Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 home chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my 1st ever ev tesla model 3 long range. Need help to decide which home charger should I get installed. The question is whether I can get a fast charger installed like a 22kw charger Andersen 2 rather 7kw?
Not unless you have a 3 phase supply you can’t.
Typically the biggest charger fitted at home would be a 7kw (230v x 32A)
A 22kw charger is 32amps at 415v

Also hoping to take delivery of my first Tesla/EV in the next few months. I’m torn between a 7kWh Podpoint and the Tesla Charger. Tesla more convenient but higher cost and still not decided. Need to have a chat with my sparky mate see if he could fit the Tesla one.

I'm planning on just getting the QUBEV because I can't get the OLEV grant. For £299 I haven't found anything else with the extra; I think the EO Mini looks neater but it's certainly not worth £120 more.

They all deliver the same 32amps of juice! (well strictly speaking some are slightly de-rated) Reasonable choice if you aren't getting the grant. I'm sure the average costs of basic charge points have got to come down. You can help that process by going for the good value option.

Also hoping to take delivery of my first Tesla/EV in the next few months. I’m torn between a 7kWh Podpoint and the Tesla Charger. Tesla more convenient but higher cost and still not decided. Need to have a chat with my sparky mate see if he could fit the Tesla one.

If he can wire a plug then he can install any charge point! (I mean the attaching of the actual unit.) His skill, knowledge, and qualification is required for fitting of the correct cabling and support hardware (RCBO, earthing etc) and that will be similar for any charge point.

I ended up going for an EO Mini Pro with a local(ish) dedicated EV charge installer Jorro as the local approved sparkies were extracting the urine on their labour and parts pricing.

... I have to say Jorro are fully capable of extracting the urine too (I know this because they left me with a completely empty bladder for what I only now realise was probably the simplest install they ever had to do). I hope you got a reasonable quote!

Yeah, cheaper than all the locals and I've drilled through from the house consumer unit to the garage so something knocked off for that too.
I'd probably preferred to have just installed myself but then not qualified for all the grants.

I'd probably preferred to have just installed myself but then not qualified for all the grants.
I was in the same position where I could have easily done it myself and got somebody I know to certify it but getting somebody to do it who could claim the grant made it cheaper than just buying the unit. Had a warranty issue and they sent me a replacement unit so I just changed it over myself rather than wasting somebody else’s time and fuel

Reactions: DaddyCool
The question is whether I can get a fast charger installed like a 22kw charger Andersen 2 rather 7kw?

Apart from needing 3-Phase for 22kw charger, do you actually need the faster rate of charging?

7kw is 30-ish MPH, so 200 miles in 10 hours - i.e. easily done overnight.

Of course there are people who do 200 miles daily, or have a frequent need to go-back-out, but for most folk 7kW is sufficient - albeit with a change of thinking to consider how often it would be a problem, and how to solve that. I do 30K miles a year, have had Teslas for nearly 4 years, and have never had a problem because of overnight charging

Being a Scrooge I only charge overnight on cheap rate, so if I go a long way today I may not recoup all of it on cheap rate tonight ... but the car will catch up tomorrow night. Of course if I actually have a long journey back-to-back on 2 days I can override my Scrooge setting!

Reactions: Adopado
I’m torn between a 7kWh Podpoint and the Tesla Charger

Tesla Charger has a Button to open the flap. Not a problem for starting charge, but Stopping charge is slightly more hassle (without the button)

Tesla Charger is 3-phase capable and, compared to others that I have used, has a hefty cable. Definitely more snake-charming required than other chargers I use.