Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the suggestion of some of my Tesla driving friends I took a test drive of the MY LR just to come to peace with my decision to buy a M3. My wife and I got in and took it around town for 20 minutes comparing it to what we have been mentally calibrated to after test driving the M3. We both came away confidently that for us the M3 was the right choice. The seating is higher in the MY and the ride was a bit softer but the "joy of driving" factor was higher in the M3. We went back and forth evaluating the seats, visibility, drive handling and in all cases it was either a wash or the M3 was a bit higher scoring. Our final test was a unique situation at the Burbank store. A semi was making deliveries to the Tesla store and had to park in the street right in front. The driver setup cones that blocked part of the driveway into the store and when we came back in driving both the MY and M3 I was surprised at how much easier it was to navigate the M3 vs the bigger MY. So I am done going back and forth on this, I am sticking to my decision to get the M3 and I can sleep better at night.

Now that I finally placed my order, I'm paying closer attention to this thread. For those of you that have been obsessively refreshing your order page on Tesla's site, have you found status updates only happen overnight, or randomly throughout the day?

Has anyone bothered trying to set up a site monitoring script to check periodically? Something like visualping, etc?

Per the suggestion of some of my Tesla driving friends I took a test drive of the MY LR just to come to peace with my decision to buy a M3. My wife and I got in and took it around town for 20 minutes comparing it to what we have been mentally calibrated to after test driving the M3. We both came away confidently that for us the M3 was the right choice. The seating is higher in the MY and the ride was a bit softer but the "joy of driving" factor was higher in the M3. We went back and forth evaluating the seats, visibility, drive handling and in all cases it was either a wash or the M3 was a bit higher scoring. Our final test was a unique situation at the Burbank store. A semi was making deliveries to the Tesla store and had to park in the street right in front. The driver setup cones that blocked part of the driveway into the store and when we came back in driving both the MY and M3 I was surprised at how much easier it was to navigate the M3 vs the bigger MY. So I am done going back and forth on this, I am sticking to my decision to get the M3 and I can sleep better at night.
Interesting take on the soft ride of the MY. For me, I felt every bump with the MY when I test drove it. Even my gf, who loves SUVs, didn’t like it. M3 was fun to drive and I just felt comfortable with it.

lol blows my mind that people get VINs the same day they order when they want the car months from now but all of us ordered months ago and still don’t have jack lmao cmon tesla.
Sorry! I feel badly this happened to me considering how long some of you have been waiting. However, the universe owes me one for some major stuff in the last year.

Reactions: goldenstate01
Now that I finally placed my order, I'm paying closer attention to this thread. For those of you that have been obsessively refreshing your order page on Tesla's site, have you found status updates only happen overnight, or randomly throughout the day?

Has anyone bothered trying to set up a site monitoring script to check periodically? Something like visualping, etc?
Mine have been spread throughout the day, the most sane thing todo is to wait for Tesla to email you asking for final payment. Now let me go back to my account page and refresh :D

How long after you got your vin did you get your delivery day set?
i created a visualization of data by state to answer this question if you are interested.

Tableau Public

Avg days from VIN to delivery in Oklahoma is 18 days. It's different around the country.

I added more details about this viz in the statistics thread. the viz auto updates each day and can be filtered by vehicle options.

Last edited:
My SA said I should expect a text this week from the delivery team. I am taking it with a grain of salt as I do not have a VIN yet and I am in California. I live about 15 minutes from the factory. I get the whole setup but I still find it very hard I have been waiting 2 months for a car that is produced so close to my home.

My SA said I should expect a text this week from the delivery team. I am taking it with a grain of salt as I do not have a VIN yet and I am in California. I live about 15 minutes from the factory. I get the whole setup but I still find it very hard I have been waiting 2 months for a car that is produced so close to my home.
They might be a right. I can ask my SA but I’ve been bugging her too much haha. Someone from New Mexico got a VIN up above. I think we are next! End of week at least! And maybe deliveries will start next week.

I get the whole setup but I still find it very hard I have been waiting 2 months for a car that is produced so close to my home.
I'm glad this forum was able to help me set those expectations from the start or else I'd be going a lot more crazy by now! The other strange part is that when I ordered my SA told me I'd be getting home delivery despite there being a Sunnyvale location very nearby, not to mention Fremont. I was told my only options for pickup would be even farther away, but that was in the first week of Feb so I'm curios what will change when VINs start appearing.

I'm glad this forum was able to help me set those expectations from the start or else I'd be going a lot more crazy by now! The other strange part is that when I ordered my SA told me I'd be getting home delivery despite there being a Sunnyvale location very nearby, not to mention Fremont. I was told my only options for pickup would be even farther away, but that was in the first week of Feb so I'm curios what will change when VINs start appearing.
Very interesting. My SA from the beginning said my only option was Fremont pickup. I prefer it anyway, as there is something pretty cool about direct from the line to in your hands. I hope the mileage says under 5 lol.

When I chatted with my sales agent yesterday after test driving the Y I asked if there was data they had on the estimate and they hinted that the last week of March is what I should expect. They confirmed that the two week shutdown due to parts shortages set them back but that they are working as fast as they can to catch up. That left me with a bad taste in my mouth as I would rather they didn't rush or cut corners on my car. From what I hear the quality control has been very good lately and I hope they keep it up even when rushed.