Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You ever think that when you open the app and it's taking a little long to load that TODAY MIGHT BE THE DAY and then it isn't? Cause same.

I sold my 2019 Honda Civic hatchback to Carmax for a little over the original purchase price with 18k miles on it... Basically got $8k worth of car payments back which is now the down payment for my first Tessie!!! 🥹😆
...only thing now is that I applied for the loan on 2/26 when it was getting close, so I'm getting nervous that my approval will expire and I'll have to do it again :/

M3LR | Blue | 18" Aero | black int | no FSD | Seattle, WA
OD: 1/17, Modded from RWD to AWD on 1/27
EDD 1: June, EDD 2: 3/12-3/31, EDD 3: 4/17-5/15

How could they even possibly begin to figure out if someone is more likely than another to accept the car? Unless they've already bought a Tesla or two then it may be feasible. As far as building the car goes, yeah we know that they need to get parts so that they can assemble them. The thing is in most other areas of consumables a delivery date usually gets pushed back due to delays or what have you. Rarely does it move up but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Now with Tesla it bounces back and forth like a pinball with no rhyme or reason. They have been like this since before supply chain issues. I feel like somewhere they are playing bingo with reservation numbers and that's the luck of the draw.

Given the way Tesla works and thinks, I bet they have a significant machine learning and optimization department, like Amazon, taking in input data and cost and parts information and running large scale computational jobs for estimating how production should be run and hence deliveries. This is a significant reason Amazon is so profitable and it's probably a reason Tesla has such a high per-unit profit margin for an all electric car, likely far higher than everyone else except Porsche Taycan whose selling price is 2x-3x Tesla's without 2x-3x higher input costs.

The downside is that results of computational optimization solutions for the future may often change significantly with small changes in input data, and as a result the dates given to customers fluctuate for no obvious reason: because predictability of customer order to delivery date is not a criterion in the optimization function. The simplest baseline strategy is pure FIFO, which probably has the most predictability but is less efficient economically.

It's understandable that folks here are eager to get their cars and are checking the app many more times than needed. But to build a car, it's like solving a gigantic logistical puzzle. All parts need to arrive just in time to get installed and then the car needs to get delivered to its destination. While traditional manufacturers can easily ship hundreds of cars to a rough destination and move cars around between dealers in that area, Tesla doesn't have that luxury.
So my guess is, that in addition to whatever parts they're getting right now plus the destination of the car and possibly the available volume for transporting it plays into the mix, so some cars might get prioritized even if further behind in the queue.
I would also not be shocked if Tesla utilizes other services to identify ratings of their customers who place orders, similar to almost any service these days. Not necessarily credit worthiness, but I'm sure they are working on ways to predict how likely a customer is going to accept the car.
Now throw this all into a mix and some folks might get their car sooner than others.
But since we'll never know what goes into that, we can just keep guessing hoping our car is next :)
We get that but my thing is stop making empty promises. You have a non refundable (the only one I'm aware of) order fee - won't even call it a deposit - and tell someone March and yet they don't get their car until July or August. That's not cool, situations can change over the course of 5 months...interest rates change and so does peoples situations and needs so to hold someones deposit hostage and basically say you'll get it when you get it isn't cool in my eyes. Underpromise and overdeliver is the key here that they seem to be missing. Don't tell me March when you know damn well you're not capable of hitting that goal. If they had just said August from the beginning then that's what the expectation would be and if it came sooner it'd be a pleasant surprise.

Config:
- M3LR AWD
- MSM
- Black Interior
- 18" Aero Wheels
- No FSD

OD: 03/09/2022
Site at ordering: April
EDD #1 June 15 - July 29
EDD #2 May 15 - June 29

Secured auto financing with a great rate, locked for 90 days. Hope vehicle comes before financing offer expires....we will see.

OD: 2/28 EDD May / June
M3LR/MSM/Black/18”/No FSD
Knoxville, TN

VIN 12 days later
Delivered at store 3/25 - Lower body damage (panel to be replaced)
Denied by wife
Son ordered same exact package two weeks after us.
Rep moved the VIN over to him and took possession next day.
We are back in queue for an April 29/June EDD.
Hoping for the same luck.
Son owes us BIG TIME!

Similar success for my friend's M3:

OD: 2/13 EDD May / June
M3LR/Red/White/19”/No FSD
Knoxville, TN

VIN 14 days later
Delivered at store 3/19 - No issues

BTW, does the start of a new quarter really mean production output is pulled back or is Tesla still running 24/7?

