Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DIY Ceramic coating - don't waste money with a pro​

Living in the Northeast where we get harsh winter and hot summers, I've always had to be on top of our vehicles. Especially when from November through March there really isn't much opportunity to even wash the car because of the weather, even though road salt turns every vehicle gray. Currently, my wife and I have a BMW X5 and a Ford Raptor which I applied Adams Ceramic coating to both of them 18-24 months ago. Both are still repelling water/dirt like the day I coated them, which is surprising because the Raptor is always outside and the BMW is garage kept.

Anyway, this is what my process is to ceramic coat a car. Hopefully, it's of value to someone who may have never ventured down the detailing road. This will be the process I use immediately after taking delivery of my Model Y.
(Note: none of the links are affiliate links and clicking any of them doesn't benefit me in any way. Just providing a means to quickly look at products I use)

Wash Decontamination. Spray car using foam cannon with strip wash. Use microfiber cleaning sponge & bucket to then wash car down. Rinse car
* This step will remove any polish/wax that the dealer may have put on the car. I use Adams Strip wash

Chemical Decontamination. Spray Iron remover on car. With gloves on, use small microfiber towel to spread evenly on paint. Let it sit a few minutes, then rinse.
* This step will remove any iron from the factory and/or transporting vehicle to you. Especially if it ships via train. Warning: The iron remover smells REALLY bad. I use CarPro IronX or Adams Iron Remover

Hand Decontamination. Using lubricant spray and either a clay bar or synthetic pad, spray lubricant on car and run clay/pad across paint until there are no particles being picked up. You'll know when you feel them. Just use a lot of lubricant and do small sections at a time & do every surface including paint, glass and plastics. Rinse car well when done. If you have some dried up lubricant on car, quick wash it before rinsing.
* I've used Griot's Clay bar & Speed Shine in the past, but recently switched to Nanoskin AutoScrub sponge and Nanoskin Glide

Dry car. Sounds simple, but make sure the car is dry before next step. In the past I've used a leaf blower, but if you do MAKE SURE if it's one that also vacuums up leaves that there are no pieces left in it or you'll be sandblasting the car.

Polish car. For this step, you really do need a polisher. A great entry level polisher is the Griots G9 polisher $129. Couple that with Adams Polish and an Adams White pad and you will really notice the difference in the paint. If your paint has a lot of swirls/scratches in it, start with Adams Compound first, and then move to polish. The great part about Adams polishing products is the color of the polish is the same color pad you need to use.

It is essential that you use a surface cleaner between the polish and ceramic/sealant step. The polish leaves oils on the paint that will mess with the LSP's ability to bond and can dramatically reduce the life of the LSP. There are lots of pre-bottled solutions, but isopropyl alcohol diluted with distilled water works just fine as well.

The kit I used from Adams had Surface Prep included, which was part of the instructions.

Apply sealant. There are many prosumer sealants out there, and almost all will offer a 4-7 year ceramic protection on your car. When the Tesla comes in, I'll use Adams Graphene coating $90. Note: You want the BOTTLE of coating, not a spray! Big difference!! One bottle can do two cars. I'll likely also do the wheels with this as well. Follow the directions on the bottle of whichever sealant you use and be sure to remove the product in the timeframe it indicates. Just do small areas of the car at a time, wait for it to dry/flash and then remove it.

All together, if you had absolutely none of the products mentioned above, it would cost about $300-400 which includes buying a polisher. Considering you could do two cars for a few hundred $$$, it's a big savings. Even if you never used the polisher again.

EDIT: Ironically, after browsing obsessed garage, I came across Matt's video where he's detailing a new Tesla. Almost identical to what I just posted above. CHeck it out
Matt at Obsessed Garage's process.

A couple of other suggestions:
  • As noted earlier, you need to strip the paint after polishing
  • On a new car, I would polish selectively, where you see issues, and not automatically polish the whole car
  • Emphasize applying the coating in small sections--no more than a panel--also use one of those paint correction lights to check for areas that you missed or high spots that you should knock down before its done flashing
How long does it take to complete the entire process as described in your post?

Strip wash. 10 min
Iron remove spray. 20 min
Clay Bar. 30 min
Polish. 60 min
Prep & apply coating. 60-90 min.

