Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Homelink not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I picked up my Model 3 last weekend and have been trying to setup Homelink for both my garage (Liftmaster built in 2010) and a front gate to the complex I've lived in. I've tried about 20 times to get the Homelink to identify either my front gate or garage and never has worked. Please note that the remote I have includes two buttons, one for the garage and one for the complex gate.

So far I have tried the following:

1. Created a profile and started the process on the Model 3 touch screen to the point that it asks me to stand in the front of the front bumber.
2. Once standing in front of the bumber, I've tried both holding the remote button down for 30 seconds as well as holding the button for 2 seconds, releasing, and pressing again for 2 seconds multiple times in a row. I tried this pressing both the garage door button and the front gate button.
3. I read on a forum to try and open the frunk and have attempted this as well without any luck.

On the back of my garage door machine, it lists the part # as 41As050R1M with a date of 06/10. It it as Chamberlain LifeMaster.

Before reaching out to Tesla I wanted to check with you all and see if anyone else has any suggestions/tips. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, I picked up my Model 3 last weekend and have been trying to setup Homelink for both my garage (Liftmaster built in 2010) and a front gate to the complex I've lived in. I've tried about 20 times to get the Homelink to identify either my front gate or garage and never has worked. Please note that the remote I have includes two buttons, one for the garage and one for the complex gate.

1. Created a profile and started the process on the Model 3 touch screen to the point that it asks me to stand in the front of the front bumber.
2. Once standing in front of the bumber, I've tried both holding the remote button down for 30 seconds as well as holding the button for 2 seconds, releasing, and pressing again for 2 seconds multiple times in a row. I tried this pressing both the garage door button and the front gate button.
3. I read on a forum to try and open the frunk and have attempted this as well without any luck.

On the back of my garage door machine, it lists the part # as 41As050R1M with a date of 06/10. It it as Chamberlain LifeMaster.

Before reaching out to Tesla I wanted to check with you all and see if anyone else has any suggestions/tips. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you need to program your garage door opener to add an additional remote and not try cloning your existing remote.

See the attached manual's page 32.

Irwin

Attachments

• liftmaster-3240-manual.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 862
On some garage openers there is a limit to the number of remotes that can be paired to it. If you are not the first owner of your house then you might want to do a full erase and reprogram. You never know how many extra remotes there are floating around and not in use. Plus from a security standpoint it’s a good idea to do anyways.

My homelink will program to the garage door but not to the gate. My Honda home link will do both. Homelink says both Honda and tesla use the same homelink receiver. The Tesla mobile service is ordering a new receiver, thinks that may be the problem.

Hey All,

What i don't understand is when I push on the homelink and select my pre-program garage door you can see it's transponding the signal to my garage door to open or close. This worked great for a brief time. Now if I push on my pre-program garage door, I no longer see the transponder signal radio wave like icon suggesting a signal is set. I did a reboot on the car. While this fixed the issue, but today the same problem came back.

I am using a belt drive craftsman garage door opener. Fairly new. ~ 2 or 3 yr old. I don't think it's my unit. Any recommendation?
Should my car be line up in front of my garage door opener? I normally pull up on the side.

Homelink is location based it will transmit regardless of position ...are you saying you are not seeing the signal icons ? ...if that is case u may need to delete and setup again ...

I plug it in last night to charge. Decide to push on the Homelink Icon. Under the Homelink icon, I can see my pre-program name for my garage door. I push on the pre-program name and my garage door open. If you manually push on the pre-program name you will see the icon sending out signal wave. This tells me it's attempting to communicate with my garage door to open or close.

When it fail to work, you don't see the radio signal wave on the Icon. it's a hit and miss. I have reprogram it twice now. I am just going to keep my remote clicker as a backup.

Hmmm ...what kind of opener do you have ? Homelink In general is kinda flaky I have had in Lexus , bmw , merc ..working with various success ..on the former cars issue was the hardware had a certain firmware that over time didn’t become compatible with newer openers and required an intermiediary device ( homelink actually sells one as does chamberlain ) the good thing about the Tesla is the firmware does update ..

Hmmm ...what kind of opener do you have ? Homelink In general is kinda flaky I have had in Lexus , bmw , merc ..working with various success ..on the former cars issue was the hardware had a certain firmware that over time didn’t become compatible with newer openers and required an intermiediary device ( homelink actually sells one as does chamberlain ) the good thing about the Tesla is the firmware does update ..

craftsman 139.53918d
CRAFTSMAN 139.53918D OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

When it's working you see the signal meter transponding. When it does not, you can tap on your garage door all you want and you don't see the signal bar tranponding.

upload_2018-7-12_10-32-43.png

It's working now as I've just tested it.

I plug it in last night to charge. Decide to push on the Homelink Icon. Under the Homelink icon, I can see my pre-program name for my garage door. I push on the pre-program name and my garage door open. If you manually push on the pre-program name you will see the icon sending out signal wave. This tells me it's attempting to communicate with my garage door to open or close.

When it fail to work, you don't see the radio signal wave on the Icon. it's a hit and miss. I have reprogram it twice now. I am just going to keep my remote clicker as a backup.
I am having the same issue. It’s at the SC right now getting other issues fixed. I mentioned it to my tech and he said hopefully the firmware upgrade fixes it but if not they will have a mobile service team come out and program it.

Though my issue isn’t with programming it, it’s like yours where it doesn’t send a signal to the garage even though I am hitting the button.

Hello TBax,

I do not have my model 3 yet, but I did recently have trouble with the homelink in my car and after much swearing and pulling of the hair discovered that it was due to the led lights I had installed in the garage.... just a thought.

How LED Lights Can Cause Problems With Your Garage Door Opener

• Helpful
Reactions: streetskooler
I am having the same issue. It’s at the SC right now getting other issues fixed. I mentioned it to my tech and he said hopefully the firmware upgrade fixes it but if not they will have a mobile service team come out and program it.

Though my issue isn’t with programming it, it’s like yours where it doesn’t send a signal to the garage even though I am hitting the button.

I bet if you reboot it will work again or if you charge your car, it will work again. I think it's a firmware update needed. Perhaps some event triggering needed. Minor issues no biggie. I have my backup remote control for my opener. I am sure they'll bundled some update in firmware for the fixes. Keep us posted.

I bet if you reboot it will work again or if you charge your car, it will work again. I think it's a firmware update needed. Perhaps some event triggering needed. Minor issues no biggie. I have my backup remote control for my opener. I am sure they'll bundled some update in firmware for the fixes. Keep us posted.

I got my car back from the SC and it was working. But pulled out of the garage today and the homelink wasn’t sending out the signal. I hit the button and nothing happens...no signal is sent. I am on firmware 24.7 now.

Any other suggestions?

Just put a back up remote control in your car. I works most time for me. Just once in a while. It's a pain. No choice.
If you do this make sure your remote is not visible from outside the car. Otherwise if you forget and park outside someone might smash a window to get into your garage. Also, it is a good idea to not keep anything with your home address on it in the car (black out your registration address) in case your car gets burglarized while you are out and someone takes the remote to your house to get into your garage knowing you are not home. Hopefully the alarm would deter having your glove box pried open.