Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 heat pump noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the above everyone, remember a "Heatpump" is an AC system that transfers heat into the cabin instead of out of the cabin by changing the flow of refrigerant.
One point that might have been brought up already, there is waste heat from the Motors/Inverter and Battery that the Heatpump will use to assist in transferring heat to the cabin instead of just using the outside air.

This is the key and is a HUGE advantage, especially after supercharging in the cold.

I took delivery of my 2021 model 3 on December 26. I have significant noise when my climate control is on. It sounds like deep bass thumping and was told by Tesla service tech it has to do with new heat pump and octovalve. I actually thought it was coming from the subwoofer when I first got the car and thought maybe it was something to do with needing an update. It increases in regularity as outside and inside temp changes. Sometimes it’s so regular it’s like a heart beat. It’s so bad I am starting to regret my purchase somewhat. I had a Chevy bolt previously and actually miss a lot of the features it had like 360 camera view and satellite radio (I am frequently outside of wireless service areas and that’s the beauty of satellite). For a car that cost me over 20k more I just wish I had less issues but hey.. 1st world problems.

I took delivery of my 2021 model 3 on December 26. I have significant noise when my climate control is on. It sounds like deep bass thumping and was told by Tesla service tech it has to do with new heat pump and octovalve. I actually thought it was coming from the subwoofer when I first got the car and thought maybe it was something to do with needing an update. It increases in regularity as outside and inside temp changes. Sometimes it’s so regular it’s like a heart beat. It’s so bad I am starting to regret my purchase somewhat. I had a Chevy bolt previously and actually miss a lot of the features it had like 360 camera view and satellite radio (I am frequently outside of wireless service areas and that’s the beauty of satellite). For a car that cost me over 20k more I just wish I had less issues but hey.. 1st world problems.
That in no way sounds normal. I have a 2021 M3P with no such noise. I would challenge that. Tell then you want to demo a 2021 model of theirs.

The Model 3 Heat Pump I believe has an acoustic wrap that the original Model Y's did not have.

I don't have a great pre-heat pump comparison point but this hvac seems quite loud outside the car.
I notice it a bit sometimes when I'm driving, but really notice it when someone else is driving the car and pulls into the garage.

I don't think there is anything wrong per se, it seems to be functioning well enough.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone have any comparisons with the noise level of the new vs old?

Note to mod: *thank you for moving this...not sure why this thread didn't come up when i searched!*

Last edited:
I agree the heat pump seems very loud. I never realized noticed until I got a loaner without the heat pump and realized how quiet it was when driving compared to when my car is driving you definitely hear it. I kind of wish it wasn't so loud. It's neat driving and making no noise but that isn't possible with the HVAC on.

That in no way sounds normal. I have a 2021 M3P with no such noise. I would challenge that. Tell then you want to demo a 2021 model of theirs.

The Model 3 Heat Pump I believe has an acoustic wrap that the original Model Y's did not have.
Thank you very much for that additional data point. I did request to try to reproduce the noise on another 21 M3 and she offered up her personal vehicle. I was able to get it to make the same noise on initial startup at least but didn’t stay in it long enough to confirm if it was persistent like it is in mine( felt bad sitting with her in her car for a while due to covid). It’s dependent on outside temp and that day even mine wasn’t as bad. Of course the next day it was back to almost heartbeat frequency. Go figure.

I just got back from a road trip in 90 degree weather in my 2021 SR+ and man the heat pump was really loud. Like a very loud buzzing noise. While driving, it only buzzed really loud for the first few minutes but it buzzed the whole time while supercharging. Just wanted to add my experience to the thread. Not sure if other people have heard this loud buzzing during hot weather.

I am a model3 (2021) car owner from China. when i am waiting traffic light on road, the noise of "weng weng weng..." is very clear to my ear . the noise like many bee fly
around you.

and i go to local tesla service center, test more than 4 model3 cars. there are the same noise from the front of car.

so , i think it's common shorting coming from mode3 with heat pump.

that's all

Not sure the heat pump upgrade is all that great for people driving mostly in warmer climates, such as southern CA, given the noise the pump produces, complexity, cost and reliability; compared to the simple resistive heat coil. The heat pump in 2021 M3’s appears to generate noticeably higher levels of noise; buzzing, grinding, humming etc. compared to the resistive hvac heating. The heat pump upgrade seems to benefit people in cold climates; not sure it’s a better for people driving mostly in warm climates?

Reactions: Lindenwood
@DayTrippin That's interesting. I have the same positive experience as @hgmichna with the heat pump in my October 2021 Fremont built M3P. I can certainly hear the sounds the system makes, but it's in no way loud or objectionable. Nothing unpleasant in the slightest. Its noise levels seem comparable to a traditional automotive A/C system.

I'll also mention it's way, way more efficient and effective than the resistive heater in my Model S, at least in my mild climate (usually no freezing temps). So overall the heat pump gets two thumbs up from me.

I did test drive one 2021 Model Y, an MYLR. If the heat pump was quieter I couldn't tell over its obnoxiously loud wind noise. :( That Model Y as a whole was way louder than any of the 2021 Model 3s I've driven (two demo cars plus the one I bought). Sounds like 2021 Model Y assembly quality was still very much luck of the draw - you probably had a good one, while the one I tested was so bad I wrote off the Model Y entirely.