Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah.. I don’t need the car as mine runs just fine (albeit 236,000 miles), but I’m also like you and just excited beyond words.
Tesla automatically placed me on 12/31 at 11:30. Didn’t work with my schedule. Called them and asked for an update and If that delivery was accurate. They said car was arriving tomorrow and they could have me pick it up Thursday. I said I could Wednesday or Friday (1/1). Obviously I’m sure you can guess the day they picked so we will see if it actually arrives tomorrow or not.

Tesla automatically placed me on 12/31 at 11:30. Didn’t work with my schedule. Called them and asked for an update and If that delivery was accurate. They said car was arriving tomorrow and they could have me pick it up Thursday. I said I could Wednesday or Friday (1/1). Obviously I’m sure you can guess the day they picked so we will see if it actually arrives tomorrow or not.
Well that’s better news than they are telling me. I got the following text just now...
“Good afternoon - Tesla Cincinnati here - we are seeing logistics delays due to severe weather along our transit routes. We will need to move your pick up pick up appointment back. We do not have a solid ETA yet but as soon as we do, we will reach out to confirm your appointment. So sorry for the delay.”

they automatically changed my appt day and time to Thursday which actually wont work for me either because I’ll be at work. So I will call them and see if they tell me the same thing.

Last edited:
Well that’s better news than they are telling me. I got the following text just now...
“Good afternoon - Tesla Cincinnati here - we are seeing logistics delays due to severe weather along our transit routes. We will need to move your pick up pick up appointment back. We do not have a solid ETA yet but as soon as we do, we will reach out to confirm your appointment. So sorry for the delay.”

they automatically changed my appt day and time to Thursday which actually wont work for me either because I’ll be at work. So I will call them and see if they tell me the same thing.

So sad to hear you are still experiencing delays too. My car is stuck at the railyard in Jersey, since Saturday :(.

That was one of the requirements I wanted my vehicle to have, the new headlights. I wanted to inspect it before final payment. They told me the payment option to pay with a check had changed and I needed to fill out my banking information. I was told if I didn't like the vehicle, they can reverse the charge.

Needless to say, that's the first thing I checked for when I picked up the car. After that, I checked everything else. I'm happy so far!

no pics yet!

Not true on the no check. My bank(CU) doesn't support Plaid so i couldn't do the payment on-line and had to hand them a check. Mine was delivered to my house on 12/18 and gave them a cashiers check from my bank without any issues. So was able to inspect the vehicle before handing over the check.

So now they are telling me the ETA is 12/31 and I’m re-scheduled for 3pm Thursday. Looks like I might be one of the last deliveries of the year lol. *might be is the key phrase. I am having doubts that I’ll see a car this week at all. If I miss out on the free supercharging I’ll probably request a new VIN so I at least get the latest headlights. I’ve already waited this long and I dont need the car immediately anyway. Might as well

I was told if I didn't like the vehicle, they can reverse the charge.
I was told the opposite; that the car would get fixed if it was, or gets damaged before delivery. I'd get that in writing. I insisted on a cashier's check, after reading several members here have done that. Still waiting for an answer on my deal.

... I’ve never heard of test driving the new car you ordered.
I've bought dozens of new cars over the decades, and have NEVER been denied driving it before signing papers. And I've always bought them except twice, when there were obvious issues with those cars... but in both cases, they had another car I ended up buying instead. And it's not an exotic, to demand that. Being electric, where you don't have to worry about redlining a new engine with cold oil, there's much less worry about a few miles on the odo if you don't end up buying it. I'd only put less than 10 miles, just to make sure all is well, like always.

Reactions: Maric
So now they are telling me the ETA is 12/31 and I’m re-scheduled for 3pm Thursday. Looks like I might be one of the last deliveries of the year lol. *might be is the key phrase. I am having doubts that I’ll see a car this week at all. If I miss out on the free supercharging I’ll probably request a new VIN so I at least get the latest headlights. I’ve already waited this long and I dont need the car immediately anyway. Might as well

I was thinking the same exact thing. I don't "need" the new headlights, but if I somehow miss out on Free Super Charging, then I'll just wait for a new VIN (with new headlights and who knows what else by then :) )

Sorry to hear that! They did tell me Over the phone that they were pushing a lot of deliveries this week. I don’t need the car right away either, so that’s why I decided push the limits and call their bluff of a Thursday delivery by saying I would wait until Friday or later if they couldn’t fit me in Wednesday.
With that said, I’ve seen people say that their cars have arrived and Tesla contacting them to come pick up the day it arrives, so we will see if that happens tomorrow and I get my original delivery date. I’m not too concerned with getting the new headlights. So I’m indifferent either way on those.

Sorry to hear that! They did tell me Over the phone that they were pushing a lot of deliveries this week. I don’t need the car right away either, so that’s why I decided push the limits and call their bluff of a Thursday delivery by saying I would wait until Friday or later if they couldn’t fit me in Wednesday.
With that said, I’ve seen people say that their cars have arrived and Tesla contacting them to come pick up the day it arrives, so we will see if that happens tomorrow and I get my original delivery date. I’m not too concerned with getting the new headlights. So I’m indifferent either way on those.
Yeah I do wonder/hope they are just pushing my delivery date back so they can squeeze in others that maybe were delayed over the weekend or something and that they secretly know my car will definitely be ready. Maybe I should go stalk the SC and check all the VINs on the lot, lol.

Yeah I do wonder/hope they are just pushing my delivery date back so they can squeeze in others that maybe were delayed over the weekend or something and that they secretly know my car will definitely be ready. Maybe I should go stalk the SC and check all the VINs on the lot, lol.
I hope for your sake it comes on the truck tomorrow! For some reason, it seems some people are more apt to release information. My SA has been sort of secretive but if I call and get someone else, they never have any issue digging deeper and actually finding meaningful information. It’s odd to me..

