Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on everything I'm reading here, and hearing from other people first hand, I think Tesla has its corporate head firmly up its corporate a**. I honestly think they do this intentionally to gin up "excitement". I can tell them that in my case, it's doing exactly the opposite. If you don't know when I'm going to get my car, just f*cking well come out and SAY you don't know when I'm going to get my car. Don't lead me on and LIE to me about it many times over. If this keeps up, I'm going to cancel my order and get the Kia EV6 when it comes out. I'm not married to Elon, and he needs to know that. This is beyond ridiculous.
Being a little bit dramatic don't you think? You've been waiting less than a month at this point. I just got my vin assigned and my 1 week window edd is pretty accurate to my original edd. Could they have better communication? Absolutely! I wouldn't say they're lying to you though

Based on everything I'm reading here, and hearing from other people first hand, I think Tesla has its corporate head firmly up its corporate a**. I honestly think they do this intentionally to gin up "excitement".
They don't need to "gin up "excitement", but they always seem to be scrambling and disorganized. It doesn't help when people delay and change orders. Communication is one of Tesla's weak points.

Based on everything I'm reading here, and hearing from other people first hand, I think Tesla has its corporate head firmly up its corporate a**. I honestly think they do this intentionally to gin up "excitement". I can tell them that in my case, it's doing exactly the opposite. If you don't know when I'm going to get my car, just f*cking well come out and SAY you don't know when I'm going to get my car. Don't lead me on and LIE to me about it many times over. If this keeps up, I'm going to cancel my order and get the Kia EV6 when it comes out. I'm not married to Elon, and he needs to know that. This is beyond ridiculous.
Man you're just a negative Nancy about everything Tesla aren't you? Maybe you should get the Kia because I am willing to bet you'll have a lot more negative things when you actually get it.

While we wait for our cars I wanted to start a chat about Window Tint and PPF!

My plan is to do full front PPF in 8mm it’s gonna run me around $1800.

Tint wise I’m gonna go with Xpel XR+ but my big debate is how dark do I go. My gut reaction is 20% on all side windows. The back window is my major question… since the top section of it is tinted within the glass do you guys think I should go 20% and keep it consistent or go to 35% for more visibility and not making that top already tinted section so dark.

Additionally for anyone who knows a lot about tint in here… is 35% dark enough on the front or should I just dip under legal a tiny bit and do 20%.

Cheers All it’s the end of the quarter push. I’m hoping a lot of us are graduating here soon!

M3LR - White/Black/18/noFSD
OD: 2/3
EDD#1: 2/25-3/25
Scottsdale, AZ

Good grief. If you're that upset then get the Kia. Tesla has so many amazing things to offer, and a few negatives that you have to live with. If you can't see the positives, then you aren't going to enjoy the car. Just my two cents

I'm noticing a lot of anxiety around variable VIN assignment dates & Estimated Delivery Dates.

Keep a few things in mind:

1. Distance from Fremont & Supply Chain are a factor in EDD and when they will ship vehicles.
  2. Paint Color & Interior Color probably matter even though it isn't reflected in EDD, but it's a guess
  3. The region where you place an order probably matters. An area with a high volume of orders will likely result in a higher number of rejections/holds and therefore result in some individuals receiving VINs early
  4. The data in this forum is noisy and the sampling is minimal. While it's interesting, it's lacking in meaningful numbers. At scale, we're probably missing some things.
  5. Tesla is still a start-up by many standards and are not a mature at-scale manufacturer. Their supply chain and volumes are simply not predictable enough.
    1. IMO, they shouldn't be trying to predict dates like they are. They just aren't there yet from an data engineering perspective.
    2. If you're ordering from Tesla, you probably shouldn't do it on the basis of a normal car buying experience. This reminds of Apple in the early days. You are buying an addicting, yet flawed, experience. :D

Last edited:
I understand the frustration but if you didn’t know this was what you were getting yourself into you did little to no research.

Also Tesla hasn’t told any LIES. It says estimated delivery date for a reason.

Trust me I get it. It sucks waiting around not having a finite answer.

However if your ranting in an online forum about waiting for a Tesla for 30 days when people have been waiting since November you should probably roll with the Kia.

I wish you the best of luck if you choose to stick with Tesla. I’m out here in AZ aswell keeping my fingers crossed everyday for all of us to get them soon.

Not everyone enjoys the “fun” of a missed deadline.
If someone orders a widget, and is told that it will be delivered within a certain period, they should deliver it in that period. If they start delivering that widget to a bunch of people who ordered it after you, disappointment is completely understandable.
If that delivery period then elapses and you still didn’t get yours? that’s pretty messed up, and it is something we are seeing over and over again in this thread.

I agree that this is a situation that is extremely frustrating, some people are just more likely to vocalize their frustrations.

Also: Tesla has been delivering cars for a decade now, and has passed a million cars delivered. I would say they aren’t really a startup any more.

Couple questions prior to my M3LR pickup in 2 days

1. In the Tesla app, I have the first two tasks done (the scheduling and the Tesla insurance). The rest of the options still aren't available for me to complete (final payment, agreement, accept). Im supposed to pick up the car on Thursday - when am I typically able to get the payment done?

2. I am trading in a car. When I drop it off, do they inspect the entirety of the car that will take a while or is it sort of just a quick once over since it was already approved for trade in? And is it necessary for me to vacuum from top to bottom and clean it completely?

Thanks!

