Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland live now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone I have spoken to says that they would not consider purchasing a Tesla due to the removal of the stalks.

Which is a shame, as Tesla do have other good features, e.g. reliable charging network. Last I heard that is still mostly Tesla only in Australia.
To be completely fair, the tesla network in parts of Australia is thin eg inner regional SA. Hence a reliable network has to be there in the first place. But it is meaningless to me and loads of other city buyers who charge at home and never use public charging. Everyone is different and key buying features for one person mean nothing to another.

Reactions: dronus
As in a rip up the handle type handbrake?
Ive seen driving instructors in teslas here in adelaide.. and ZB holdens which have an electronic handbrake

Heres one in Brisbane that only has Teslas

As a driver who learned on dirt roads a very long time ago…I miss the rip it up handbrake turns

Maybe a stupid question and I’m neither here nor their on stalks/buttons practicalities until I try buttons, but what is the gain in changing? I could see the gain in going from manual to automatic, but this change seems to me to be a change for the sake of change, not a gain?

As a driver who learned on dirt roads a very long time ago…I miss the rip it up handbrake turns
Yeah i could drive army cars/trucks/tanks before i could drive my first car (Datsun 180b station wagon).
Back then you had to be 18, Have your L's (paper based exam on road rules), have 2 driving lessons and then the local Police Officer would come pick you up and go for a drive. I took him to the Deli to pick up the lunches for everyone else at the station. As long as you got back without spilling everything and the pies were still hot, you were mostly good :) Down to VicRoads and drop some cash for your P's. My drivers license still expires every 10 years 2 weeks after my birthday hahaha.
Has been interesting signing off my lads Log book, 75 hours or something. My car doesnt have a mechanical handbrake so hes going to have to work that out with the driving instructor haha.

Reactions: paulp
Maybe a stupid question and I’m neither here nor their on stalks/buttons practicalities until I try buttons, but what is the gain in changing? I could see the gain in going from manual to automatic, but this change seems to me to be a change for the sake of change, not a gain?
I think its just tesla being tesla?
The extra work integrating the drive selection into the software, and the overhead manual override might not be any cheaper than leaving everything as it was with stalks (which i wouldnt think would cost much?)

Bit weird really. I mean its a handbrake which ever way you apply it, maybe some OCD issues over ruling technical issues there.
"is the handbrake on" yes... tick..
Teaches learner drivers to be adaptive, and id have more confidence in an electronic handbrake anyday!

Just looking at driving tests for my lad and the cars the people use seem to be newer models which have electronic handbrakes so dunno if thats a thing here? Ill get him to ask.. Probably doesnt really matter in the end :)
I think the reason is that they can pull the handbrake up if they need to in an emergency

Reactions: positiv and cafz
Each to their own but i feel that having an open mindset makes innovation and change easier.

But “innovation“ needs to have a point. And I would argue removing the stalks is not “innovation” at all, it merely changes the operating method of the same functions that existed previously.

So what is the point of removing the stalks? Is it a customer-focussed change? Does it make the vehicle easier to drive or safer to drive? Does it add capability that was not possible using the previous solution? What is the upside for the customer?

Reactions: paulp
But “innovation“ needs to have a point. And I would argue removing the stalks is not “innovation” at all, it merely changes the operating method of the same functions that existed previously.

So what is the point of removing the stalks? Is it a customer-focussed change? Does it make the vehicle easier to drive or safer to drive? Does it add capability that was not possible using the previous solution? What is the upside for the customer?
Yeah i dunno either 🤷‍♂️ From what im hearing other cars are stalkless too so its not like this is a first time innovation?

I think it's simply a cost saving, the cost of stalks are likely to be signifcantly higher than some basic buttons to replicate the drive selector.

I know there are a couple of reports of people accidentally selecting Reverse by being used to indicating on the right stalk (I did it once when I was getting used to the car and indicated late, saw what I did straight away though, so was able to correct), don't know if that played any part at all. Also saw a post recently, not sure if it was here, of someone accidentally engaging TACC unexpectedly.

I still think the main reason is simplicity and cost savings though.

Reactions: FastEddieB
I think it's simply a cost saving

What would the stalks cost? $100? $200? On a $75k+ car? Why bother if that’s the reason? It would also demonstrate that the change was a Tesla-driven reason not a customer-driven reason. That’s a bad sign if so.

Don’t forget Model S originally did not have door bins because it mortally offended Elon’s minimalism aesthetic. Stuff practicality and what people wanted or what were used to, the aesthetics were more important 🙄.

Like the yoke, Tesla eventually buckled to reason and customer preference. I reckon the same will happen here. But it will take time.

Reactions: positiv and dronus
What would the stalks cost? $100? $200? On a $75k+ car? Why bother if that’s the reason? It would also demonstrate that the change was a Tesla-driven reason not a customer-driven reason. That’s a bad sign if so.

Don’t forget Model S originally did not have door bins because it mortally offended Elon’s minimalism aesthetic. Stuff practicality and what people wanted or what were used to, the aesthetics were more important 🙄.

Like the yoke, Tesla eventually buckled to reason and customer preference. I reckon the same will happen here. But it will take time.
Model S not only had no door bins, it had no centre console. Tesla relented and made it available by retrofit

Reactions: Vostok and dronus
I suspect that the buttons may allow a greater degree of software programability for future refinements than mechanical stalks?

Just a point of clarity - unlike many legacy cars, the stalks in previous Model 3's weren't "mechanical" in the same way as an ICE.

They are just a long rod for actuating a microswitch. Even the gear selector is just a microswitch.

I got used to the yoke on a loaner Model X after a few days; it was fine, really. I think I still prefer the wheel, as I enjoy coming out of a turn and letting the wheel slip through my fingers. However, I'm glad that the wheel is the standard again

So, the idea of not having the stalk levers doesn't bother me much; as a matter of fact, it sounds pretty cool to me. I'm used to stalks, but I'm sure I could learn to enjoy a Tesla with fewer buttons and levers

PS - one time in a 90s Volvo I put on the signal, and the stalk snapped right off! That was unusual..

Reactions: Jules22