Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland live now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should have blacked the tyres… lol.

Also on the rear screen, the car diagram for the seat heaters should be oriented the way the passenger is facing, not have it rotated 90° which is just weird.

I reckon I could get used to the stalkless indicators without too much trouble.
I’m contemplating upgrading from a 4-year M3LR coming out of lease, I don’t really mind the stalkless indicators, but scratching my chin at trying to do a 3-point turn with a screen change of gears….

I’m contemplating upgrading from a 4-year M3LR coming out of lease, I don’t really mind the stalkless indicators, but scratching my chin at trying to do a 3-point turn with a screen change of gears….
I have cars at work with stalks and that is confusing compared to the normal tbar thing, one car has a dial which is also confusing haha
From what im reading the m3 can detect whether you are expecting to drive forwards or backwards and it selects that gear. I wonder if this would help in 3 point turns?

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 11.24.44.png

I have cars at work with stalks and that is confusing compared to the normal tbar thing, one car has a dial which is also confusing haha
From what im reading the m3 can detect whether you are expecting to drive forwards or backwards and it selects that gear. I wonder if this would help in 3 point turns?

Still chin scratching. Maybe it is a bad habit, but when doing a three point turn, I generally have my hands on the steering wheel at all times.

Reactions: dronus
Still chin scratching. Maybe it is a bad habit, but when doing a three point turn, I generally have my hands on the steering wheel at all times.
Yeah come to think of it, i look, stop, select gear, look, reverse, stop, select gear, look, go so when moving, my hands are on the wheel too!

So with a little bit of a change where my hand goes to change gear (swipe and look at screen to see the camera instead of t-bar) there isnt really that much different. Its just different, but im open to change and im sure the muscle memory would adapt :)

I am glad to see those in Australia read the manual, even if its on TMC. Most of us in the USA do not read the manual at all. Its really rediculous!
I'm using the waiting time to learn about this new car from both the manual and you guys that already drive them :) Such good resources, and when the car gets here it ill be able to enjoy it so much more :)

Reactions: zoomer0056
AND eyes on the road.
This screen based mechanism is not useful, or safe, for quick changes in direction!
I have occasionally done a 3 point turn on a 2 lane road, when I had little choice, and I hated being sideways for longer than a second or 2.

This screen based mechanism is not useful, or safe, for quick changes in direction!
My understanding is multi-point turns, or carparking the car effectively detects based on wheel turn that you are trying to park/turn and will automatically switch the direction every time you come to a halt.

Presumably some smarts so it won't do this at a stop sign or traffic light after a turn.

But otherwise manually shifting on the screen or pressing a button on the headliner can't be any more difficult than a central gear stick as in most cars.

My understanding is multi-point turns, or carparking the car effectively detects based on wheel turn that you are trying to park/turn and will automatically switch the direction every time you come to a halt.

Presumably some smarts so it won't do this at a stop sign or traffic light after a turn.

But otherwise manually shifting on the screen or pressing a button on the headliner can't be any more difficult than a central gear stick as in most cars.
I agree, everyone can just chill out haha. As soon as my m3 turns up, ill do some experiments in the name of science :)

Everything is a bit slower here in Adelaide so if someone gets upset that im taking an extra second to turn around (or not indicate out of a roundabout LOL) they can EAD hahaha. If a second matters, i probably shouldn't have done the turn in the first place hahaha. but im sure with a little practice it will be hardly noticeable. Might be different in the bigger cities?

Any time that you can shift by “feel“ will be faster and safer than having to take your eyes of your surroundings to look for a button on the screen (or overhead console).