Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ordered your LR last year, you should have received your car before the recent charge port issue.
In the post I referenced earlier, I explained that the VIN that came in late Jan/Early Feb had to be released due to an issue with the title of my 2020 M3. Tesla and the Lender made a mistake that was not taken care of for 2 years. didn't discover it until I was preparing for delivery of the first VIN.

The thing that really confuses me about EDDs is why some people get multiple updates and some are steady. Me and another buyer ordered The same exact car for delivery to the same place but ordered 3 days apart. My EDD was pretty much spot-on from the beginning and just got the standard update to 14-ay and finally 4 day windows. Whereas he got multiple updates going back and forth, sometimes by weeks. That is really strange.

But I guess it’s just us nuts here that check so often to even see Every. Single. Update.
Two thoughts. First, I try to imagine all of the parts or other materials that constitute the supply chain for a M3, and it’s daunting. Then there’s the various production lines within the factory, none of which function perfectly all the time. Then there’s the transportation, etc, etc. Eventually, someone’s order is going to be on the “other side” of the “we can deliver it on day X” line; that other buyer that you’re talking about, he fell on the other side of that line. The problem is that, once he did, he was subject to whatever the production and delivery vagaries were on that side of that line (which, by the way, adjusts almost infinitesimally every minute).

Second, in a few years, when the supply chain mess is ironed out and Tesla has competition (hence lightening the pressure on the demand and everyone’s disappointment with the supply), we will all look back and say, “I remember when….” Feels crappy now, but it will pass.

In the post I referenced earlier, I explained that the VIN that came in late Jan/Early Feb had to be released due to an issue with the title of my 2020 M3. Tesla and the Lender made a mistake that was not taken care of for 2 years. didn't discover it until I was preparing for delivery of the first VIN.
So you tried to resolve the issue with your SR and Tesla took away the VIN of your LR?

WARNING ON PAYMENT!!! DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR CAR UNTIL IT'S BEEN DELIVERED.

I'm walking through a horror story right now... Received VIN and app instructed me to make payment on April 29th for a May 5th(ish) delivery. So I did that, and sure enough got confirmation that the car arrived in Kansas City on May 6th, without the charging port. Was told it would be a week, waited a week, then told it would be another week, waited another week, now today I'm told they're "hoping" for the part to come June 6th! Over a month after they took my $50,000. Worse part is the money was from a Credit Union now the credit union is knocking on my door demanding to know where the title is, when i don't even have the dang car! Lesson learned, never should have allowed the payment to be processed without actually having confirmation the car was actually ready for pickup. Their APP is INCREDIBLY deceiving telling me "Make payment now to avoid delivery delays" and then as soon as payments made "oh sorry your car's not actually whole, and we really have no idea when or if the parts are coming in"

The saga continues. I reached out to my original SA and made what I thought was a completely reasonable request to be provided a service loaner while they were waiting on my part, after all I'd paid for my vehicle in full i should have *something* to drive right? Their response verbatim "I've ask on your behalf about the loaner idea, unfortunately the answer is no." That's it, no explanation, no offer for any other compensation, just "no". In the meantime i've sent at least a half dozen texts over the past 24 hours asking for a status update on a search for a new VIN for me so i am not waiting until June on a car when the one i've already paid for is COMPLETE! - No response... I'm very seriously beginning to second guess my purchase decision, if this is how they treat people before they've even taken care of their cars, what is the service process like.

Christmas came one day early and looks like it’s coming for others too. 257 Vin, Matrix lights - people there are clueless why this is even a question. Michelin tires, gaps look good.

I would say the thing I’m most impressed with having now driven 25 miles is the sound. I had Bose systems in both of my Infinity’s and this is better. I really like the sound. And of course the silent but deadly speed. Auto pilot took 12 miles and was ready to engage. What did I miss?
View attachment 806234
Looks to be the M3P, hence the wheels. Pretty neat to see trucks coming in though.

The saga continues. I reached out to my original SA and made what I thought was a completely reasonable request to be provided a service loaner while they were waiting on my part, after all I'd paid for my vehicle in full i should have *something* to drive right? Their response verbatim "I've ask on your behalf about the loaner idea, unfortunately the answer is no." That's it, no explanation, no offer for any other compensation, just "no". In the meantime i've sent at least a half dozen texts over the past 24 hours asking for a status update on a search for a new VIN for me so i am not waiting until June on a car when the one i've already paid for is COMPLETE! - No response... I'm very seriously beginning to second guess my purchase decision, if this is how they treat people before they've even taken care of their cars, what is the service process like.
I haven't read through all of your posts but have you gone down to the talk with them in person?

I haven't read through all of your posts but have you gone down to the talk with them in person?
I am located in Tulsa, OK which is a 4 hour drive from the delivery center. My local center cannot do deliveries because Oklahoma is so ass-backwards with it's laws that Tesla's cannot be sold in Oklahoma. I've had several phone calls with the manager in Kansas City, not sure going there in person is going to make a difference.

