Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what i'm frustrated about. 4 weeks waiting for a chip with no estimated shipping/install date? really? they HAVE to have SOME idea or date range internally. Why not just tell me it will be 2 months?
Now now. As you can see in this thread, some people would rather not get any estimate at all. You can't please everybody.

Also, since this chip thing is outside their normal supply chain setup, it will be very hard for them to provide an estimate, even internally.

Just got bumped up a week!! Still no sign of scheduling my pickup date.

EDD1: 5/24 - 6/21
EDD2: 5/30 - 6/13
EDD3 6/6-6/9
EDD4 5/30 - 6/5
I noticed your EDD1 is a 4-week. I've been taking a look at people's sigs for 4-week EDDs and seeing what happens after that, and it usually means shorter EDDs afterwards. I've been holding on to a 4-week EDD since Sunday. I await for EDD5 to come to me probably next week. I was hoping for an August delivery.

I agree, it feels misleading. Are you trading a car in?
I've seriously been considering throwing my hands up and getting a taycan or something.
Nope no trade-in for me. I'd just try to encourage you to hang in there. It's annoying and super frustrating, but it will come....eventually lol. Given our luck, the ECU would probably be hand delivered by Elon himself as soon as we cancelled our orders, so hang in there!!

I noticed your EDD1 is a 4-week. I've been taking a look at people's sigs for 4-week EDDs and seeing what happens after that, and it usually means shorter EDDs afterwards. I've been holding on to a 4-week EDD since Sunday. I await for EDD5 to come to me probably next week. I was hoping for an August delivery.
How come I am the only person with a 5-week window? :(

of course they do, but it seems like they're trying to save face for some reason. A little sketchy imo.
Nah. Don't ascribe maliciousness to Tesla when it has been hit by a global supply chain disruption. Remember that the supply chain shock is largely a result of just-in-time logistics. Tesla gets 10,000 chips from the chip supplier so they can build 10,000 ECUs and install them in 10,000 cars. Each month, they get just enough chips for the cars they're building. They don't have spares. To address having cars sitting in parking lots without ECUs, they have to get more chips from the chip supplier despite the fact that the chip supplier is busy building chips for other customers who are clamoring for chips for their products. Where are they going to get the chips they need for the ECUs that are supposed to go into your car? Tesla doesn't know.

That's my theory. It explains the current situation without requiring the people running Tesla to be a bunch of malicious teenagers.

It's a lousy situation for you and I cannot even imagine how frustrating it is. I hope Tesla has the means to sort it out quickly and get you behind the wheel.

Picked up my ride today and it went great. No issues anywhere that we could find.

Came with Matrix lights, so my SA was right about that.

I put about 150 miles on it today and it's crazy how fun it is to drive. The acceleration is just beyond words and I honestly haven't even fully floored it yet. The sound system is unreal.

Hope everyone in this thread has good luck with their cars, and their wait times breeze by quickly!
I agree! I had no issues with my 2019 M3LR, but the 2022 M3LR feels more solid, the suspension seems better sorted, the interior is nicer with the updated center console, the wireless charging, the alcantara on the doors, with the double pane windows it's even more quiet. To my eye, the paint seems higher quality, although I went from blue to midnight silver. The midnight silver looks better in person with little specs of blue. Definitely an upgrade from the 2019.

To address having cars sitting in parking lots without ECUs, they have to get more chips from the chip supplier despite the fact that the chip supplier is busy building chips for other customers who are clamoring for chips for their products. Where are they going to get the chips they need for the ECUs that are supposed to go into your car? Tesla doesn't know.

The chip supplier is busy filling their other orders, with possibly a year's backlog. If Tesla gets in the line like everyone else, they may need to wait that long for this batch of special order chips.

Nah. Don't ascribe maliciousness to Tesla when it has been hit by a global supply chain disruption. Remember that the supply chain shock is largely a result of just-in-time logistics. Tesla gets 10,000 chips from the chip supplier so they can build 10,000 ECUs and install them in 10,000 cars. Each month, they get just enough chips for the cars they're building. They don't have spares. To address having cars sitting in parking lots without ECUs, they have to get more chips from the chip supplier despite the fact that the chip supplier is busy building chips for other customers who are clamoring for chips for their products. Where are they going to get the chips they need for the ECUs that are supposed to go into your car? Tesla doesn't know.

That's my theory. It explains the current situation without requiring the people running Tesla to be a bunch of malicious teenagers.

It's a lousy situation for you and I cannot even imagine how frustrating it is. I hope Tesla has the means to sort it out quickly and get you behind the wheel.
I think everyone can understand, though perhaps not like, the supply chain issue. What frustrates people is the manner in which Tesla has been communicating this issue.

1) The process itself is a bit unintuitive. Not everyone would understand why a car would be shipped without an essential part, or at least why an incomplete car would be assigned to someone without any warning or clear impact on the EDD.

2) The original story I received was that the car was simply stuck at the regional distribution center and would be available to me as soon as they could secure a truck to deliver it. So, to find out that you still couldn't pick up the car even after it was available at the delivery site, really stunk.

3) When they admitted the charge port issue, they outright told me the part was shipped and even gave me a window for when to expect it. So either that was wrong, or there's something else going on. But a customer shouldn't fear blaming Tesla in this case if they were told Tesla had the issue under control.

4) It's not necessarily obvious that the EDD on the app isn't rooted in any sort of intelligence. As such, if you hear about the charge port issue on May 13, and see May 13-17 in the app, you assume the part is just about ready to install. It takes a few days and angry phone calls to see that it's just an automated Today + 4 pattern that has no connection to what's really going on.

5) Tesla can't control external supply chain shortages, but it would be nice to see Tesla exercising anything it can do. Or at least communicating why a seemingly workable option (such as re-allocating those affected by the ECU issue to VINs that will definitely be available imminently, after all, we're supposed to be next in line!) would be impossible. People here have had some good counters to why Tesla can't just stop everything to take care of a small batch of customers, but that would mean so much more coming directly from Tesla -- with some alternative proposals or make-goods (opportunity to change some specs for a canceled car that's ready for pickup, some FSD or Supercharger credit for when the car arrives, etc). Basically, something that lets you know that Tesla is actually empathetic to what customers are going through, and actually doing everything it can to remedy.