Could be anywhere from 3-4 hours for the above. Of course, there's also the tires, inside of car & then cleaning everything up and putting it all away. Not to mention taking a break here or there. I'd count on 5-6 hours.

If you’re not a Pro, Multiply every category other than the coating by 2-4x, in my experience.

The process is easy, it just takes a lot of time to do it. I would say anyone can do it if you have patience. Remember, the most important part it's buffing, you need to wait for 2 to 10 mins depending on your room tempature. If it's summer, usually 2 mins, then you need to wax if the towel. The best way it's to wait for ceramic the change it's color like the rainbow, then you need to wax/clean up with towel. I have weak eyes, so I did the timing.
Is worth it? Definitely big YES. Either you DYI or professionally is a must-have to me. Your car will shine, it will skid all water, also very easy to wash your car.

Also, once yall are done do not use car washes anymore, as they use aggressive ph soaps that will break down your coating.
This is awesome info and I thank you muchly.

First off, I've never detailed a car before. I'd wash it with shampoo for detergent spray, maybe use a sponge w/ plastic netting to knock off most of the bugs on the front, spray it and call it good. Ya, I know, I'm that guy. Having said that, I want to amend my wayward ways.

My EDD is Dec 2022 and I live in St Louis MO. In Dec it could be freezing rain, 8 inches of snow or sunny and a high in the mid 40s.

Question: I'd like to do this ASAP after delivery but is that imperative? If unable to do is it 'ok' to drive until weather permits or should I protect it in the garage until I can finish the finish.

@myt-e-s-l-a

Thanks

Reactions: ZZ118
Hello, I have a question.

My delivery window is 9/12 to 9/16, but the app hasn't noticed me to choose the exact delivery date.
I haven't uploaded insurance information and paid the downpayment.

Is this normal situation?

Thanks
Mine was 9/9-9-15, and on 9/6 I was able to schedule for 9/14 delivery. They're probably just waiting for your car to get closer before they let you schedule. My car still isn't in the city but it should be in the next few days they said. I can see why some SCs wouldn't want to be in the situation of offering delivery without the car there yet, so I'm sure it varies.

Reactions: Willys22
Tesla called this morning pickup bumped up to tomorrow at 230pm!!!

To answer a few other posts
@deuskid I'd try to do it asap. The more it is in the elements the dirtier it will get. Personally I'm going to try to start it tomorrow after delivery.
@kevinquisition yes global=matrix, premium=standard
@codezod about 10 days, but in Texas they will contact you sooner because you need to pay for delivery prior to the car crossing into the state. So it may take a day or two extra

Thank you @ZZ118.

I am trying to apply for the loan now and it looks like there is some issue with the online application so I'll have to wait till Monday to give them a call. In your opinion is 1 week enough to get the loan approved. I am applying to GEFCU, Austin credit union.

So I didn't realize it at the time but today was my last time putting gas into my old car. Possibly forever? but we will see what the future holds.

My car is a 2001 toyota solar, convertible. We bought it used but it was still a beauty when we got it. Unfortunately time wears all things down and now she is old rusted sqeaky and nearing her last legs. Good memories though. I remember when I was younger begging my parents to let me take her out and being so happy the (few) times that they did. Then finally years ago they gave me to her when they finally got new cars themselves. We used to take her top down and ride it around the beach in the summer, she even was one of the cars used for the town parade each year. I remember picking up my (now) wife for our first date in her and driving around the island after dinner. Shes gotten me thru many cold snowy winters, had fun driving around the highways and taken me to my medical school interview years ago.

Now the end has come, and she is slated to be sent to the junker soon. While I will miss her and the good times unfortunately there are too many mechanical issues to justify fixing anymore. So this is a ode to the end of a era and the start of a new one. I never named her but friends called her Agnes ;). Goodbye and goodluck you will be missed.

I'm trying to find a small part of the old car that I can take and add to the new tesla as a tribute.

Sorry to get sappy I know its a car not a person but I've had it for 15 years and just wanted a proper sendoff.

Thank you @ZZ118.

