Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Focus on the price of the vehicle. Everyone complaining of delays has a fairly low-margin vehicle configuration. I didn't look hard, but I was checking to see if it was related to 19" wheels. The disappointment being voiced was coming from people with Aero wheels while @Tyler Knepper has mentioned that his EDD has been consistently pushed up, and he has the 19" wheels. Is Tesla supply-limited for 18" wheels? It may also be that Tyler just has a high-margin vehicle and so it's getting moved up in the queue (or not getting pushed back).

There's also the question of whether the shipping destination has a role in which cars Tesla builds. It makes no sense to build one car for a destination and send it off by itself. So they definitely want to batch them up. Follow the money and the apparent randomness of order fulfillment will make sense. It's all about what it costs Tesla to get not only your car to you, but everyone's car to everyone. Tesla is playing an optimization game.
Yup. The higher profit vehicles are likely to get pushed up in production. Even if you try to configure a new car now, a fully base, zero upgrade config is estimated to be out to October but if you do any upgrade at all (paint, 19" wheels, white interior) it brings it up to July.

Focus on the price of the vehicle. Everyone complaining of delays has a fairly low-margin vehicle configuration. I didn't look hard, but I was checking to see if it was related to 19" wheels. The disappointment being voiced was coming from people with Aero wheels while @Tyler Knepper has mentioned that his EDD has been consistently pushed up, and he has the 19" wheels. Is Tesla supply-limited for 18" wheels? It may also be that Tyler just has a high-margin vehicle and so it's getting moved up in the queue (or not getting pushed back).

There's also the question of whether the shipping destination has a role in which cars Tesla builds. It makes no sense to build one car for a destination and send it off by itself. So they definitely want to batch them up. Follow the money and the apparent randomness of order fulfillment will make sense. It's all about what it costs Tesla to get not only your car to you, but everyone's car to everyone. Tesla is playing an optimization game.
If you switch between the 18" and 19" rims right now on the order page it updates from Aug-Oct to Jun-Aug, respectively.. so I think you're right, the aero wheels are in short supply

Reactions: E90alex
If you switch between the 18" and 19" rims right now on the order page it updates from Aug-Oct to Jun-Aug, respectively.. so I think you're right, the aero wheels are in short supply
But the 19" rims are also more expensive, so it's not really clear whether it's Tesla making less money off 18" rims (and so prioritizing 19" rims to make more money) or not having as many 18" rims as they need to fill demand (and so focusing on the 19" rims because they have more of them). More telling would be a survey to find out if expensive vehicles with 18" wheels are being delayed more than cheaper vehicles with 19" wheels. That's a survey that will probably never come into being.

Reactions: jpaychek

But the 19" rims are also more expensive, so it's not really clear whether it's Tesla making less money off 18" rims (and so prioritizing 19" rims to make more money) or not having as many 18" rims as they need to fill demand (and so focusing on the 19" rims because they have more of them). More telling would be a survey to find out if expensive vehicles with 18" wheels are being delayed more than cheaper vehicles with 19" wheels. That's a survey that will probably never come into being.

A White exterior M3LR with Aero wheels is Aug - Oct 2022 // A Red exterior M3LR with Aero wheels is June - Aug 2022. It seems more likely the price difference and not the wheels.

Reactions: E90alex
I don't think I've seen this question asked (sorry if it has been). Do VIN's get assigned AFTER the car is already made, or is it assigned and then the car goes into production?
I believe the car has to be already made before the VIN gets assigned. The VIN probably gets assigned to the vehicle early on in the production process, but it doesn't get assigned to a customer until sometime after it's off the production line. I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

I genuinely believe they probably assign VINs in batches. Since VIN assignment relies heavily on location, I think they need to figure out which cars are going where before the figure out who gets the VINs.

Reactions: T-J-
I believe the car has to be already made before the VIN gets assigned. The VIN probably gets assigned to the vehicle early on in the production process, but it doesn't get assigned to a customer until sometime after it's off the production line. I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

I genuinely believe they probably assign VINs in batches. Since VIN assignment relies heavily on location, I think they need to figure out which cars are going where before the figure out who gets the VINs.
I think the VIN is assigned when all the parts needed to make your car have been allocated.

Reactions: T-J-
I don't know about anyone else but I'm kind of hoping to get my M3LR from the Austin Gigafactory. Happy opening day!! They will be servicing all of us Easterners'. I watched a youtube video this morning about the new factory and it is, quite honestly, incredible! My EDD hasn't changed as you can see in my signature.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm kind of hoping to get my M3LR from the Austin Gigafactory. Happy opening day!! They will be servicing all of us Easterners'. I watched a youtube video this morning about the new factory and it is, quite honestly, incredible! My EDD hasn't changed as you can see inn my signature.
They won't be making Model 3s there anytime soon, if ever. That factory is dedicated to Model Y, Cybertruck and Semi right now. And they are still years out from full production of all those lines.