Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Intel Atom E3950 (2016) MSRP is $57 while a Ryzen 2400G (2018) MSRP is $150. One was built for cheap Windows tablets/netbooks, while the other is for extreme budget gaming PCs. While the performance difference is already pretty glaring, just wait a few years. As an owner that has gone through the MCU1 debacle, trust me.
Are we sure that these are the chips that are currently used in the Model 3. If yes, then because of supply chain issues I assume, the Intel chip is right now more expensive:

Capture.JPG

Just a Fun Post

- Mixing Driving and Netflix kinda deadly mix (and we are discussing freaking performance of a infotainment chip) NOT important

Stay safe!

Also, If you are getting the TESLA, get it for the TORQUE not browsing.. that what IPADs for ;)

This is just to keep it real!
Agree and I do not intend to watch Netflix in my M3, however, the AMD overall performance score is much improved compared to the Intel chip according to the below benchmarks. So the AMD is more future-proof for apps coming onto the system and hence, I do not blame people who can wait and put their orders on hold. In my case I will not put a hold and just take the car and enjoy it but I still understand people who want the AMD chip.

Capture.JPG

Just a Fun Post

- Mixing Driving and Netflix kinda deadly mix (and we are discussing freaking performance of a infotainment chip) NOT important

Stay safe!

Also, If you are getting the TESLA, get it for the TORQUE not browsing.. that what IPADs for ;)

This is just to keep it real!
I’m in your camp.

I agree that delaying the delivery in December until January for a possible $8,000 tax credit was a no brainer trade off but I haven’t seen how the AMD chip would make life/ownership any better? I guess I’d rather wait an extra 12 seconds to launch Cuphead the couple times I’m waiting at a Supercharger with nothing else to do than wait 3 more months to smash the accelerator.

I think the double pane rear windows are probably a much more significant upgrade than the infotainment chip. I’ve read that the front ones improved ride quality/noise so getting that glass front and back is probably a major improvement you would reap the rewards and enjoyment of passively every mile you put on it, versus every hour you browse Netflix

Agree and I do not intend to watch Netflix in my M3, however, the AMD overall performance score is much improved compared to the Intel chip according to the below benchmarks. So the AMD is more future-proof for apps coming onto the system and hence, I do not blame people who can wait and put their orders on hold. In my case I will not put a hold and just take the car and enjoy it but I still understand people who want the AMD chip.

View attachment 754707
When you say “future proof” what do you mean? How long do you plan to keep this car for? In three or four years from now the whole experience will be obsolete and the 2025 Model whatever will be screaming for you trade in and upgrade too. I can’t image a relatively early Tesla adopter planning on driving the car into the ground. It’s just todays transportation, how many of you people are still rocking an iPhone 3g?

Delivery date changed slightly from 1/18-1/31 to 1/20 to 1/26. OOD - 12/18
Good to see deliveries being made to Denver! Your delivery leapfrogged over several of us who ordered before you but still have no VIN or Delivery Date. What's the difference? <scratching head> Color? Wheels? Seats? Luck of the draw? I'm just thankful that they have enough drivers to deliver the cars and enough people to handle the paperwork. There are so many worker shortages, like electricians. I can't even get an estimate for a 14-50 circuit.
M3 Blue/White/19" No FSD
OD: 12/10
EDD: 2/22-3/22

When you say “future proof” what do you mean? How long do you plan to keep this car for? In three or four years from now the whole experience will be obsolete and the 2025 Model whatever will be screaming for you trade in and upgrade too. I can’t image a relatively early Tesla adopter planning on driving the car into the ground. It’s just todays transportation, how many of you people are still rocking an iPhone 3g?
Theres quite a difference between a car thats 13 years old and a phone. The car will still get you from A to B, which is the main feature of buying one lol. Having the latest chip will help your car from being deprecated in software updates for a longer time than keeping the same chip thats been in the cars for the past several years.