Also: Tesla has been delivering cars for a decade now, and has passed a million cars delivered. I would say they aren’t really a startup any more.
They are still growing like one, and introducing innovations like one. Plus 10 years of production is a startup compared to other auto OEMs, and they still manage to screw things up after 100 years in the business.

Tint wise I’m gonna go with Xpel XR+ but my big debate is how dark do I go. My gut reaction is 20% on all side windows. The back window is my major question… since the top section of it is tinted within the glass do you guys think I should go 20% and keep it consistent or go to 35% for more visibility and not making that top already tinted section so dark.

Additionally for anyone who knows a lot about tint in here… is 35% dark enough on the front or should I just dip under legal a tiny bit and do 20%.
PPF and tint will be the top of my to-do list once I get my car as well. In terms of how dark, mostly a preference thing. I did 18% on all windows (except windshield - 70%) on my last 2 Model 3s and I really liked it. 35% isn't dark enough for my taste. But I think it will look fine either way for the back window as long as you do the whole window and not just half where you will see the line.

Couple questions prior to my M3LR pickup in 2 days

1. In the Tesla app, I have the first two tasks done (the scheduling and the Tesla insurance). The rest of the options still aren't available for me to complete (final payment, agreement, accept). Im supposed to pick up the car on Thursday - when am I typically able to get the payment done?

2. I am trading in a car. When I drop it off, do they inspect the entirety of the car that will take a while or is it sort of just a quick once over since it was already approved for trade in? And is it necessary for me to vacuum from top to bottom and clean it completely?

Thanks!

1. I got my car last week but am totally blanking on the timing here! I'm pretty sure I was able to pay for my portion of the car's cost a couple or three days from delivery, so given you're within that window, I'd suggest you use the Tesla web-chat feature to talk to an agent and see if they can move things along.

2. The guy only made note of the final mileage before he drove off (my local service center only does home delivery). He didn't really look at the car at all that I could see (I was admittedly a bit distracted looking at my new car 😉). I'd originally planned to at least run my old car through a car wash before my delivery date so it didn't look so dusty, but in the end I decided to save myself the cost and hassle.

Cheers All it’s the end of the quarter push. I’m hoping a lot of us are graduating here soon!

M3LR - White/Black/18/noFSD
OD: 2/3
EDD#1: 2/25-3/25
Scottsdale, AZ

I find 35% (legal and good visibility) is fine for both and personally I don't like when front and back windows don't match...
There must be some "famous" people on this forum having to hide. LOL

I find 35% (legal and good visibility) is fine for both and personally I don't like when front and back windows don't match...
There must be some "famous" people on this forum having to hide. LOL
Lol I am a Film and TV Producer. But by no means famous or recognizable haha.

I totally agree though I don’t like the front being different than the back.

So it’s either 20% or 35% all the way around. I’m wondering if you could tell the difference on the main back window since it’s already mostly tinted except for the very bottom.

Obsessively checked again today and it narrowed down again to Feb 21 to Feb 25. That's just when I'll be out of town, but possibly back on the 25th. Hope it's not an issue.

Delivery scheduled!

OD: 12/22/21
EDD: Jan 29-Feb 29
EDD: Dec 29-31
Dec 28: reversed my ACH cash payment, released VIN and placed order on Hold
Jan 26: released Hold
Jan 27 EDD: Feb 4-Mar 4
Feb 4 EDD: Feb 8-Feb 22
Feb 9 EDD: Feb 10-24
Feb 11 EDD: Feb 15-Mar 15
Feb 13 EDD: Feb 15- Mar 1
Feb 16 EDD: Feb 17-Feb 28
Feb 17: VIN assigned. 178XXX; new EDD is Feb 17-22
Feb 18: Delivery scheduled for Feb 21 (21st was my choice ... could have been 1-2 days sooner)

M3LR/White/Black/18” Aero/no FSD. Live in the Bay Area, just up the road from Palo Alto.
Delivery scheduled!

OD: 12/22/21
EDD: Jan 29-Feb 29
EDD: Dec 29-31
Dec 28: reversed my ACH cash payment, released VIN and placed order on Hold
Jan 26: released Hold
Jan 27 EDD: Feb 4-Mar 4
Feb 4 EDD: Feb 8-Feb 22
Feb 9 EDD: Feb 10-24
Feb 11 EDD: Feb 15-Mar 15
Feb 13 EDD: Feb 15- Mar 1
Feb 16 EDD: Feb 17-Feb 28
Feb 17: VIN assigned. 178XXX; new EDD is Feb 17-22
Feb 18: Delivery scheduled for Feb 21 (21st was my choice ... could have been 1-2 days sooner)

M3LR/White/Black/18” Aero/no FSD. Live in the Bay Area, just up the road from Palo Alto.

View attachment 772569

They fixed my seatbelt and gave me a toy
👍

Reactions: disneygirl420
Lol I am a Film and TV Producer. But by no means famous or recognizable haha.

I totally agree though I don’t like the front being different than the back.

So it’s either 20% or 35% all the way around. I’m wondering if you could tell the difference on the main back window since it’s already mostly tinted except for the very bottom.

If I was a film and tv producer I assure you I'd have an assistant doing this "Tesla stuff" for me. 😅

Its kind of why I wish we had retracting black liner like my BMW. My side tint was SOOO much darker when I closed the moon roof/blind. With all the light coming thru the roof glass it is very hard to "hide behind the tint".