Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is on Display at Southlake Gallery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday night around dinner time there was really no line, but mostly a trickle of people coming through.

Impressions coming from a classic MS:

- I found the back seat quite roomy compared to my S. Lots of head room.
- Gone are the MS "points" poking into the door openings from the interior sculpture - the points that invariably get worn through over time on the front/back on S, particularly on the non-leather doors.
- The front is tighter than the S but the seat seems to travel back farther. On long trips with the classic S, I take advantage of the lack of a center console for repositioning, leg stretching, and general manspreading. Not possible on the 3 with a prominent center tunnel/console - your legs stay front and center. YMMV, but I would probably be uncomfortable after about an hour on a road trip in the 3 (just my personal issue).
- Not much of a frunk, but we all knew that.
- While I did not fiddle much with the display, I was told by the Tesla minder in the right seat that there was (currently) no browser. Goodbye Waze for Tesla. :( Maybe the Elon announcement pending puts Waze into the nav?
- My spouse considers the flip up door handles a disappointment - apparently she likes the self-presenting MS handles (news to me).
- The ventless vents controlled by UI seem to work pretty well.
- The ultra-spartan interior is going to be a controversial point for some I suspect (given the range of the price the 3 will span). But the same debate re Tesla interiors has been going since the MS shipped.
- I agree with the upthread comment, they will probably sell a lot of these with the base configurations. I'm guessing the upper end M3 buyers may just jump up to the MS. Purely a guess. The MS sitting next to the 3 was still the stunner in my opinion.

I'll still wait to configure until I can drive one. I wonder how long I'll have to wait to drive an optioned-up M3? I'd guess I might be able to order one before I can actually test drive one the way they're getting delivered to the rabid fan base. Even still, it's bizarre to see pictures of people queueing up to look at a car they can't test drive (or probably buy) for a long time unless they've had a reservation for a long time.

PS - they need a priority boarding line, like the air carriers, for existing Tesla customers and early reservation holders :) I'd happily take only 5 minutes instead of 10 for a look, and probably don't need the full sales pitch.

Last edited:
I also went to see it Sunday night. Agree with much of Redi's comments and will add my own:

- It's a Tesla. Not as good looking inside or out as either the Model S or X, but it still looks good.
- Driver's seat had a weird firmness in lower back area. I noticed it immediately and reached for the lumber deflator. Deflated it all the way, but it still felt firm. A seat adjustment might have helped, but didn't have time. Regardless...I noticed it.
- The central screen was a lot smaller in person than I really got from pictures. The Tesla rep went through the UI in two mins, and we looked for a few things. They really should have put more buttons on the steering wheel...just too much buried in the UI.
- The rear hatch wasn't too bad to close, but it didn't seem to have enough weight or "breakover" momentum to pull and shut exclusively from the inside handle (where you would pull in a quick motion and move your hand out of the way to shut it "one handed"). We only got to try it once though so would like another crack at it.
- Hood was flimsy. When I shut it, the sheet metal actually oil-canned in and out...I was a bit shocked and when I mentioned it to another rep when we were looking at the Model X he said "yeah, you noticed that, huh?". Frunk is so small though, I can't ever see using it. We only ever use our (giant) P85+ RWD frunk on long trips.
- I liked the doors and the door handles were fine/easy - no issues.
- Interior door panels were very nice (I hope they keep the alcantara there).
- Headliner was textile and OK (alcantara would have been nicer like on the doors of course). One headliner panel (right B pillar from the rear) was misaligned.
- Rear foot room was a little tight and you sit knees high. You sit knees high in the Model S too, but this was worse....and I'm only 5' 7".
- Rear seat itself was comfortable.
- Console is fine, but cheap feeling...not as cheap as the early model S console, but not as nice as the current Model S console.

When I got back in my Model S, I didn't feel "bad" that I didn't have a Model 3...and my "S" is 4 1/2 years old. It will, as always, really come down to a test drive for me (also got my invite, but I'm not buying anything w/o a test drive). The 3 is 800lbs+ lighter than my S and will likely drive / ride / handle very differently than my S (although I have come to really appreciate the P85+ suspension for it's ride and handling balance).

As with many others, a completely revamped Model S might convince me to get a new Model S (lower end) over a loaded 3, but of course when the fabled "Model S refresh" will show up is anybody's guess. We did spend a lot of time looking at the X while we were there, but sheesh, just too dang pricey and not different enough from our Model S to really be compelling. Dang you first world problems!

Agree with cab's comments too, particularly the cheap feeling console. But I have no console and never saw a Tesla console that looked fantastic either :)

The jury is really out for me on the 3 until a drive, and even then I'd be undoubtedly be comparing it to my old air-ride P85+ too, which I rather like. My eventual decision won't make or break the success of the 3 over the next years.

My spouse is in love with the stormtrooper white-on-white X in full falcon-wing bird-of-prey mode in the showroom. Me too if I'm honest. Too bad the price.

Reactions: cab and arcus
Interesting to hear different perspectives.

I thought the 3 was a beauty and everything felt very firm and high quality. The seats were more comfortable than my next gen seats in my S, the steering wheel was such a great size for a car that size and felt beefy, and the dash/console felt like I was in the future. The UI on the touchscreen was blazing fast and made my S feel like a Speak and Spell with how slow and laggy it is sometimes.

The backseat felt like a limo compared to my S. The ceiling being much higher and a lot more room for my legs (I am 6'3) and loved the center console back there. I didnt drive it of course but from what I am hearing in reviews of the sportiness and quicker feel off the line than an S, I am overly excited to get back into a vehicle like that. Sometimes in my S I feel like I am driving a Lincoln that my grandfather had as its massive, heavy boat. A beautiful boat, but a massive one :)

I never cared for the X. It looks like an egg with wheels and never considered it for purchase and felt Tesla took a major step back in design when the X came out besides the fancy doors.

I got back into an S and it felt...dated?

I am very much looking forward to an S refresh and especially interested to see if the interior is redesigned.

Just my thoughts.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
We had an overnight drive arranged with the Tesla Woodlands showroom and went to pick up a Model X Sunday afternoon. While we were there I mentioned that we had a Model 3 reservation and wanted to see one knowing that there was one in Southlake. They said that since they didn't know when they would get a 3 in Houston we could take the X to Southlake to see the 3 and bring it back on Tuesday so we took them up on the offer since we don't currently own a Tesla and wanted to experience taking one on the road. We got there about 2:30 Monday afternoon and there was just a few people waiting and no real line. It was a long drive for a 10 or less minute quick walk around and brief view of the interior, but it was a fun experience driving the Model X and checking out the supercharger in Corsicana and using Chargepoint at the Southlake mall. The drive did help us rule out owning a Model X as we have no need for a car that big and although it was fun to drive we prefer the ride and handling of a more sporty sedan.

The 3 will be replacing my wife's 2005 Cadillac STS that she absolutely loves and has driven for the past 12 years. It will be really hard for her to give it up for a Model 3 or even a Model S, but we have decided we will purchase a Tesla for her next car and she is fine with it. Immediately she made the comment that the Model 3 was much smaller than she expected and she really didn't like everything being moved over to the center display instead of having two displays like on the Model S. Her particular concern is using the touchscreen for almost every function while driving. So I guess we will just have to wait until she can drive a 3 before making a final decision. Just for fun I ran a comparison of the dimensions listed for the three cars.

Most of the interior numbers are surprisingly close except for passenger volume which shows that the STS has a more "open" interior which may be what she is sensing.