• Funny
Reactions: Y@Trox
Not true on the no check. My bank(CU) doesn't support Plaid so i couldn't do the payment on-line and had to hand them a check. Mine was delivered to my house on 12/18 and gave them a cashiers check from my bank without any issues. So was able to inspect the vehicle before handing over the check.

I didnt do any Plaid payment either. Brought a check to my delivery. Easiest vehicle Ive ever purchased.

So, the roller coaster continues...

Spent a good deal of time on the phone with my SA tonight. No clue where my original VIN is (supposedly stuck in NJ), but they received an exact match today to my vehicle and have reassigned me with a new VIN... can now pick up tomorrow. The VIN is a 858 instead of a 859 - so old headlights for me - and it has 4.2 miles on it.

Leaving in the morning for the three-hour trek to meet "Eve" (in the voice of Wall-E). Wish me luck.

Pictures tomorrow night!!!!

Ordered 12/17
VIN Received; Car built Sunday.
Paid by Plaid Sunday, but as of now Tesla hasn't initiated withdrawal.
Appointment initially scheduled for tomorrow in Dublin between 9-6.
Text from Tesla yesterday said not to come until they text me that car has arrived.

No text received yet, so i may or may not be picking up my M3LR tomorrow.

I think Tesla is more interested in selling as many cars this year as they can,, so if they can't, it wouldn't be for lack of trying. But I have to say if they were more organized, they could deliver a lot more. Maybe COVID has something to do with that, but at least where I live, that wasn't the case. Still, having ordered on Dec 14, and taking delivery tomorrow (Dec 29), it's a pretty quick turn-around. But if it wasn't due to their disorganized mess (they're just opening here, so at least a partial excuse), it could have been done on Dec 23. One of the worst car buying experiences for me, but did it for the wife. If it was my car, I'd have sent them to hell long ago.

Checked the car, and it obviously has the famous panel mis-alignments, but nothing worth making a claim. The worst is at the passenger door, where it meets the front fender, where top of door is inward. That one is noticeable, but probably won't mess with it. The taillights also look a bit bad, but they were not made right, so nothing will fix that. Drove it, and it's as noisy as the 2020 we drove, so the double-pane windows did squat. Still have to check that my car has them, but most of the wind noise seems to emanate from the windshield and mirrors/glass. No wind leaks from the windows, thankfully, so no need to mess with the doors. Car felt pretty darty in 'comfort' steering, for some reason, but it's less in sport, so will probably leave it there. Hope the car is reliable, so wife can keep it for 10 years (she said at least. Ha ha). We'll try to do the best for the batteries, so they last the longest possible time. Wonder how many years is the record so far. I know they can last like 150K miles, but in less years. We're not going to drive nearly that much, so time is probably going to kill them first. We'll see :).

Reactions: Slate
Hope the car is reliable, so wife can keep it for 10 years (she said at least. Ha ha). We'll try to do the best for the batteries, so they last the longest possible time. Wonder how many years is the record so far. I know they can last like 150K miles, but in less years. We're not going to drive nearly that much, so time is probably going to kill them first. We'll see :).
I think we're going to see that electric cars have the potential to last a lot longer than ICE cars IMO. Simpler machines, fewer points of failure over time. The problem with Teslas at the moment is that everyone wants the latest and greatest vehicle so they trade in their "old" ones for whatever just came out. There aren't many people driving seriously old Tesla's yet. But, I still think we'll see EVs lasting a very long time. The mechanics are just simpler and there's overall going to be less wear and tear. The main thing that killed most of my cold cars over the years were expensive, complicated parts that wore out and required rebuilding (the carburetor on my 1987 Chevy, the transmission on my 1993 Civic, etc). EVs don't have those super complex mechanical parts to worry about. The computers would be the only thing I worry about. If they are anything like my desktop PCs or Apples, I've never gotten more than 7-8 years out of one of those before it slows down to the point of being terrible or starts getting all sorts of bugs. Hopefully with Tesla constantly upgrading its vehicle software it will keep the actual hardware in tip top shape long enough to keep them on the road, but only time will tell.

The computers would be the only thing I worry about. If they are anything like my desktop PCs or Apples, I've never gotten more than 7-8 years out of one of those before it slows down to the point of being terrible or starts getting all sorts of bugs. Hopefully with Tesla constantly upgrading its vehicle software it will keep the actual hardware in tip top shape long enough to keep them on the road, but only time will tell.

If we weren't updating the software on computers, and just left them "as is" with bug fixes only, in theory they would run just as they did as new until any of their parts fail. though I'm not sure how much (or at all) a person could "elect" to stay on a certain version of the tesla software and apply only bugfixes (like an indefinite term stable release).

Tesla is already offering computer upgrades for the older S/X cars. Time will tell if they maintain that kind of thing going forward so in ten years time old 3s and Ys can just get a new computer that runs better. This is absolutely possible, the MCU only needs to talk to the touchscreen and the hardware in the car, there shouldn't be any reason to prevent a lifelong retrofit schedule if desired. It'll be up to Tesla and how they choose to handle it.

I have far less faith in traditional car manufacturers to do anything like this or even provide longer term system updates at all. Having just put the latest update in my wife's model 3 and getting the new UI, the car feels "new" again like a phone would after getting a UI update. I enjoy this kind of thing and makes long term ownership more interesting. I am skeptical the old guard car makers will do anything beyond bug fixes, but who knows..

I think Tesla is intentionally torturing me...this morning my phone rings and it’s my Service Advisor’s number on caller ID so I get all excited and answer thinking it’s going to be “the call” to go get the car. But nope, it was an automated message reminding me of my appointment for Thursday with no news regarding actual delivery.