Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here to give a shout out to the Council Bluffs service team. Their remote guys are great.
Opened an appointment in the app last week just out of curiosity to see if I was yet eligible. They responded with an appt for today, Monday, at 8am.
Got on-site, they had me text them my drivers license # and name of insurance, a guy gave me a fob to a loaner sanitized Model S, and texted me at 10:45 saying it was complete. Haven’t had a chance to check out anything yet. My screen did black out for about 3 minutes after I started the car, but smooth sailing afterwards. Very pleased, had not yet been to the new CB repair shop.

Experience was great the driving visualizations are nicer for sure. The problems though...

Biggest issue is that wifi is totally down and will not see any networks. Rebooted several times, anyone have anything else to try to get wifi back?

My 2 front USB ports are flaky now too. Sometimes they charge phones, sometimes not. USB music will drop out several times an hour, very annoying.

Experience was great the driving visualizations are nicer for sure. The problems though...

Biggest issue is that wifi is totally down and will not see any networks. Rebooted several times, anyone have anything else to try to get wifi back?

My 2 front USB ports are flaky now too. Sometimes they charge phones, sometimes not. USB music will drop out several times an hour, very annoying.

Thats crappy what version is it on? Mine came back with 2020.12.11.1. I lost 0 things that I can tell. Garage door, Spotify, phone pairing, presets, seat preference, map history. I haven’t found anything reset which seems either really cool or odd, or both.

Here to give a shout out to the Council Bluffs service team. Their remote guys are great.
Opened an appointment in the app last week just out of curiosity to see if I was yet eligible. They responded with an appt for today, Monday, at 8am.
Got on-site, they had me text them my drivers license # and name of insurance, a guy gave me a fob to a loaner sanitized Model S, and texted me at 10:45 saying it was complete. Haven’t had a chance to check out anything yet. My screen did black out for about 3 minutes after I started the car, but smooth sailing afterwards. Very pleased, had not yet been to the new CB repair shop.

I guess I cannot get lucky. I purchased FSD about a month ago (4/15). I have tried three times to schedule for the upgrade with no luck. First two times I only got text messages that they have none in stock at my SC (Princeton, NJ). Third time they actually called me to tell me they have none in stock and do not know when they will get any more as "they aren't being made right now" due to COVID-19.

I read too many people on here schedule with success. Not sure why my SC doesn't have any or cannot order any. Seems like they should be able to do that. Every other dealer just orders from their parts supplier/manufacturer. Why is it so difficult to get a HW3 upgrade in NJ?

Must be nice.

They (Raleigh) just cancelled on me for a third time a couple minutes ago, once again day before the actual appointment.

This time they claim they have now ordered one "specifically for my car" and they'd reach out when it arrived so no need to put in a new appointment.

Sure would've been nice if they'd done that the first 3 times I scheduled this service going back over 3 months now.

And I'm...let's say pretty dubious...that they're going to actually order one and reach out to me when it arrives either.

At least they offered to order it for you. Mine always get cancelled the next day after I make the appt. I asked the guy on the phone when we spoke (after cancelling me for third time) to order the part like any other dealership for every other car manufacturer in the world does and he said he was told there are none to order. So no warehouse for Tesla has any laying around? Come on, if they are starting back production in Fremont they have plenty of HW3 hardware.

I will probably try again the end of this week. Maybe if I bug them enough they will order it.

Let me know how it goes. If you do get a call I will use you or at least your SC as an example.

Had FSD Computer installed yesterday at Denver Evans Service Center. I requested it in the app along with a tire rotation and the replacement of chargeport deadfront pins. Dropped the car off at 8 AM via the touchless system and picked it back up around 1 PM.

It took about 15 miles driven for the cameras to calibrate enough to get visualizations and another 10 miles for Summon and NOA to come online. I parked the car in the garage and had to manually reconnect it to my home wifi, but no other settings or data was lost in the upgrade. It immediately started downloading the latest navigation maps to enable Stop Light and Traffic Control Beta.

I had an issue where it wouldn't let me enable Stop Light and Traffic Control Beta, so I googled and found a reddit post suggesting a power down/reboot of the car. Did that and the option became available.