Sent a text to the basic # about my delivery coming up.
Asked about amd chip, headlights, and if it had the ECU or not.

AMD was a yes which I figure every car has now.

Headlights: I was told it has "Global headlights, which bring projector headlamps".. no idea what that means, I assume the worst and that's not matrix?

ECU: they dodged the question which is concerning, just said it's in transit and will undergo inspect once it arrives.
That's very interesting...I was on the phone with Tesla a day ago asking about some loan documentation and when I asked about about an ETA for delivery, the lady said something very similar along the lines of "the vehicle is in transit and will have to undergo inspection". As a data point I've had a 5-day window that pushes back every day for the past almost 2 weeks

That's very interesting...I was on the phone with Tesla a day ago asking about some loan documentation and when I asked about about an ETA for delivery, the lady said something very similar along the lines of "the vehicle is in transit and will have to undergo inspection". As a data point I've had a 5-day window that pushes back every day for the past almost 2 weeks
This is what has happened to me for about 3 weeks now. Your car may be missing the charge port chip as well.

question for folks who are, or have scheduled delivery dates: How big of a window of dates are they giving you to choose from? Week window? a few days? Thanks!
It's 3 days afaik.
1652995818458.png
1652995841503.png

These were some of my options when I had mine.
I also really think tesla should maybe discontinue the model 3 rwd just have 2 models. They also might need to maybe combine x and y. I know the whole S3XY thing haha but I personally think tesla has to many models/makes at this time and they are now trying to make cybertruck and semi's :/
Model 3 trim history for reference.
1652995901477.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-tesla-model-3-survey/market-evolution.html
I think this is purely an issue of battery supply. They just don't have the batteries to support more lines. Otherwise, they'd be cranking out Cybertrucks and making a fortune off each one.

I've cautioned this very thing, but I think what will happen is that Tesla will do things better than the legacy automakers regardless of the situation.

So, yes, Tesla is frustrating right now, but they're also the one making cars in volume. When things are better and the legacy automakers are doing their Thing, Tesla will have sorted out the glitches in their systems and will be doing a Better Thing. Yes, we'll still have those distant and unpleasant memories (believe me, they'll fade quickly for most buyers), but we'll wear them like badges of honor, deriding the newbies with their accurate dates and little chocolates in the shape of the Tesla logo when they take delivery.

But I'll never forgive Ford for ignoring me after blowing a head gasket a week after the warranty expired. NEVER!

(Unless they're the only ones making a small electric pickup)
That entire Bloomberg article is a good counter point to those who think Tesla will lose it's luster in the next 5 years as non-Tesla EV production "hopefully" ramps up.
I agree. Giving an EDD that is a moving target is too frustrating for many customers. If you can’t give a firm date, use TBD. Let people know up front Tesla doesn’t know when the part will arrive. Tesla is riding a high right now as they don’t have comparable competition (in production numbers). But when the other companies ramp up, people will remember the angst and frustration endured at Tesla’s hands and will not be repeat buyers. It’s an everyday occurrence where people will not shop at a business where they had a negative experience. Tesla is doing this by the tens of thousands. The excuse Tesla is new to this and experiencing growing pains only takes you so far. Two years from now, people will look at a Mustang Mach E, BMW i4, KIA EV6, or Hyundai IONIQ5 with more acceptance. Where will Tesla sales be then?

Can you expand on this a bit? What else was not so good about their reservation process?
Absolutely, it’s therapeutic….
For the reservation process in general it’s an absolute cluster with the dealer allocation model. I placed my order on 9/8 2021 and was communicated 12-16 weeks to get my car. By mid December I still didn’t have a build date and they were scheduling March. Meanwhile on the forums people with same config and October orders are getting build dates. With ford you get a priority code 0-99, that’s tied to dealers allocation. Once you get to 10 you can expect a build date. By feb 15th 2022 my priority code was sitting at 16 (and it’s like pulling teeth to get the dealer to tell you your #) That same week they had just finished slotting cars for May builds. So, best case scenario I would get a June 2022 build date with delivery in August. Best case scenario…

Then there were inconsinstances with deposit. Ford website requires $500, then you find that your local dealer requires another $500.

Ford also had numerous issues with plant shut down and no chips. My impression is that Ford is doing a really crappy job of getting ahead of supply chain issues - may be unfair of me but I’m in the que for an M3 and Rivian. Issues I read on Tesla forum pale in comparison to Ford. Rivian is somewhere in the middle.

Got assigned a vin just now- older # - 2364XX. I texted the SA number and they said they “reviewed this vehicle and believe it has the matrix headlights”. I asked two follow up questions, asking what the build date was and why the older vin number, whether it was rejected or affected by the charge port. Response back was that ‘the build month was 4/2022 but don't have visibility to anything beyond that.’. So most likely either a charge port affected car, which would be no big deal if fixed, or a rejected car, which if that is the case would be a bummer.
Edited to add- confirmed Michelin tires as well. Didnt care as much about that but nice to have . . .

Last edited: