Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is using Google map for turn-by-turn navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
Just a FYI, most of Model 3 user might noticed the navigation voice is changed, but after a couple of comparison between my Model S and Model 3 with iPhone. I found the biggest change is the turn-by-turn navigation is finally using Google Map.

Back in the era of Model S, my assumption is they're using Navigon/Garmin's map coupled with Google's traffic info to calculate the route. The final result never as efficient as Google Map/Waze, sometime even error introduced because of missing latest location info on Navigon's map.

I made lots of routes calculation in rush hour, the route came up with Model 3 always matching Google Map on cellphone.
So I'm confident to say Model 3 finally ditched Navigon's map and totally embrace Google Map. Hope they can made the change back to Model S.

btw, I really like the Model 3's street name and exit display:

7583894480_IMG_0111.JPG

Problem is, if you enter a dead area, the map will not continue to update as it relies on a connection. Navigon was nice because the maps were on board and didn't need a connection. Just had this happen driving from Needles to Buckeye. Knew where I as going so not an issue.

Guess it's a good thing the 3 has map pockets then. ;)

I have an app that I can download maps on my phone, so I guess I will make sure it always has an updated map before a trip out into the desert.

Right off the Tesla.com Model 3 spec page:
  • 15″ touchscreen with onboard maps & navigation
But it seems to me they could have onboard maps provided by Google. In the Model S when you lose cell service you still have the Navigon display, but the central Google map display goes blank. That would be no good in the Model 3, since there is only the central Google map display.

Problem is, if you enter a dead area, the map will not continue to update as it relies on a connection. Navigon was nice because the maps were on board and didn't need a connection. Just had this happen driving from Needles to Buckeye. Knew where I as going so not an issue.

I've seen the manual address input box once on Model 3, when there is no LTE connection, too bad, I didn't test it's ability.
But I assume since it has this offline navigation input, it still has some basic functions for route calculation.

No no no, it's not using google maps for navigation. It's using Tesla Maps called Vahalla which is based on the open source MapBox platform and another one I can't think off the top of my head, but no it's not using Google Maps it uses Tesla Maps on M3

Funny that the map has a big "Google" watermark down in the corner of the display.

Edit: Or are you saying it's like the Model S in that the display is Google maps, but the nav is using separate offline maps.

Google does not allow any third party to utilize Google's Navigation functionality (Source: 10.4 c iii ). Google does however allow third parties to integrate with its maps. This is what Tesla has always done - used Google Maps as its foundation while overlaying navigation information from another source.

The new navigation overhaul will work similarly. It will not be native Google Navigation powering the nav. Looks like it might be already on the Model 3.

Last edited:
How about this use case?
You are at a Supercharger on a 400 mile trip. The Supercharger is located in an area of no cellular service. You want to enter your destination.

My experience was the "finding Superchargers for your trip" displays with a circling icon that never in facts provides any routing. In other words, if you don't have your destination pre-entered, you lose the directions to where you're going, and worse, have no estimates of energy left at any Supercharger on the route.

This observation was on day 2 of ownership, near the Indio, CA Supercharger on our way to Sedona, AZ. It's also relevant that during this time there should have been LTE service but the car didn't connect, and that other wonky things seemed to be happening (like USB stick music started to work, when it wasn't recognized previously!). So this may be a one off situation.

I'm curious if anyone in the hinterlands (I mean where there's no LTE service as indicated in the car's display) can try entering destinations by name (e.g., "navigate to Honda Center in Anaheim, California") or street address (e.g., "navigate to 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Munsterville, IA"), and reporting the results. We know for sure the map won't paint, but will you get turn-by-turn directions offline?

Model s is not Valhalla, disagree all you want but I’m correct.

M3 == Valhalla and MS/X == Navigon

If you disagree with these facts root your car and look. And yes these are facts, but they are putting the pieces in place for all to use Valhalla but it hasn’t fully dropped yet, just bits and pieces.

@verygreen even did a demo of it on his X

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
How about this use case?
You are at a Supercharger on a 400 mile trip. The Supercharger is located in an area of no cellular service. You want to enter your destination.

My experience was the "finding Superchargers for your trip" displays with a circling icon that never in facts provides any routing. In other words, if you don't have your destination pre-entered, you lose the directions to where you're going, and worse, have no estimates of energy left at any Supercharger on the route.

This observation was on day 2 of ownership, near the Indio, CA Supercharger on our way to Sedona, AZ. It's also relevant that during this time there should have been LTE service but the car didn't connect, and that other wonky things seemed to be happening (like USB stick music started to work, when it wasn't recognized previously!). So this may be a one off situation.

I'm curious if anyone in the hinterlands (I mean where there's no LTE service as indicated in the car's display) can try entering destinations by name (e.g., "navigate to Honda Center in Anaheim, California") or street address (e.g., "navigate to 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Munsterville, IA"), and reporting the results. We know for sure the map won't paint, but will you get turn-by-turn directions offline?
In my experience, voice recognition doesn't work if there is no cell service. I think you'd have to enter the address manually. Not completely sure on this, but I know I have not been able to use voice to enter a destination when there was no service.