Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland live now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but go easy, I’m new here and this is my first Tesla!
In general. Australian cars seem to be manufactured early each quarter (so Oct/Nov) and then shipped and delivered before the end of the quarter.

However Australian ports have been a mess recently and the shipping timelines have blown out, so I suspect Tesla has built some margin in the current Jan-Mar 2024 dates.
It wouldn't surprise me if some people get Highland cars in 2023.

Reactions: dronus
No indicator stalk is a ridiculous idea/thought. Just ridiculous. People can try to “justify it” by saying “ah people take use their indicators on roundabouts anyway”, which is just a silly comment. Most do, SOME don’t.

2 trunk motors? No FRUNK MOTOR, so still manual release? That’s a strange move too.

Materials inside might be “more premium” but the door panels inside LOOK bloody plain.

Apparently where once was wood is going to be “personalised” to a degree by customers. We can choose to pay more for a trim, if we don’t like the (now) plain looking fabric there now? Strange.

Rear screen is nice, but low. In the damage zone?

Rear of the car looks nice, a little Polestar-ish perhaps. Front though, looks a bit generic. Assist from the lamps/headlights. They look the bees knees.

Will I upgrade? Not at an 8% premium.

Reactions: positiv
Interesting insight from LinkedIn that's been going round on X/FB.

20230904_205032.jpg

View attachment 970404
The rear looking side camera shown here looks like the same HW4 camera as is going into most(all?) US built Model Ys currently. So assume you get the HW4 computer and cameras.
It's not clear.

The Demo models shown in Europe had no front bumper camera.
And in the CarWow video where they seemingly read off a list of talking points they mentioned cameras and processor unchanged.

Maybe Shanghai has lots of stock of the old cameras and HW3, so an upgrade will come later?

1693830287895.png

Screenshot_20230904-222852.png

The second photo here is on the Model3 Highland on the Australian website zoomed in. It appears that this camera is of the 'HW4' variant over the old cameras. I think that there are no new known camera locations but that the existing camera locations have been updated to the newer variety which would also imply newer HW4 computer.

Reactions: dronus
As I'm getting a MY I'm ina different camp, but I suspect Juniper will get the same treatment. I feel like the m3 was well over due for a whole bunch of upgrades. I feel like alot of thr Y issues got sorted from all they learnt about the 3 and now it's time to bring the 3 up another level.

I feel like getting an end of life model vs the redesign means alot of the kinks have been ironed out, plus the 2023 models at this point have had so many drastic updates.

Given the core parts such as battery and motor are the same I don't think these changes would warrant anyone to upgrade. Like going from iPhone 13 to a 14. Looks a bit different, feels a bit different but fundamentally not THAT much different.

If highland was, new motor, battery, new alot more rather than a refresh be a different story.
The original model 3 imo looks better. Highland looks sleek, but to me looks like it's lost its tesla look and more like a Chinese EV or a mid 2010's Kia. That's why I got no problem.getting current model Y as I suspect juniper will do something like highland.
Regardless still neat to see progress and bring on the fabled model 2

No indicator stalk is a ridiculous idea/thought. Just ridiculous. People can try to “justify it” by saying “ah people take use their indicators on roundabouts anyway”, which is just a silly comment. Most do, SOME don’t.

Materials inside might be “more premium” but the door panels inside LOOK bloody plain.

Total agree in the stalks, its going to be reversed sooner or later.

I agree with the door cards, they just look boring, much prefer the current ones. As I have pointed out, they also are covered in cloth in the black SR models, and now you only get Alcantara on the LR! I like Alcantara, but how much is too much? Why still no black headliner.

Rear screen seems silly, but at least you can now finally control the seat heaters from the rear, I doubt the video will get much use, but lets be honest, screen these days are so cheap.

Total agree in the stalks, its going to be reversed sooner or later.

I agree with the door cards, they just look boring, much prefer the current ones. As I have pointed out, they also are covered in cloth in the black SR models, and now you only get Alcantara on the LR! I like Alcantara, but how much is too much? Why still no black headliner.

Rear screen seems silly, but at least you can now finally control the seat heaters from the rear, I doubt the video will get much use, but lets be honest, screen these days are so cheap.
I would swap the rear screen for return of the stalks in a New York Minute! Maybe it will be an option. At this point for S/X YOKE is no longer the default, and full WHEEL is. So, we’re seen this customer demand based reversal already once or twice before.

2 trunk motors? No FRUNK MOTOR, so still manual release? That’s a strange move too.

Apparently where once was wood is going to be “personalised” to a degree by customers. We can choose to pay more for a trim, if we don’t like the (now) plain looking fabric there now? Strange.

Rear of the car looks nice, a little Polestar-ish perhaps. Front though, looks a bit generic. Assist from the lamps/headlights. They look the bees knees.

Will I upgrade? Not at an 8% premium.
Glad manufacturers are finally getting rid of column stalks; first few cars I had didn't have them (too confusing).
Drove a Plaid from LA to Austin - appreciated the lack of stalks.

Reactions: adee
Does anyone know what the range difference would be between the new 18” wheels and the new 19” wheels?

Can only assume the 18” would be more efficient.
That is right I think. Looking around ‘tho the 18” wheels get further than the posted WLTP range rather than the 19” wheels coming in less.

In either case, I’m running an M3P which gets 420km with me driving it and that has never been a problem (up and down to QLD and out to central NSW).

The Highlands will easily outstrip my car for range.

Does anyone know what the range difference would be between the new 18” wheels and the new 19” wheels?

Can only assume the 18” would be more efficient.
I would assume also the smaller diameter wheels would take less torque to turn so less energy so better range?

I remember considering the same thing when I bought my Calais and had deduced that the bigger wheels might improve acceleration but negatively affect fuel economy. Also had to take into account the tyres they put on the rims to determine the overall diameter. I’d take range over 0-100 as that is more important to me (so is my license haha!)

The 19s and 18s have the same rolling diameter on the Teslas anyway, they just have tires with a higher sidewall profile on the 18s. Whatever range difference it makes would be in the noise.

The 18s are apparently a bit sturdier when it comes to hitting large potholes at speed, though.

The 19s and 18s have the same rolling diameter on the Teslas anyway, they just have tires with a higher sidewall profile on the 18s. Whatever range difference it makes would be in the noise.

The 18s are apparently a bit sturdier when it comes to hitting large potholes at speed, though.

Range difference comes from the 18" wheel and tyre combo being lighter than the 19" combo.
It requires less energy to spin them up...