Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to see some Tysons Corner movement! Congrats on the new ride! I’m right behind you, although I am well aware of Tesla’s inconsistency regarding pickups/deliveries. I was wondering who you chose for your tint and wrap work or if you had a Northern VA recommendation as I plan on getting both done soon after acquiring the car.

Not looking forward to the higher property tax bill or the extra added cost for registration renewal. We‘ve already felt that pain with my wife’s MY.
Was going with Exotic Vehicle Wraps to do the wrap and black out the Tesla emblems...but I am now thinking I might make a deposit on a MY with a delivery date of April 2023 and sell this when it comes in. On the ropes.

Reactions: FLEO SJ
Took delivery of my LR 3, MSM, 19’s, no FSD. Took 86 days. Delivered to Glendale AZ. Fit and finish much better than my LR 2021 S. No panel gaps or loose interior pieces. they did an amazing job detailing it. The only thing I could find was a little sagging plastic down under the left rocker panel.
For the curious, the Matrix light are extremely bright. Continental ProContact, nice and quiet. Put some 25mm spacers on back immediately since the fender overhang is a bit much. 15mm on the front soon but it’s like 108 in AZ this week. I just about passed out doing the rears.

Was going with Exotic Vehicle Wraps to do the wrap and black out the Tesla emblems...but I am now thinking I might make a deposit on a MY with a delivery date of April 2023 and sell this when it comes in. On the ropes.
Decisions…decisions. My only experience (other than a 15 min test drive in an M3LR) has been with the MY so I can’t give you any meaningful comparison info. But I hope you are happy with whatever you decide to do!

Reactions: shdwbxr72
We have the same order date so 93 it seems. Just bummed was getting pumped and then a 3-week slip.
You and Patrick Jarin make me less optimistic to get my delivery date earlier than my EDD. Heres hoping I get lucky. I believe we have the exact same cars. My EDD has only moved once though to what it currently is, august 13th to sep 17th. I had another EDD before but I don't remember what it was, just like a week later.

Graduated yesterday! Was supposed to pick up Monday, but got delayed due to logistics issues. Took delivery 12 days after switching from LR to P. Car didn't ride as rough as I thought it would, so it's a win. Will probably still end up going to 18 or 19 inch set-up because these tires are a liability waiting to happen. Wife was nauseous after the first launch, then made me go to IKEA, where I got nauseous.

Attachments

• Tesla 1.jpg
    Tesla 1.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Tesla 2.jpg
    Tesla 2.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 62
TLDR; Not all orders are created equally. The list of base configuration orders takes longer to get through than the list of upgraded configuration orders. East coast orders go out at the beginning of the quarter, and west coast orders go out at the end. When watching people get VINs, it's important to keep this stuff in mind so that you're comparing apples to apples.

Everyone should keep in mind that there are two configuration categories; base and upgraded. Today's base order EDD is November 2022 to February 2023 (120-210 days) while the upgraded order EDD is September 2022 to December 2022 (60-180 days).

Compare that to the deliveries today, which were ordered roughly 100 days ago for base configurations and 80 for upgraded configurations. The gap in delivery times between categories is only going to grow, assuming Tesla is at all accurate with their ballpark numbers at time of order. They know how many cars they can make, and how many orders they have, so it should be a pretty straightforward process.

Folks should also keep in mind that there are two delivery waves coming out of Fremont; east coast and west coast. East coast is batched up in big rail shipments that go to Chicago, Illinois and Birmingham, Alabama during the first two months of a quarter. From there, they're delivered on trucks. West coast is put straight onto trucks from the factory during the final month of a quarter. East coast goes out first because of the big logistical headache while west coast goes out at the end of the quarter to pack in as many quick deliveries as possible.

So where am I going with this? When watching activity here about VIN assignment and vehicle deliveries, you have to compare both your category of configuration as well as your location in the country.

If you're on the west coast with a base configuration order and see someone on the east coast with a base configuration order that was placed on the same day you ordered, you can hope to see a VIN at the end of that quarter. Right? East coast at the beginning of the quarter, then west coast at the end, with orders being processed more or less in sequence for the same category of configuration.

If you're on the west coast with a base configuration order and see someone with your order date but with an upgraded configuration getting a VIN at the end of the quarter, what should you expect? To be delayed to the end of the following quarter. Your order didn't make the cut for the current quarter because they only got as far as the upgraded configurations. Your order will go out in the next batch of base configurations for the west coast.

A final disclaimer here. There are lots of exceptions, but the great majority of orders do follow these 'rules'. Here are some exception scenarios:

Cars may arrive at a destination and not get delivered to the customer for one reason or another. Tesla will try to find someone who wants that car, which might grant a VIN out of the blue to someone nearby, despite the fact that the person might only have been waiting a short time.

Cars may get delivered to west coast destinations at the beginning of the quarter simply because the stars aligned. Tesla can always make a delivery to the west coast. It's the east coast that's the big logistical nightmare.

Cars may get delivered to someone with a base configuration in advance of other orders because the stars aligned a different way. Tesla may want to fill a truck going to Mt. Kisco New York and they've got a spot open. They could put an upgraded order on the truck or they could put a base order for someone who has been waiting a much longer time. So they fill that one base configuration order to include it in the shipment and fill out the truck. Wham. Some lucky person in Mt. Kisco gets a VIN while everyone else with base configuration orders on the same day is left scratching their heads why they didn't get one.

Well after seeing lots of people get deliveries on orders that were placed later than mine, I was hopeful that I'd have a VIN assigned soon since my DD was 7/2-8/6...
Didn't happen, woke up this morning to another pushback of the delivery date. Now it's 7/18-8/16. What's up with this system of order fulfillment? I guess I understand the CA push at end of quarter for quick deliveries and padding the numbers, but this seems to go beyond that...
Any thoughts?

M3LR/MSM/BLACK/AERO/NO FSD, OD 3/20/22, ODD 6/9-7/25, DD2 6/11-7/18, DD3 7/18-8/29, DD4 7/2-8/6, DD5 7/18-8/16
Chandler, AZ

Well after seeing lots of people get deliveries on orders that were placed later than mine, I was hopeful that I'd have a VIN assigned soon since my DD was 7/2-8/6...
Didn't happen, woke up this morning to another pushback of the delivery date. Now it's 7/18-8/16. What's up with this system of order fulfillment? I guess I understand the CA push at end of quarter for quick deliveries and padding the numbers, but this seems to go beyond that...
Any thoughts?

M3LR/MSM/BLACK/AERO/NO FSD, OD 3/20/22, ODD 6/9-7/25, DD2 6/11-7/18, DD3 7/18-8/29, DD4 7/2-8/6, DD5 7/18-8/16
Chandler, AZ
Funny, I just read the lengthy post just before mine and it had been answering my exact question...DUH! Thanks

JB47394

TLDR; Not all orders are created equally. The list of base configuration orders takes longer to get through than the list of upgraded configuration orders. East coast orders go out at the beginning of the quarter, and west coast orders go out at the end. When watching people get VINs, it's important to keep this stuff in mind so that you're comparing apples to apples.
This was extremely informative. That gives me a little more hope to see my delivery sometime pretty soon. Since I am east coast and we are about to start Q3.