I am trying to apply for the loan now and it looks like there is some issue with the online application so I'll have to wait till Monday to give them a call. In your opinion is 1 week enough to get the loan approved. I am applying to GEFCU, Austin credit union.
Tbh idk. I applied thru tesla financing you get an answer in only a few hours usually. The credit union will likely take a few days as you will need to provide paperwork etc and then wait for them to cut a check. Tesla financing is automatic just answer a few questions adn you are done. There current rate is 4.49% but depending on how long you are financing and if you pay off early that really isn't that much of a difference to say a 3% loan. If your car is already in transit the clock is ticking. Tesla is very very picky about delivering cars during the quarter push and usually will not hold them. 7 days is going to be very tight.

So I didn't realize it at the time but today was my last time putting gas into my old car. Possibly forever? but we will see what the future holds.

My car is a 2001 toyota solar, convertible. We bought it used but it was still a beauty when we got it. Unfortunately time wears all things down and now she is old rusted sqeaky and nearing her last legs. Good memories though. I remember when I was younger begging my parents to let me take her out and being so happy the (few) times that they did. Then finally years ago they gave me to her when they finally got new cars themselves. We used to take her top down and ride it around the beach in the summer, she even was one of the cars used for the town parade each year. I remember picking up my (now) wife for our first date in her and driving around the island after dinner. Shes gotten me thru many cold snowy winters, had fun driving around the highways and taken me to my medical school interview years ago.

Now the end has come, and she is slated to be sent to the junker soon. While I will miss her and the good times unfortunately there are too many mechanical issues to justify fixing anymore. So this is a ode to the end of a era and the start of a new one. I never named her but friends called her Agnes ;). Goodbye and goodluck you will be missed.

I'm trying to find a small part of the old car that I can take and add to the new tesla as a tribute.

Sorry to get sappy I know its a car not a person but I've had it for 15 years and just wanted a proper sendoff.
Hey, I name all my cars.... call me sappy

Thank you @ZZ118.

Every bank or credit union should be able to get it done in a couple days. I work in banking and there really isn’t much that goes into a car loan other than pulling a credit report and determining what your income is.

Huh, I'll have to check then. I am financing through credit union since they are giving 1.99% on 36 month loan.

Worse case scenario, I'll just go through Tesla financing.
1.99% is a great deal ngl. However if I could make a suggestion... do Tesla for 72 months, There rate is always the same regardless of months (4.49% currently). This will give you lower monthly payments but you can simply give double the payments and have it done in 36 months. This way though you have lower monthly payments in case something happens one month. You may pay a little more in interest this way but probably not more. Or a tleast consider that as a plan B. My best advice would be to call your SA explain the finance situation and go from there. Is your app currently set to cash or third party financing? Tesla will not schedule delivery unless you can prove you can pay the balance in full either all in cash or with financin

New EDD and first 2 week window. Updated overnight from Dec 2022 to Sept 23 - Oct 6.

Given that I am in Illinois, I'm guessing I either get a VIN and it ships from the factory in the next few days, or I get pushed back. I think it would need to ship this week for me to get it before quarter end, or they will move it to someone on the west coast that can receive it before quarter end. Still great to get off the Dec 2022 EDD.

Reactions: guerro and ZZ118
1.99% is a great deal ngl. However if I could make a suggestion... do Tesla for 72 months, There rate is always the same regardless of months (4.49% currently). This will give you lower monthly payments but you can simply give double the payments and have it done in 36 months. This way though you have lower monthly payments in case something happens one month. You may pay a little more in interest this way but probably not more. Or a tleast consider that as a plan B. My best advice would be to call your SA explain the finance situation and go from there. Is your app currently set to cash or third party financing? Tesla will not schedule delivery unless you can prove you can pay the balance in full either all in cash or with financin
Not a bad idea. Definitely a plan B. I will call the SA and see what can we work out. I have switched to financing yesterday.
Every bank or credit union should be able to get it done in a couple days. I work in banking and there really isn’t much that goes into a car loan other than pulling a credit report and determining what your income is.
Thank you. I will call them on Monday.

New EDD and first 2 week window. Updated overnight from Dec 2022 to Sept 23 - Oct 6.

Given that I am in Illinois, I'm guessing I either get a VIN and it ships from the factory in the next few days, or I get pushed back. I think it would need to ship this week for me to get it before quarter end, or they will move it to someone on the west coast that can receive it before quarter end. Still great to get off the Dec 2022 EDD.

I’m almost the same.
M3LR MSM 19 BLK IL OD 7/9
EDD 9/23-10/5
There is still hope for this quarter…

Reactions: MSM4thewin