Front Headroom STS 38.7" 3 39.6" S 38.8"
Rear Headroom STS 37.9" 3 37.7" S 35.3"
Front Hiproom STS 54.6 3 53.4 S 55"
Rear Hiproom STS 55.6" 3 52.4" S 54.7"
Front Legroom STS 42.6" 3 42.7" S 42.7"
Rear Legroom STS 38.3" 3 35.2" S 35.4"
Front Shoulderoom STS 58.6" 3 56.3" S 57.7"
Rear Shoulderoom STS 57.4" 3 54" S 55"
Weight Lbs. STS 4026 3 3838 S 4941
Passenger Volume Cu. Ft. STS 116.7 3 97 S 94
Height STS 57.6" 3 56.8" S 56.5"
Length STS 196.3" 3 184.8" S 196
Width STS 72.6" 3 72.8" S 77.3"
Wheelbase STS 116.4" 3 113.2 S 116.5

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
Went this morning to see the 3. We got there about 8 minutes before the store opened and were third in line. We were in the 3 by 10:20. Aside from the fact the two dudes in front of us were blowhards with no respect for other people's time, it was a great experience.

In short, the 3 is awesome. Most of my impressions other people have observed and reported, so I'll keep it short.
  • The back seat does not feel much, if any, smaller than my S.
  • I can see what Elon said about driving a space ship. Front visibility is great due to the lack of IC.
  • Steering wheel is smaller than the S, and I like it better. It feels like it will be a responsive and fun car to drive, if that even makes sense just from the steering wheel size.
  • Seats were WAY better than my classic S, which, frankly has pretty sucky seats. Though I thought the Model S 100D they also had in the showroom had even better seats than the 3.
  • The GUI feels snappier and nicer than the S. It will be a learning curve, though.
Overall, I am quite excited about the 3. My wife and I both feel like we want it right away, but I think we're going to wait for small battery, AWD, and white seats, so long as we can get the tax credit.

We (my wife and I) went to the gallery in Southlake after a movie last Saturday. We got there around 8.30pm, and we're told the line was closed (there were 3 or 4 couples waiting. We looked suitable sad and mooched around the store until they felt sorry for us, and in the end we were in the car for quite a while after the store closed (they were there anyway, we checked a few times to make sure we weren't keeping them from anything, but they were very happy to chat). In theory, our 3 should be arriving within the next week, but given there's no VIN I doubt that.

The 3 will, technically, be my wife's car, but on the basis that it's replacing an SUV, I suspect it'll eventually be mine, and she will take the S. So before going in, my wife's main concerns/criticisms:
  • No power-lift trunk
  • No Sirius
  • Just one display
My concerns, mostly based on other reviews, FUD, etc:
  • Panel gaps
  • general fit & finish
  • feeling 'cheap'
With that in mind, we both came out feeling pretty good about the Model 3. We both look for different things, but general thoughts:
  • The display is very responsive. Having sat in the front seat for a while, my wife is less concerned about just having a single display
  • But, I hope they push more updates that allow the rear camera to be displayed all the time. During one of the demos the music panel seemed to have 2 or 3 positions based on the amount of content it was showing, so as long as the camera can run behind that, then all is good
  • The door handles...meh. Form over function. I know my kids will struggle with them (mostly out of sheer laziness, and probably holding a backpack in the same hand while trying to open the door). Thumbs are clearly a prerequisite though, so at least my dog can't open the door
  • The internal door release...the Tesla guys were very clear not to pull the release at the end of the window controls, unless it's actually an emergency, as it's a mechanical release that could 'damage the window' if used on a frequent basis. If this is true, it's a dumb design, no two ways about it.
  • Yay for storage in the doors, seat-back pockets, hooks, rear cupholder, rear USB ports!
  • The interior seemed well screwed together. The headliner was out of alignment at the back at the top of the C pillar, but otherwise the fit and finish (in a non-moving, controlled environment) seemed better than our S
  • There's still concerns over the trunk. First world problems, for sure, but it's not super easy to close, and having to push it down from the top of the trunk is a bit lame.
  • The rear windows only lower to just below half way. Seems odd.
  • The center console is fingerprint heaven with the piano black finish. Not a practical finish for a family car, but fixable with a film (as is the wood trim).
  • Panel gaps weren't bad. Not Lexus level, but generally even all around (again, they should be, it's a display model).
Most of the above are criticisms, but overall we do like the car, and will hopefully love it once we can drive it.