Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I am considering doing a loan through DCU, considering the timing and updates, should I start on the application process soon? I have my payment method set as cash as the SA had recommended (since I wasn't sure at the time what I wanted to do), but also seeing the potential for delays (especially for the blue exterior), I also don't want to get an approval too early on and have it expire (and redo the app/get another credit pull) if the EDD gets pushed back. Any advice (or DCU referrals) would be appreciated!
Be aware their approvals are only good for 45 days after application unlike most banks which are 60.

New member and first time posting here, adding my data points to help others build timelines when ordering. And thanks to @justintime4rce for the format idea below:

Order Date: Jan 22, 2022
Config: M3 LR Red/Black/Sport Wheels, no FSD at this time (see comments below)
Original EDD at order: Mar 25 - Jun 22
EDD 1 (updated ~Jan 26): Feb 16 - Mar 16

FSD - I will get familiar with the current features first before I start with FSD. Once comfortable, I will do a monthly subscription test for a couple of months.
  • Usage - I wouldn't need to use this as often because I don't commute much. I put <200 miles a month on my previous car.
  • Cost - While cost is a factor but isn't, the ROI based on usage can't justify the initial purchase.

First time posting here, thought I'd add my data points!

Order Date: 12/30/21
Config: M3 LR Blue/Black/Aero Wheels, no FSD
Original EDD at order: March 2022
EDD 1 (updated 1/1/22): 2/12 - 3/12
EDD 2 (updated 2/13/22): 2/18 - 3/4

Still no VIN assigned, checking (multiple times per day) on both mobile and account page (w/ Chrome extension). The anticipation is killing me, I honestly haven't felt this excited considering this is my first new car and seeing all the recent graduates from this forum 😁

One interesting thing that happened though was that I got the trade-in text on 2/4, I guess how it was worded didn't warrant a response so I didn't reply. I got a voicemail from Tesla on 2/15 saying that they needed "additional information", called them back and guess it was just them trying to reach out to me about the trade-in, which I confirmed with them that I don't. They said other than that "everything should be set" but that "they have no further information" on the dates.

Since I am considering doing a loan through DCU, considering the timing and updates, should I start on the application process soon? I have my payment method set as cash as the SA had recommended (since I wasn't sure at the time what I wanted to do), but also seeing the potential for delays (especially for the blue exterior), I also don't want to get an approval too early on and have it expire (and redo the app/get another credit pull) if the EDD gets pushed back. Any advice (or DCU referrals) would be appreciated!
Things I have seen on Youtube (I have seen several and subscribed):
  • Updates for VINs and related EDD happen x2 a day - 6 am & 6 pm ET
    • Don't be surprised if they change VINs either
  • Trade-in texts appear to be automatic as a reminder
  • Calls about additional information may be related to the incomplete account setup (address, DL, etc.) Make sure you have this updated well in advance. This may include financing validation, but don't give out any personal data.
  • Make sure your loan approval is completed about 2-3 weeks prior to delivery. This may be hard, but most banks/CU have a 60 days approval, which if you don't use - you may have to reapply.

Be aware their approvals are only good for 45 days after application unlike most banks which are 60.

Several banks and credit unions only give you 30 days before you need to re-apply, and others that are longer may still only lock in your current rate for 30 days. Fortunately, my c.u. only made a soft hit on my credit report, so I expect to apply again next month...if necessary.

As to the third-party loan process, my experience has been stressful but thankfully quick, as I only applied for the loan on Sat. 2/12 (after having received my VIN on 2/11) with a delivery date looming several days later. Probably could/should have applied earlier, but I was wary of my EDD shifting out beyond the 45 (or whatever) days since I had a credit pull in Dec. for a refinance. I followed up a lot on the phone with my lender to ensure everything was moving along briskly; the check for the balance of my car was just (like, an hour ago) delivered to Tesla in Calif. in advance of my car's scheduled delivery tomorrow morning. I was worried about the money arriving in time, so did at least confirm with my local Tesla service center this morning that I could still get the car if I had a tracking number for and images of the check.

And it begins again. Made the switch to Aero wheels last night and got a new EDD this morning of 2/17-3/17. Not as bad as I was expecting.
EDD just updated today to 2/18-3/4

M3LR / MSM / Black / Aero / No-FSD / Fremont
OD: 1/13
EDD #1 (1/13): 3/10-3/31
EDD #2 (1/19): 2/10-3/10
EDD #3 (2/4): 2/7-2/21
(2/7) changed config to aero wheels instead of 19”
EDD #4 (2/8): 2/17-3/17
EDD #5 (2/16): 2/18-3/4

M3LR / MSM / Black / Aero / No FSD
OD - 1/29 (Completed all tasks immediately, including trade in info)
EDD1 - March 2022
EDD2 - 3/6 - 3/31
There have been no updates to my EDD since 15 days, no VIN in the source, no messages from Tesla.

Happy to see a lot of you receiving VINs and scheduling delivery in the last week or so, fingers crossed I see an update sometime soon.

Reactions: Mustangr
Had my pickup scheduled for today. I talked to the SA yesterday and he said the car came in Sunday and they'd get it ready for my pickup today. I told him it's a 2.5 hour drive one way so please call me if anything comes up. My wife and I each took a day off work for this appointment. I heard nothing so this morning we drove there for our 10am pickup appointment and the SA showed me a picture of the glass roof gap. He said I can't take the car as the roof could blow off on the highway. He's waiting to hear back from the tech that can do the work, however long it takes for him to fix it, then a few hours to dry but we probably wouldn't have it today and we should come back tomorrow.

I debated getting a hotel room for the night but was completely unprepared (didn't have my work laptop, charger, clothes) so we just drove home. Just got home an hour ago and he texts saying it's ready now and asked me to pick it. Like I can just walk across the street to get this car. This is frustrating. I just wish they could have checked it out and called me before we made the long drive. We wasted so much time today.

Last edited:
Had my pickup scheduled for today. I talked to the SA yesterday and he said the car came in Sunday and they'd get it ready for my pickup today. I told him it's a 2.5 hour drive one way so please call me if anything comes up. My wife and I each took a day off work for this appointment. I heard nothing so this morning we drove there for our 10am pickup appointment and the SA showed me a picture of the glass roof gap. He said I can't take the car as the roof could blow off on the highway. He's waiting to hear back from the tech that can do the work, however long it takes for him to fix it, then a few hours to dry but we probably wouldn't have it today and we should come back tomorrow.

I debated getting a hotel room for the night but was completely unprepared (didn't have my work laptop, charger, clothes) so we just drove home. Just got home an hour ago and he texts saying it's ready now and asked me to pick it. Like I can just walk across the street to get this car. This is frustrating. I just wish they could have checked it out and called me before we made the long drive. We wasted so much time today.
Sorry to hear :( Really bad/no communication practice from Tesla

Wow, really poor on them but not surprised sadly. Had a similar experience with Ducati a couple of years ago. I was livid.
I would call and see if they can deliver it to you since they are the ones that screwed up unless you really want to get it in person...

Reactions: Canine06