A lot of driving around to random places last night to test :D

• Helpful
Reactions: Jimbydude
Ever since our HW3 upgrade I can barely hear any telephone audio over the car speakers coming through my iPhone. I can answer the call by touching the screen, the "Tesla Model 3" audio is selected on the phone, but there is just a very low garbled sound. I've deleted the phone and reconnected it several times. I've rebooted both the car and the phone. I've tried connecting both an iPhone X and an iPhone 11 Pro Max and both had the same issue.

I saw one note on the Tesla forum about someone with a similar problem. The fix was rebooting the 12V battery, which I haven't messed with yet.

Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
I guess I cannot get lucky. I purchased FSD about a month ago (4/15). I have tried three times to schedule for the upgrade with no luck. First two times I only got text messages that they have none in stock at my SC (Princeton, NJ). Third time they actually called me to tell me they have none in stock and do not know when they will get any more as "they aren't being made right now" due to COVID-19.

I read too many people on here schedule with success. Not sure why my SC doesn't have any or cannot order any. Seems like they should be able to do that. Every other dealer just orders from their parts supplier/manufacturer. Why is it so difficult to get a HW3 upgrade in NJ?
I picked up mine (with FSD) in Nov 2018 in Greater Boston area and have tried to schedule the hw3 upgrade few times now in last 6 months. They keep telling me that my car is on the list but they don't have kit (ran out in all of Northeast) and I should schedule for 2-4 weeks later. I have next appt scheduled for end of May. Will see if I get asked to reschedule again.

Anyone here have any feedback on Dedham vs Peabody vs Watertown service center? Should I try scheduling for any particular service cetner?

Must be nice.

They (Raleigh) just cancelled on me for a third time a couple minutes ago, once again day before the actual appointment.

This time they claim they have now ordered one "specifically for my car" and they'd reach out when it arrived so no need to put in a new appointment.

Sure would've been nice if they'd done that the first 3 times I scheduled this service going back over 3 months now.

And I'm...let's say pretty dubious...that they're going to actually order one and reach out to me when it arrives either.

When I took the car in for something else earlier in the year, I was told they had started installing HW3 and they would notify me when the hardware arrived. Was told the shipments are assigned to a VIN so I shouldn't schedule an appt. Not sure if that's really how it's working now bc after reading here that people were getting upgraded with appts, I made one which was pushed out due to COVID. The rest of the details I posted already.

I picked up mine (with FSD) in Nov 2018 in Greater Boston area and have tried to schedule the hw3 upgrade few times now in last 6 months. They keep telling me that my car is on the list but they don't have kit (ran out in all of Northeast) and I should schedule for 2-4 weeks later. I have next appt scheduled for end of May. Will see if I get asked to reschedule again.

Anyone here have any feedback on Dedham vs Peabody vs Watertown service center? Should I try scheduling for any particular service cetner?

Seems like the Northeast is getting the shaft as I read plenty of California people here getting the upgrade.

My wifi issues are fixed, service manager reached out to me based on my survey response. Great job Tesla Sunnyvale!

He setup an immediate walk-in appointment, gave me a Model X loaner for the day, and addressed the wifi issues for me.

I really love the new functionality and visualizations. The competence of the AP system seems better as well.

Overall I am happy after the hiccup with my wifi.

Mobile Service started doing the retrofit for the Dallas/Fort Worth area in the last month. Scheduling it took a week. They said the retrofit would take a few hours, but it took about an hour.

I guess this hasn't rolled out to Northeast or NJ yet. I tried to set up a mobile service call and was told it cannot be handled via mobile service and they transferred my request to my local SC.

I am waiting for them to cancel, unless by some chance they got HW3 hardware in stock since last week, I am waiting for this to be cancelled.

I guess this hasn't rolled out to Northeast or NJ yet. I tried to set up a mobile service call and was told it cannot be handled via mobile service and they transferred my request to my local SC.

I am waiting for them to cancel, unless by some chance they got HW3 hardware in stock since last week, I am waiting for this to be cancelled.

I have an appointment at Princeton on May 22. So far hasn't been canceled. Have you had luck getting loaners their? Previously I used the Springfield SC.