Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland live now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The no stalks thing is just a firm no from me, I was hoping they would come to their senses. With the opening up of the charge network further, I will consider another brand going forward. Obviously it will require another vehicle that meets my needs, but this is super disappointing. I am guessing the "buttons" are capacitive touch too, VW has said they are going back to tactile because of the back lash on their current products.

I know I am going to read about saving production costs, but if that were the case, you could save money by not installing useless crap like ambient lighting. Why cannot Tesla just listen to what people want, they are just so pig headed.
Years ago they used to listen, but like every other large company they forget how they got here

Years ago they used to listen, but like every other large company they forget how they got here

Through sheer customer pressure and negative feedback, Tesla eventually relented on the Joke Yoke in the “refreshed” Model S and X.

Tesla was effectively telling its customers “you are wrong, you don’t want a steering wheel, you want the Yoke, even if you think you don’t, because we think it looks cool and futuristic. And you will get used to it, even if you think you won’t, because We Know Better”.

In the end, Tesla buckled. It probably took a dozen meetings with Elon showing him the uncensored customer feedback comments before he relented. The steering wheel on S/X is now Standard and the Joke Yoke is a $1000 option.

Same thing might happen with the stalks, although it might take a sales collapse on Model 3 and a mountain of negative feedback and complaints before Tesla will bring them back.

Everyone I have spoken to says that they would not consider purchasing a Tesla due to the removal of the stalks.

Which is a shame, as Tesla do have other good features, e.g. reliable charging network. Last I heard that is still mostly Tesla only in Australia.
Each to their own but i feel that having an open mindset makes innovation and change easier.
Some people can handle change and find it exciting, others find it threatening and feel that they need to avoid it.
Thats ok, we are all different, that makes the planet a better place ;)

If something unfamilar and different isnt for everyone, there is always a BYD seal haha.

Have another look at how many Tesla superchargers are open to other brands, quite a few now. I dont see any other car brand being part of the solution and building anything better.
I copped some flack over xmas about my m3 order, the usual “stalkless, blah” stuff. I asked if they have driven one, nope. Would they like me to book a test drive and we can go check it out? Nope. I guess they were more attached to the feeling they get from having a vice about it than doing something about it haha.

Last edited:
Maybe as more people start getting stalk-less cars, they can start addressing these fears with their own experiences. Which may or may not address the issues.

I know that indicators not on stalks receives a lot of discussion. But what happens when you are driving at night, and the car is on high beam and you are blinding another driver? Or is the auto dip function better in the newer cars? I have a 2016 car which has problems is various circumstances and needs to dipped manually (e.g approaching intersection with crossing traffic). I wouldn't want to risk an accident because I couldn't find the appropriate button in time...

Maybe as more people start getting stalk-less cars, they can start addressing these fears with their own experiences. Which may or may not address the issues.

I know that indicators not on stalks receives a lot of discussion. But what happens when you are driving at night, and the car is on high beam and you are blinding another driver? Or is the auto dip function better in the newer cars? I have a 2016 car which has problems is various circumstances and needs to dipped manually (e.g approaching intersection with crossing traffic). I wouldn't want to risk an accident because I couldn't find the appropriate button in time...
I have auto high beam set in my model Y. When there is light detected in front of the car it'll drop to low beam no issues.

Reactions: Jules22
Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
"Tesla is banned from driving schools because of new turn signals"
I wonder how they adapted from manual gear boxes to auto haha

So when the person gets their license and then drives their parents car which doesnt have stalks, how does that make the roads safer?

Cancel culture doing its thing :)

I believe tesla's can't be used in driving tests in some states because there is no manual handbrake.
As in a rip up the handle type handbrake?
Ive seen driving instructors in teslas here in adelaide.. and ZB holdens which have an electronic handbrake

Heres one in Brisbane that only has Teslas

Yeah here in ACT they'll let you do lessons in a new car but won't take you for the test in one...

At least the instructor my son went through, I'm sure many instructors will insist on a manual handbrake

Kinda silly and no point learning in a car you can't test in.
Bit weird really. I mean its a handbrake which ever way you apply it, maybe some OCD issues over ruling technical issues there.
"is the handbrake on" yes... tick..
Teaches learner drivers to be adaptive, and id have more confidence in an electronic handbrake anyday!

Just looking at driving tests for my lad and the cars the people use seem to be newer models which have electronic handbrakes so dunno if thats a thing here? Ill get him to ask.. Probably doesnt really matter in the end :)

Each to their own but i feel that having an open mindset makes innovation and change easier.
Some people can handle change and find it exciting, others find it threatening and feel that they need to avoid it.
Thats ok, we are all different, that makes the planet a better place ;)

If something unfamilar and different isnt for everyone, there is always a BYD seal haha.

Have another look at how many Tesla superchargers are open to other brands, quite a few now. I dont see any other car brand being part of the solution and building anything better.
I copped some flack over xmas about my m3 order, the usual “stalkless, blah” stuff. I asked if they have driven one, nope. Would they like me to book a test drive and we can go check it out? Nope. I guess they were more attached to the feeling they get from having a vice about it than doing something about it haha.
It seems to me that the motoring organisations are gearing themselves up as the refuel stations of the future. There is no reason why it has to be a car brand doing so, but tesla had to do so as the initiator of the ev change

Reactions: zoomer0056
It seems to me that the motoring organisations are gearing themselves up as the refuel stations of the future. There is no reason why it has to be a car brand doing so, but tesla had to do so as the initiator of the ev change
I agree, and here in SA the RAA rollout is saving our butts.
The council that i live in are taking it one step further backwards saying that Petrol stations are the places that they think all cars should refuel, even if they dont have anything in their building approvals to include EV charging. Conversation for a different thread hahaha