Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 highland build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have the model 3 highland how is build quality ? Are there still rattles, squeaks and lose parts? I just got a model y 2 months ago and now I'm starting to have squeaks and rattles which I've read is common. Agree with everyone that the parts just don't seem tight and tidy. Just curious if the build quality improved with he highland...seeing what to potentially expect when the juniper comes out. Just hoping Tesla improves their build.

For squeaks and rattles can a mobile tech come out or do I have to go into a service center?

Thanks guys

I have a 2021 MYLR and test drove a 2024 M3LR today. I was very impressed.

I have no squeaks or rattles in my MY after 3 years, but I found the interior cabin to be noticeably quieter on the M3 (less road noise). I felt the seats were more comfortable in the M3... and cooled! The suspension on the M3 was also more comfortable than on my MY. The rear seats on my MY are roomier than the M3, but I don't have that cool entertainment screen in the back like the new M3, so my guess is the kids would give the win to the M3. Not gonna lie, I had a little trouble with the removal of the stalks, but I think I would get used to it after a week or two.

I have zero complaints about my 2021 MY, but the 2024 M3 clearly showed iterative improvement. I suspect that the road noise and suspension improvements have already made their way into the latest Model Ys. The Juniper Model Y will add the rear seat entertainment screen, cooled seats, ambient lighting... and remove the stalks. Gonna be a great car, but I wouldn't trade a 2024 MY for it based on what I know so far.

Reactions: Jangy
I think the major difference in quality comes from where the cars were made. Gigafactory Shangai are known to be best built Teslas.
But I doubt US sold Teslas are Made in China. Made in China is now forbidden wording in US. 🤫
So US buyers of new TM3 Highland should speak about their Highland experience.

Reactions: mrplt and MarkoP
I think the major difference in quality comes from where the cars were made. Gigafactory Shangai are known to be best built Teslas.
But I doubt US sold Teslas are Made in China. Made in China is now forbidden wording in US. 🤫
So US buyers of new TM3 Highland should speak about their Highland experience.
Giga Shanghai is known to be best built compared to which? Made in China cars has never been a thing in the USA. China has never had good quality cars. Things may be changing now. I am curious if the Teslas built in Germany are very different.

That was true up to a few years ago. AFAIK Giga Shanghai produced Teslas have received positive quality experience and many folks outside of CONUS prefer MIC and Berlin Teslas over US made ones.
Case in point, I checked out a 2024 Model Y (Fremont) and the new M3H (Giga Shanghai). There is a marked difference in overall finish. I noticed over-sprays and "lack of paint" in some areas in the Y while the Highland was immaculately painted. The SA confirmed the same perspective from other customers too.
I feel China can scale up and down in quality based on the client's standards. Classic case is Apple's i-products.

That was true up to a few years ago. AFAIK Giga Shanghai produced Teslas have received positive quality experience and many folks outside of CONUS prefer MIC and Berlin Teslas over US made ones.
Case in point, I checked out a 2024 Model Y (Fremont) and the new M3H (Giga Shanghai). There is a marked difference in overall finish. I noticed over-sprays and "lack of paint" in some areas in the Y while the Highland was immaculately painted. The SA confirmed the same perspective from other customers too.
I feel China can scale up and down in quality based on the client's standards. Classic case is Apple's i-products.
That is some biased feedback. To be honest, NOBODY has access to BOTH Fremont and Shanghai cars. PERIOD. I love that CONUS people "know" the standard. And to seal the deal, you found an employee oversees that coroborated your notion? Do you really think that there is a single meeting at Tesla where the Quality of both factories is discussed? China isn't known for car quality. All of these cars are made using TESLA processes. NONE of them use the "local" know how. The real difference is the weak battery that is for everyone outside of the States.

That is some biased feedback. To be honest, NOBODY has access to BOTH Fremont and Shanghai cars. PERIOD. I love that CONUS people "know" the standard. And to seal the deal, you found an employee oversees that coroborated your notion? Do you really think that there is a single meeting at Tesla where the Quality of both factories is discussed? China isn't known for car quality. All of these cars are made using TESLA processes. NONE of them use the "local" know how. The real difference is the weak battery that is for everyone outside of the States.
Canada gets flip flopped back and forth as to whether they get cars from China or US. Europe has received both China and US built cars. People can also travel to different countries and can see Teslas made from different factories (eg car reviewers and influencers). So yes people can and have directly compared the build quality of both and the consensus is the Shanghai factory produces better built cars.

