Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spending a couple minutes playing around with the filters on the spreadsheet, its pretty easy to see how base configs on average, take longer than non-base. Now, the different is much smaller than the difference between the average LR and P, but it seems to exist.
Your comment proves my point. Tesla's way of doing business is to make those who are ordering base level vehicles wait extended periods of times, thus "encouraging" people to upgrade to non-base models so their orders are processed faster. That IMO is sort of like a car salesman at a dealership. Make others wait to squeez as much money as they can from someone else. I get that its a business but just because they don't have third party dealerships does not mean they aren't squeezing people for extra money selling upgrades.

Spending a couple minutes playing around with the filters on the spreadsheet, its pretty easy to see how base configs on average, take longer than non-base. Now, the different is much smaller than the difference between the average LR and P, but it seems to exist.
A scatter plot isn't ideal to examine this, but here's one anyway. It looks to me like base models are delayed on average no more than 10-14 days, and that that's only on average. Any given base model order could easily be assigned a VIN faster than a given non-base model order. The longest delays for VINs are for base models, and they can be pretty long. There's that one guy who claimed he had to wait 170 days or so for his base model VIN.

Order to VIN by Model.png

Your comment proves my point. Tesla's way of doing business is to make those who are ordering base level vehicles wait extended periods of times, thus "encouraging" people to upgrade to non-base models so their orders are processed faster. That IMO is sort of like a car salesman at a dealership. Make others wait to squeez as much money as they can from someone else. I get that its a business but just because they don't have third party dealerships does not mean they aren't squeezing people for extra money selling upgrades.
We've heard this argument before, and I think it's completely off base. Tesla isn't scamming, pressuring or manipulating anyone. If you want a lower-spec car, order it. You'll get it. If you want a higher-spec car, order it. You'll get it. According to the scatterplot here, the person ordering the lower-spec car may well get their car before the person ordering the higher-spec car.

Edit: Horizontal axis is the day of order, and the vertical axis is the days spent waiting for a VIN

Last edited:
For Tesla it's all about profit margin and they're going to push out the higher-priced cars first. It makes sense but it's also sad to see. What's been troubling to me is watching people move up from the standard to long-range or even all of the way up to performance just to get a car sooner. Some actually wanted the next car up anyway but many are simply doing it to get the car right away and while it's not my business I have to wonder if they're biting off more than they can chew with the payment? I can handle the performance payment but have no need for what it brings to the table and I'm not going to pretend I need it just so I get a car immediately. Hopefully it works out for everyone.

Ok yes fair enough i could have said it a little better but the difference is minimal. Also are you really going to change the color of your car just to get it maybe a week earlier ( being rhetorical). My point was really that if you really wanna move the edd you need to upgrade to a P.
One of my assumptions as to why the P's demand is shorter and thus sees more progression is because it doesn't share the wheels that SR/LR has. Überturbine is exclusive to the Performance. So, less demand for that. That's just my perspective, feel free to throw in other beliefs.

Reactions: Nfletcher
For Tesla it's all about profit margin and they're going to push out the higher-priced cars first. It makes sense but it's also sad to see. What's been troubling to me is watching people move up from the standard to long-range or even all of the way up to performance just to get a car sooner. Some actually wanted the next car up anyway but many are simply doing it to get the car right away and while it's not my business I have to wonder if they're biting off more than they can chew with the payment? I can handle the performance payment but have no need for what it brings to the table and I'm not going to pretend I need it just so I get a car immediately. Hopefully it works out for everyone.
Yep, I agree 100%. I understand business profit, but the way Tesla makes cars most of the add ons like FSD, Homelink, and acceleration can be added or removed from any level vehicle. I think Tesla is not seeing the big picture that some people who order base vehicles may decide to add those features once the vehicle is deiivered anyway. In other words, Tesla is going to make sales and money no matter what. But, it just gets frustrating how they randomly fulfill orders. I ordered in early March and had to extend registration on a vehicle I am going to sell, initially got financing based on the original May deliver EDD because I was not aware of the Tesla system. Just makes lfe difficult for those trying to get a Tesla. Knowing how it works ahead of time would have prepared me more. ;)

Yep, I agree 100%. I understand business profit, but the way Tesla makes cars most of the add ons like FSD, Homelink, and acceleration can be added or removed from any level vehicle. I think Tesla is not seeing the big picture that some people who order base vehicles may decide to add those features once the vehicle is deiivered anyway. In other words, Tesla is going to make sales and money no matter what. But, it just gets frustrating how they randomly fulfill orders. I ordered in early March and had to extend registration on a vehicle I am going to sell, initially got financing based on the original May deliver EDD because I was not aware of the Tesla system. Just makes lfe difficult for those trying to get a Tesla. Knowing how it works ahead of time would have prepared me more. ;)
One reason I bought the support upgrade to this site is to show my thanks for what I've learned here. Like you, I didn't fully understand how it all worked in the beginning and ended up with two credit pulls but since then I learned so much from the people here and it's both helped me save money but it's also made the wait a lot easier. I hope the discussions we're having here now will help new potential buyers in the future.