We get that but my thing is stop making empty promises. You have a non refundable (the only one I'm aware of) order fee - won't even call it a deposit - and tell someone March and yet they don't get their car until July or August. That's not cool, situations can change over the course of 5 months...interest rates change and so does peoples situations and needs so to hold someones deposit hostage and basically say you'll get it when you get it isn't cool in my eyes. Underpromise and overdeliver is the key here that they seem to be missing. Don't tell me March when you know damn well you're not capable of hitting that goal. If they had just said August from the beginning then that's what the expectation would be and if it came sooner it'd be a pleasant surprise.
Given the current state of world it’s remarkable they’re shipping at the current rate. Look at most other manufacturers not producing any cars.
Generally I agree with you, but isn’t that also just a by product of a tech company to overpromise?

Reactions: JB47394
Whoops, accidently changed the quoted part or opasenBG's post. Here's what I wrote:

So I might be wrong about this, but I believe EU regulations require separate amber/red turn signals and brake lights. The fact that this is not required in North America, but Tesla doesn't just standardize the fleet with the separate lights is super frustrating to me. I find it safer, and the implementation on the European cars is slick! Just do all the cars like that! I know that's just my opinion, but it seems that less ambiguity with our 2000 pound rockets would be a beneficial feature to have on the roads. (ie: is that car braking, turning, blinking their hazards, or just pumping the brakes. No way to know with integrated turn signal brake lights.)
I am a long time VW owner and they used to have the same implementation in North America too but switched maybe 10 years 15 years ago? Frustrated me a lot, I like the separate brake light / turn signal for just that reason and it seems safer when you remove that ambiguity. But what do I know 🤷‍♀️

Whoops, accidently changed the quoted part or opasenBG's post. Here's what I wrote:

So I might be wrong about this, but I believe EU regulations require separate amber/red turn signals and brake lights. The fact that this is not required in North America, but Tesla doesn't just standardize the fleet with the separate lights is super frustrating to me. I find it safer, and the implementation on the European cars is slick! Just do all the cars like that! I know that's just my opinion, but it seems that less ambiguity with our 2000 pound rockets would be a beneficial feature to have on the roads. (ie: is that car braking, turning, blinking their hazards, or just pumping the brakes. No way to know with integrated turn signal brake lights.)
You're absolutely correct. In EU all cars must have yellow/amber turn signal in rear(I'm from EU). I was hoping the M3 would also come with amber signals as does the MY but unfortunately it does not. It actually looks better with amber lights IMO.

100% this.

What’s even worse is the model Y tails are already universal/global with the big “C” as the brake lamp and the center “—“ as an amber turn signal which is brighter and easier to see than the model 3 tail lamp. And model Y tail lights are physically a direct swap onto the model 3. AND the later builds of model 3 is already pre-wired for separate turn signals, just programmed differently in software.

So instead of using the model Y tail lamps across the board globally in US and abroad and just having one variation, they have 3 outer tail lamp variations and 4 inner tail lamp variations globally for 3/Y. Shouldn’t it be cheaper and logistically easier to have less variations?

Giga Shanghai is already using model Y tails on the 3. Not sure why Fremont is not. Maybe there will be a change over for Q2 ‘22 and on production to use the model Y tail lamps on the 3….. 🤞🏼

Reactions: Maric and figs45
Sadly it’s well known that Tesla’s default mode of operation is and has been to overpromise and underdeliver instead of the other way around.

Reactions: Gutta420
You ever think that when you open the app and it's taking a little long to load that TODAY MIGHT BE THE DAY and then it isn't? Cause same.

I sold my 2019 Honda Civic hatchback to Carmax for a little over the original purchase price with 18k miles on it... Basically got $8k worth of car payments back which is now the down payment for my first Tessie!!! 🥹😆
...only thing now is that I applied for the loan on 2/26 when it was getting close, so I'm getting nervous that my approval will expire and I'll have to do it again :/

M3LR | Blue | 18" Aero | black int | no FSD | Seattle, WA
OD: 1/17, Modded from RWD to AWD on 1/27
EDD 1: June, EDD 2: 3/12-3/31, EDD 3: 4/17-5/15
That’s so weird that you ordered in Jan and had an initial EDD of “June” but I ordered March and had an initial EDD of “May”. Also in Seattle. 🤨

Wow WTF? Did they give you a reason for suddenly pushing you back 1-2 months when it seemed like it was almost ready for delivery?
No, I originally texted SA back in Feb asking why it was a may-june EDD when website showed April. They responded then saying everything looks good & they see on their end they were expecting delivery in March. Then I later texted them after the EDD changed from March to April-may & all they said was that’s the updated EDD they were now showing on their end. So the fun continues….

I finally picked up my Model 3 LR. White/Black/18 noFSD / Chicago
I waited ...

159 days :p

Thank you guys and good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 81