Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 key fob: no passive entry is something I want.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have encontered several times I was in a crowded underground garage and want to use summon to squeeze in some compact space. However there is no cell phone signal so summon through my phone didn't work.

Now that model 3 key fob would be used as "offline" summon remote, I'm planning to buy one. Meanwhile, I really enjoy the "keyless" experience of model 3. No need to carry a key fob in my pocket is something I don't want to give up.

So, with no passive entry, I can just leave the key fob in my model 3 when I don't need summon, and keep it locked. Passive entry key fobs would make your car free for anyone when left inside. I wish tesla *Never* add passive entry to model 3 key fob.

I have encontered several times I was in a crowded underground garage and want to use summon to squeeze in some compact space. However there is no cell phone signal so summon through my phone didn't work.

Now that model 3 key fob would be used as "offline" summon remote, I'm planning to buy one. Meanwhile, I really enjoy the "keyless" experience of model 3. No need to carry a key fob in my pocket is something I don't want to give up.

So, with no passive entry, I can just leave the key fob in my model 3 when I don't need summon, and keep it locked. Passive entry key fobs would make your car free for anyone when left inside. I wish tesla *Never* add passive entry to model 3 key fob.
I think it's not possible for the model 3's key fob to have passive entry since it only communicate with the car when you push the button.

I am very tempted to get the fob for summon. I like your idea of leaving the fob in the car.

I might have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the fob works, but doesn't it connect via Bluetooth to start the car? You don't need to place it on the NFC? Thus if you leave it in your car, someone can just drive off?

Me, personally, I can't wait to see how leaving a key in the car is going to work out for you.
I will hide it in the armrest or glovebox.
I might have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the fob works, but doesn't it connect via Bluetooth to start the car? You don't need to place it on the NFC? Thus if you leave it in your car, someone can just drive off?
Yes we don't need to place it on the NFC, but I don't think it's using bluetooth. It should be more like those old non-handsfree key remote, it would not send any signal to the car without pushing a button (that's why no passive entry).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricLee
You have to push the button for it to communicate with the car. So if the car is locked, you'd have to break into the car first, and then you can use the fob to start the car.

I wouldn't do it. Makes it way too easy to steal the car. The glovebox can be easily cracked open with a screwdriver (which is something a burglar would probably do anyway to check for valuables).
You could enable PIN to drive. Even with the key fob they cannot drive your car away without your pin. And I really doubt someone target in the trunk would bother searching the glovebox. Even some of the owners forget there is a glovebox in their car.

You could enable PIN to drive. Even with the key fob they cannot drive your car away without your pin. And I really doubt someone target in the trunk would bother searching the glovebox. Even some of the owners forget there is a glovebox in their car.
Most perpetrators just want to steal items from the car and not steal the car itself. It would be very difficult to sell the car and it's not like you can really make money gutting it for parts.

Most perpetrators just want to steal items from the car and not steal the car itself. It would be very difficult to sell the car and it's not like you can really make money gutting it for parts.
I love when opinion tries to pass itself off as fact. What, exactly, is the basis of your statement? Do you have research you should have provided citations for? Are you an insurance actuary? Is it based of countless interviews with car thieves? Perhaps you, secretly (or openly) are a car thief. Please let us know the authority upon which you state your facts?

Oh, fyi, car theft is the one area where it's been proven, time and time again, that the sum of the parts are greater than the whole.

"it's not like you can really make money gutting it for parts." - actually, this is EXACTLY THE ECONOMIC MODEL FOR CAR THEFT!!!!!!!!!

I love when opinion tries to pass itself off as fact. What, exactly, is the basis of your statement? Do you have research you should have provided citations for? Are you an insurance actuary? Is it based of countless interviews with car thieves? Perhaps you, secretly (or openly) are a car thief. Please let us know the authority upon which you state your facts?

Aren't you doing the same exact thing? How many Model 3s have been stolen vs how many were broken in to just to steal items? Where is your "facts"?

Oh, fyi, car theft is the one area where it's been proven, time and time again, that the sum of the parts are greater than the whole.

"it's not like you can really make money gutting it for parts." - actually, this is EXACTLY THE ECONOMIC MODEL FOR CAR THEFT!!!!!!!!!
My statement is only pertaining to a Model 3. I'm not talking about all cars. Right now all the Model 3 on the road are under warranty. So there is no demand for the parts. So if you steal it and gut it for parts. Who are you selling it to?

I didn't make any such statement. I said "I can't wait to see how it works out for you."

HUGE difference.
You aren't even correct in what you, yourself said. This is what you wrote:

"I love when opinion tries to pass itself off as fact. What, exactly, is the basis of your statement? Do you have research you should have provided citations for? Are you an insurance actuary? Is it based of countless interviews with car thieves? Perhaps you, secretly (or openly) are a car thief. Please let us know the authority upon which you state your facts?"

No where in that rant is the sentence "I can't wait to see how it works out for you".

It seems like you're saying that my statement that most perpetrators of the Model 3 are doing smash and grab and not stealing the car is wrong. So where is your fact to refute my statement?

On my Model S if you keep a fob in the car anyone will be able to enter the car and drive off.

And you really don't want to do this with the S fobs - if you leave/lose a fob in the car for enough time, your passive entry and keyless start will start getting wonky with ALL your fobs, and you'll have to bring them all back to the SC to be re-programmed. I've been there...