Last edited:
One reason I bought the support upgrades to this site is to show my thanks for what I've learned here. Like you, I didn't fully understand how it all worked in the beginning and ended up with two credit pulls but since then I learned so much from the people here and it's both helped me save money but it's also made the wait a lot easier. I hope the discussions we're having here now will help new potential buyers in the future.
Totally agree this site has been a blessing. I have learned a lot too. It also feels good to vent to others who feel the same frustration of waiting for their new Tesla. Seriously, I was so happy and excited when TJ finally got his VIN, my sister thought I had finally gotten my own VIN. 😂🤣

Explain how this is different than any other business? Tesla is in it to make make money not to rush cars out. Again, they have a red hot product with a shortage of components. I know the wait is hard but it's worth it. You'll love the car just be patient.

Reactions: jpaychek and ZZ118
Explain how this is different than any other business? Tesla is in it to make make money not to rush cars out. Again, they have a red hot product with a shortage of components. I know the wait is hard but it's worth it. You'll love the car just be patient.
I never suggested that it was different. I certainly wouldn't pretend to be on Tesla's level but I have three companies and not one of them prioritizes orders, appointments or customers based on profit. But that may explain why Elon is a billionaire and I'm just living comfortably. lol

And in case you missed it I am being patient and expressing my concern about those that are not being patient and upgrading simply to get a car without a wait.

Reactions: jpaychek and ZZ118
Just got pushed back to a 2 week window June 14-June 28. Previously was at a 10 day window at June 6-june16. Super annoying
Probably the typical situation where they know they can bring over cars to your area on a truck in a day or two. Hopefully you get your VIN soon and they get you delivered before the quarter ends!

One of my assumptions as to why the P's demand is shorter and thus sees more progression is because it doesn't share the wheels that SR/LR has. Überturbine is exclusive to the Performance. So, less demand for that. That's just my perspective, feel free to throw in other beliefs.
I think it's just more expensive and more of a niche car. The LR IMO is the perfect balance of the model 3's and that's why I think it's demand is so high comparatively

And in case you missed it I am being patient and expressing my concern about those that are not being patient and upgrading simply to get a car without a wait.
And most people have a reason as to why they want it sooner than later. Gas prices are increasing out of control, and I'm already speculating we will hit $5 a gallon here. It was $2 a gallon last year, and it's a huge difference for people used to Florida gas prices (understandably, people from other states where gas is almost at $8 or $9 a gallon will think our prices are low, but for us in Florida, this is a nightmare as is for everyone else in the country).

Yeah, I jumped from RWD to LR firstly because Hertz's huge order batch is still being fulfilled, and it neglected so many people from 2021 still waiting on their orders that they moved on to LR. Then I jumped to Performance for the car to get here sooner, but also to avoid the surge in March orders in the LR whilst gas prices are going up. Remember that the grand majority of orders may not be a TMC member willing to share with us their order status(es), neither may they realize that a spreadsheet exists. The spreadsheet is definitely more populated than people announcing their orders here.

Also before I switched to P, of course I had to make several financial estimates on whether or not the P is at reach with my income. My RAV4 is surprisingly worth more than when I purchased it brand new back in 2017 and it only has 32k miles. It's being taken to Carvana, as CarMax offered $1,000 less. With a $22,000 down payment, plus 2.19% APR from the CU, the pricing is almost relative as if I was financing an LR with Tesla with an outrageous APR rate and $22,000 down payment.

Reactions: jpaychek
A scatter plot isn't ideal to examine this, but here's one anyway. It looks to me like base models are delayed on average no more than 10-14 days, and that that's only on average. Any given base model order could easily be assigned a VIN faster than a given non-base model order. The longest delays for VINs are for base models, and they can be pretty long. There's that one guy who claimed he had to wait 170 days or so for his base model VIN.

View attachment 813634

We've heard this argument before, and I think it's completely off base. Tesla isn't scamming, pressuring or manipulating anyone. If you want a lower-spec car, order it. You'll get it. If you want a higher-spec car, order it. You'll get it. According to the scatterplot here, the person ordering the lower-spec car may well get their car before the person ordering the higher-spec car.

Edit: Horizontal axis is the day of order, and the vertical axis is the days spent waiting for a VIN

Last edited:
For anyone else who has put a hold on their account after/near receiving a VIN, how long after the hold was lifted did stuff start to happen? I will be on vacation the last week in June and want to make sure nothing happens until after July 1st, but also understand it won't likely be quick. My SA said they had MANY people put their accounts on hold right now due to the Illinois rebate requiring purchase date be after July 1 ($4k incentive) and there could be a decent backlog.