Good to see deliveries being made to Denver! Your delivery leapfrogged over several of us who ordered before you but still have no VIN or Delivery Date. What's the difference? <scratching head> Color? Wheels? Seats? Luck of the draw? I'm just thankful that they have enough drivers to deliver the cars and enough people to handle the paperwork. There are so many worker shortages, like electricians. I can't even get an estimate for a 14-50 circuit.
M3 Blue/White/19" No FSD
OD: 12/10
EDD: 2/22-3/22
Yeah after reading this post.. i am so foolishly hopeful... been hitting refresh on mytesla count LOL

BTW I already got the wall charger mounted BUT not car yet!

Theres quite a difference between a car thats 13 years old and a phone. The car will still get you from A to B, which is the main feature of buying one lol. Having the latest chip will help your car from being deprecated in software updates for a longer time than keeping the same chip thats been in the cars for the past several years.
So you agree that a car is a multi year investment. Yet you're worrying about a feature that will probably be outdated in less than 6 months.

Reactions: KN0607
I think you can still make phone calls on an iPhone 3g. 😀 You can even send texts and emails. Basically it gets you from A-B. But if you want To shoot 4K HD movies on your phone you’re gonna need to upgrade.

Whatever chip you get today, or 3 months from now is going to be relatively obsolete in 5 years anywa and the Tesla cars from 5 years from now are going to be magnitudes greater in feature, design and tech. And they will have newer better chips that might support features todays AMD or Intel can’t.

I don’t want a 2014 Tesla today anymore than I will want to be driving my 2022 Tesla in 2030. Think about it, the “future proof” argument is ridiculous.

Reactions: fcM3 and gvme
Everybody has their own circumstances and priorities, hence, I do not think that in this forum we can or should convince people one way or the other. Some are fine with the current (old) chip, some are not, and some are indifferent. So right now there is an opportunity for those who can put a hold on their deliveries to get the new chip. If you are in that camp, go for it. Some want the car ASAP regardless of the chip, so go for it. No need to argue IMO.

Everybody has their own circumstances and priorities, hence, I do not think that in this forum we can or should convince people one way or the other. Some are fine with the current (old) chip, some are not, and some are indifferent. So right now there is an opportunity for those who can put a hold on their deliveries to get the new chip. If you are in that camp, go for it. Some want the car ASAP regardless of the chip, so go for it. No need to argue IMO.

(moderator note)

I happen to agree with this 100% (that this type of thing is personal choice, and there is no reason for anyone to try to "convince" others about their stance on the usefulness, or lack of, this or any other upgrade).

While discussion of whether the cars have a particular upgrade or other is on topic of a waiting room thread, why someone wants or doesnt care about any of these upgrades is not.

I would invite people wanting to have that particular discussion to have it in the thread for model year 2022 changes:

By "invite" I mean "move any discussion related to need or lack of need of these features to that thread or start another one on that topic". Posts made on the topic of need / not need, after this post, will be moved to another thread.

Thanks

I think you can still make phone calls on an iPhone 3g. 😀 You can even send texts and emails. Basically it gets you from A-B. But if you want To shoot 4K HD movies on your phone you’re gonna need to upgrade.

Whatever chip you get today, or 3 months from now is going to be relatively obsolete in 5 years anywa and the Tesla cars from 5 years from now are going to be magnitudes greater in feature, design and tech. And they will have newer better chips that might support features todays AMD or Intel can’t.

I don’t want a 2014 Tesla today anymore than I will want to be driving my 2022 Tesla in 2030. Think about it, the “future proof” argument is ridiculous.
The iPhone 3G is so slow its almost inoperable and it hasnt been updated since iOS 4 from 12 years ago. Not to mention the 3G network is being shut down in a month by ATT, so the phone will be actually useless shortly.

Yes Teslas in 5 years will be way more advanced, but Tesla provides continuing updates to older vehicles and that occasionally means some features get held back if your hardware cannot support it. Take the v11 features released last month that skimped out on some features for the legacy S/X depending on whether you had the Intel Processor or not.

Hoping to get a newer chip isnt that outlandish of a thought if you're intent on keeping this vehicle for a while, especially at the cost.