The quality of products coming from China varies depending on the manufacturer and their standards. Some cheap no name brand goods off Amazon/AliExpress/Temu will probably be bad quality. Products Made in China from major foreign companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Tesla etc can be great quality.

Canada gets flip flopped back and forth as to whether they get cars from China or US. Europe has received both China and US built cars. People can also travel to different countries and can see Teslas made from different factories (eg car reviewers and influencers). So yes people can and have directly compared the build quality of both and the consensus is the Shanghai factory produces better built cars.

The quality of products coming from China varies depending on the manufacturer and their standards. Some cheap no name brand goods off Amazon/AliExpress/Temu will probably be bad quality. Products Made in China from major foreign companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Tesla etc can be great quality.
We're talking cars here. What quality car is made in China?

Also, I don't care what an influencer says. The truth, AGAIN, is that NOBODY has that access so NOBODY should make those comparison statements when they don't know. We can speculate or even setup a comparison. But it is a bad reflection for anyone on one side that says the other is inadequate when they have no clue. It is also a joke for anyone to claim that they prefer the LG battery, so quality of components is USA only.

So Tesla is not a quality car then? I’m not talking about Chinese brand cars.

There’s many non-Chinese branded cars made in China that are sold in the US and especially Europe.

Seems a bit racist that you think nothing of quality can come from China.

Reactions: Dear_OP
For those that have the model 3 highland how is build quality ? Are there still rattles, squeaks and lose parts? I just got a model y 2 months ago and now I'm starting to have squeaks and rattles which I've read is common. Agree with everyone that the parts just don't seem tight and tidy. Just curious if the build quality improved with he highland...seeing what to potentially expect when the juniper comes out. Just hoping Tesla improves their build.

For squeaks and rattles can a mobile tech come out or do I have to go into a service center?

Thanks guys
I've not had a rattle and squeak in 2020 yet.

The mobile service should be able to take a look if its minor.

Giga Shanghai is known to be best built compared to which? Made in China cars has never been a thing in the USA. China has never had good quality cars. Things may be changing now. I am curious if the Teslas built in Germany are very different.
Just because it's made in china doesn't mean it's poor quality. It's all about quality control and if they want to do it. iPhones are all made in China, DJI drones made in china, etc. Quality control is all about the company. Most Chinese companies don't care about quality because they want to just make a cheap product, don't mean they CAN'T make good stuff.

Just because it's made in china doesn't mean it's poor quality. It's all about quality control and if they want to do it. iPhones are all made in China, DJI drones made in china, etc. Quality control is all about the company. Most Chinese companies don't care about quality because they want to just make a cheap product, don't mean they CAN'T make good stuff.
I didn't say the quality is low. I said China hasn't SHOWN that it can make high quality cars yet. Applying your logic about Apple is irrelevant because China has made high quality telecom for YEARS. This topic is about fit and finish on Tesla cars, which Tesla DICTATES. This debate isn't about the quality of raw materials sourced in the 2 regions; it is about things like QC, which AGAIN, is TESLA's process. this isn't outsourced. Rumors can have life but there needs to be data. The data we have is that the Panasonic batteries outperform the LG ones. That's the ONLY difference we know about

My highland is brand new, only 143 miles so far, just picked it up yesterday :) I know it takes time, abuse, potholes, temperature fluctuations, etc. for the creaks and rattles to really set in, so all I can give you is an initial impression.

No squeaks or rattles to speak of so far. Ride quality is very good. Road noise is greatly reduced from the older model 3 and even quieter than the 2020 Model S I traded in.

My 2019 Model 3 rattled like the dickens by the time I sold it at 100k miles. Thing sounded worse than a 40 year old domestic economy car. That's the main reason I parted with it. Rode harsh enough that I changed the suspension out three times trying to get a better ride (and was never really satisfied). Loud ker-THUNK transmitted into the cabin with every pothole and pavement joint. Just embarrassing.

My 2024 feels like a completely different car. Even the way the doors open and close feels more solid. Everything about it feels better made, even if I don't love the interior styling. So yes, big difference in initial quality.

Reactions: Jangy and jgleigh
I test drove a new M3 Highland for an hour (twice) and looked it over thoroughly and didn’t see any issues. Living with my 2021 build for awhile now I knew what to look for. It’s really solid - at least the one I was able to look at. The bottom door latches are a real nice touch and it has a nice thunk when closing the doors. It’s really fun to compare them and see the iterative changes. The door seals are a better design, something I randomly noticed as well. April 2024 build date, RWD model.

Reactions: mrplt