it to save a few dollars on a mount that's going to potentially cause damage. I also don't like that it touches the paint.

I'd go with SnapPlate, OttoStick, the replica sticker, or OEM, in that order.

Actually the one that I got from Etsy meets all of those and cost about $20. But.....it actually hangs down below the front bumper just a tad and I've already bent the license plate a little on the corner. Otherwise, it's a pretty cheap solution. I do think that I'll end up getting the Snap Plate eventually because I'm afraid of damaging the front lower grill or bending the plate further.
That actually blocks the radiator the entire width of the plate. It's probably the worst offender for blocking airflow.