Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Gripes 2 Months later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no reason why you can't test other phones, though. If you can get friends to spend 20 minutes with you, with a promise of a nice Tesla ride as the reward, you can pair their phones to the car and do some testing, and then tell the car to forget the phone when you're done.

As for phone breakage, a good Otterbox-type case will go a long way, though personally I just pay $100 for AppleCare insurance on my iPhones, so that if I do drop it and break it it's just a small cost to have them fix it or give me a new one.
Good Idea and I agree. Problem is I've managed to break them even with Otterbox and while the $175ish or whatever phone insurance is something I did have, they actually drop you from insurance when you file to many claims in a 12 month period! The ironic part about this as soon as I got the really cheap phone, its holding strong

My car is current in service for the airbag sensor warning. On the phone they said they might just have to fix the sensor but when I brought it in the SA said maybe they need to change out the airbags, hopefully not.

I rarely get the autopark icon to show up too. I've only got 600 miles though so who knows if it's still calibrating correctly. The ultrasonic sensors seem to work great when manually parking though.

Thought of another thing thats a small gripe:
Fast Discharge Rate. I would be very hesitant to leave my car at an airport or anywhere but a place I can charge for extended periods of time. This one may be from ignorance and perhaps there's a way to fix it. Twice I've driven to a further airport than the closest to get a direct flight (maybe 80 miles ish). Both times I was gone for about a week. The cars range dropped about 36ish miles in range. I assume this is cause it occasionally has to check in to network so you can access it via phone, to sense bluetooth signal, and it was cold. It would be nice if you could dial this back check in rate back. The first time I drove to the airport I wasn't at all worried about range and ended up being at 6% when I got back home and I was pretty nervous on the way back. It does make me appreciate the 310 mile range as I would of thought the 220 miles would of been more than enough to accomplish this feat but it would of come up short, and superchargers are short in supply in Ohio.

For clarity, I'm very happy with my car and don't regret the purchase just wanted to summarize everything from a new Tesla users perspective since most reviews even from independent 3rd party companies I've found come from previous Tesla owners or "people that drink the kool-aid". I say that as no offense but just mean people that stand by the brand as described in quote below. I plan to make a reverse post about all the things I really like about the car too which I think at least some are rarely mentioned.
Not every one is positive. We have seen tons of non sense reviews about “lack of physical buttons”, then we see other reviews where the car is compared against the leaf and bolt... “..and it’s a tie!!!”.

One discrepancy in my personal experience has been that both the seats and floormats have been incredibly easy to clean, and it has been quite a muddy spring where I live.

Definitely have loads of problems with Bluetooth. One weird error I run into constantly is that it will let me into the car, but not start driving. My leading theory right now is that this has to do with the phone being in my left pocket, with my body blocking the signal.
Interesting on floor mats, the all weather replacement ones I got are working a lot better I can say.

Regarding Bluetooth I've had this happen to me too. Never really troubleshooted it but with that theory have you tried putting your phone in center console or such to see if it fixes it?

Definitely have loads of problems with Bluetooth. One weird error I run into constantly is that it will let me into the car, but not start driving. My leading theory right now is that this has to do with the phone being in my left pocket, with my body blocking the signal.

Yeah this is the case for me. I get in the car. Car no longer sees the phone. I start to pull the phone out of the pocket to check on the phone key status in the app, and voila, car picks up the phone.

But I've had this issue with my Model S fob sometimes. I walk up to the car and the handles don't present. I reach in my pocket for my fob, and the act of moving it a bit triggers the car.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
  1. Auto-park icon rarely shows up if I wanted to use it. However, given how auto-park works I would avoid this as it likes to adjust the steering wheel while the car is stopped. This cannot be good for the life of the tires.

I agree with you here, but for a different reason. Turning the steering wheel while not moving is not bad on the tires, but it is incredibly stressful on the steering components. It takes a lot of force to rotate 2 tires that aren't rotating. There's just a ton of friction between the tires and the road. My dad has told me since I was 5 years old to never turn the steering wheel (on anything you drive) unless the vehicle is moving. And you can definitely feel the difference between sitting still and barely moving - it goes from hard to turn to very easy.

Why does Tesla have to provide them? Just buy these... They're great:

https://www.amazon.com/ToughPRO-Tesla-Model-Floor-Mats/dp/B0792RW471

This has been discussed in other threads and the general consensus is they may be fine in some climates but where it snows they aren't adequate.
Like the posts below I'm waiting for the Weathertech "floorliner" mats which you can get for the Model S & X. Based on feedback from Weathertech they should be available soon.

Those are kinda hideous though, to be fair. A lot of us are waiting for the Weathertech mats.

I'm waiting for the weathertechs. I got the Tesla branded Weathertech frunk and trunk mats and they look great. Fit is perfect.
I also have the Weathertech frunk and trunk mats and agree they look and work great.

Tesla needs to abort this phone key abomination
FWIW, I've been driving Model 3 daily for the past 10 days and have had zero (i.e., nada, 0, bagels, ziltch) problems with my phone talking properly with the car. 100% success. (iPhone 6S, btw) In fact, I laughed at myself yesterday because I went out to my LEAF to drive to the gym (that is now LEAF's sole job, so as to maintain the new car smell of Model 3 for as long as possible) and hadn't thought to grab the key fob, which very suddenly feels super old-school to me. I keep the Model 3 key card with me now as a habit (3 pieces of plastic in my pocket now, rather than just two), thereby eliminating any phone/bluetooth stress. But again at a 100% hit rate thus far over 10 days/500 miles, I've already adjusted to lack of fob and find the notion of a fob to be quaint. I suspect the vast majority of Model 3 users will have the same experience as I am having. Unfortunately, few will bother to post about positive experiences.