Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All....have some more info I wanted to share re: DCU. They have actually been fantastic (albeit long hold times but they have a call-back feature).

The rate right now is 1.99% but there's a discount for both direct deposit AND EV which brings it down to I believe 1.49%. So for example on a $40k/60month loan you're saving about $1k....

They require an MVPA (motor vehicle payment agreement) to be uploaded. It's NOT the generic order agreement that you will show while waiting for your car. You need one that is much more detailed. You can get that if you call Tesla and tell them you are financing through a third party. Once you do that in a day or two you will get the MVPA into your tesla account. Upload that to DCU and you're on your way.

Appreciate the education so trying to pay it forward. Thanks to a few of you recommending this I'm saving $1k which is not chump change!

Last edited:
OD: 12/8
LRAWD/DBM/White/Aero
EDD: 2/14-2/18
VIN:168xxx
AMD: Confirmed by SA via text

It is asking for payment NOW.
Do I make payment now or after visual inspection?
I plan on paying with cashiers check and will hand over the payment after my visual inspection. You will need to let them know though if you are not paying before the scheduled delivery date so that they know that you will be coming and that they do not pass on your car to the next customer.

All....have some more info I wanted to share re: DCU. They have actually been fantastic (albeit long hold times but they have a call-back feature).

The rate right now is 1.99% but there's a discount for both direct deposit AND EV which brings it down to I believe 1.49%. So for example on a $40k/60month loan you're saving about $1k....

They require an MVPA (motor vehicle payment agreement) to be uploaded. It's NOT the generic order agreement that you will show while waiting for your car. You need one that is much more detailed. You can get that if you call Tesla and tell them you are financing through a third party. Once you do that in a day or two you will get the MVPA into your tesla account. Upload that to DCU and you're on your way.

Appreciate the education so trying to pay it forward. Thanks to a few of you recommending this I'm saving $1k which is not chump change!
Did u get the MVPA before getting a VIN?

Reactions: EvDoss
did you get the 2% locally?
Nope. Cali rates are exhorbitant. Even SDCCU is nuts.

Just looked up online found a few who would not ding my credit while checking. PenFed was the last one at 1.79

I bought a motorcycle a while back which I financed through DCU( best rates even then- 2011). The Harley dealer told me about it. So technically I should be some sort of member. I did try to login and do the forgot password drill but they may have kicked me out since I closed the loan. But I used to get these checking account statements till 2020. So fingers crossed.

Will speak with them, if not will get the membership at the cheapest thing they want you to be a member of before you can apply.

It brings it down to a net of 1.24% - .5% off for the plus banking + .25 off for EV

The below (sort of) worked for me today. YMMV. I am currently in the first day of a 2 week EDD window (which means I'll probably get pushed out again tomorrow). If you are not very near a short EDD window this probably won't work.

I sent a text this morning to the number that texted me the original "welcome" text. Here is the exchange.

Me: Sorry to bug you but if it will help me get a car sooner the blue or MSM colors would be just fine with me if there are any available to match me with! I don't have any cars right now so hope to get one soon... The blue especially looks good if you have any. My closest reservation number is RNxxxxxxxxx. Thanks!

Me: (My chosen color, white, is also of course fine with me!)

Me: I don't want to do anything to push out my date. Just wanted to let you know I am flexible and would consider other colors if one becomes available sooner. Thanks

SA: Sounds good! We will let you know if anything comes available sooner.

SA: Hi Carl, I have a Long Range Model 3 in midnight silver, black interior, standard wheels available. Do you want that one?

Me: Probably! What's the VIN? Does it have the new chip everyone's talking about? Was it rejected by someone else and if so were the problems corrected?

SA: Brand new car, customer isn't ready for delivery for a few months, it has the Intel chip

Me: Thanks, but I'm hoping for one with the Ryzen. My previous Model 3 had Intel and the media apps were kind of slow so I'm hoping for the new chip. Thanks for offering, though

Me: Otherwise would take in a heartbeat!

SA: Sounds good

And so that was that. Hopefully they don't punish me for not taking it!

Nope. Cali rates are exhorbitant. Even SDCCU is nuts.

Just looked up online found a few who would not ding my credit while checking. PenFed was the last one at 1.79

I bought a motorcycle a while back which I financed through DCU( best rates even then- 2011). The Harley dealer told me about it. So technically I should be some sort of member. I did try to login and do the forgot password drill but they may have kicked me out since I closed the loan. But I used to get these checking account statements till 2020. So fingers crossed.

Will speak with them, if not will get the membership at the cheapest thing they want you to be a member of before you can apply.
thx..yes i looked at the DCU membership...just seems like a pain. CalCoast has great rates but it's only good if you use their buyer (Tesla isn't on the list). as of now i'm financing through Tesla ...

Reactions: Kaytu
The below (sort of) worked for me today. YMMV. I am currently in the first day of a 2 week EDD window (which means I'll probably get pushed out again tomorrow). If you are not very near a short EDD window this probably won't work.

I sent a text this morning to the number that texted me the original "welcome" text. Here is the exchange.

Hmm, looks like there are still MSM's out there with the Intel chip like the one I rejected almost three weeks ago. Wondering if I get again assigned to one of those when my hold ends next week on Feb 9.

It brings it down to a net of 1.24% - .5% off for the plus banking + .25 off for EV
Has anyone in this waiting room successfully gotten the 1.24% rate or is it just going off what the website says? I haven't dealt with DCU (yet) but my old Credit Union played the game that since it says "As low as" on the 1.49%, they couldn't add the additional 0.25% for EVs... Could be different with DCU though (and I hope it is for when I apply hopefully soon).

Reactions: daveotero and Kaytu
And yet another change this morning: 2/6-2/18. It's like they're trying to make up for my EDD staying the same for almost two months by giving me tons of updates right at the end 😆
Mine changed about 4 times in the final week before I got the VIN. And I got the VIN and took delivery the same day. Many changes without a huge shift in date range is goooood :)

Has anyone in this waiting room successfully gotten the 1.24% rate or is it just going off what the website says? I haven't dealt with DCU (yet) but my old Credit Union played the game that since it says "As low as" on the 1.49%, they couldn't add the additional 0.25% for EVs... Could be different with DCU though (and I hope it is for when I apply hopefully soon).
Good point.
I would highly encourage folks to check a typical amortization schedule (fancy banker words for monthly payment schedule).

If you use an online tool you can dial the rates up and down and see what you pay as overall interest, and say note the difference between a 1.49 and 1.24. I’ll bet it’s not much and you can always make a bunch of higher payments towards your principal every now and then and bring it further down if not eliminate it completely.

thx..yes i looked at the DCU membership...just seems like a pain. CalCoast has great rates but it's only good if you use their buyer (Tesla isn't on the list). as of now i'm financing through Tesla ...

I'd been planning on going through Tesla too, since they were offering financing at 2.49%, but I was holding on applying until I had a more firm/imminent EDD and now the rate has gone up to 2.74%, so I'm planning to see about going through DCU to save more money. I found a super detailed step-by-step how-to for DCU on Reddit that I plan to follow; hopefully I can make that work (I unfortunately just had my [very good] credit run for a refi in mid-Dec., we'll see how or if that impacts things).

Reactions: Kaytu

Fingers crossed you get your VIN today!!!

Reactions: CarlThompson