Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Yea updated that all now. My only remaining step is figuring out with the credit union how to get that check/money to Tesla.

It looks like you are in San Diego? Don't know if you're looking for insurance but Wawanesa is a great local SD insurance, and they gave me the best rate for my Tesla. Even better wit multicar discount
I stayed with gecio got a really good rate because I have multi cars and home insurance with them

Reactions: Ashhong
Just curious, for those who have custom plates prior to delivery of their cars, how do we go about telling Tesla about them? Do we just bring them and tell them to register our car with the custom plates? Im located in California btw. Thanks
I'm in Virginia and I had just paid for two years' registration on my old plates prior to ordering the Tesla, so I was pretty clear with Tesla people that I wanted the plates transferred from my old car, which I was trading in with them. They said they'd do it, they didn't, I got new plates in the mail, and I had to go to the DMV to turn in the old plates for a partial refund. The Virginia Tesla people have a system and that's what they follow.

The worst part of it was that I asked, they agreed (they may have said "We'll try"), and it didn't happen. I suspect that if I had really wanted to, I could have switched the car back to my older plates and turned in the new ones, but I didn't pursue it. The new plate number wasn't bad and the plates were certainly in better shape.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find that you'll get the car registered with new plates and that you'll have to do the footwork to get the car registered with the custom plates. There are plate transfer forms that need to be filled out. You can ask your SA, who might simply say "You'll have to do that yourself", which should settle the matter.

Edit: I went back and looked at my text message exchange with my SA. The request for plate transfer was definitely in there, with assurance that they'd handle it. Then, about a week after taking delivery I asked about the process of transfer and if it was actually going to happen.

"We see that you did indicate a plate transfer, so provided everything matches up, you should be good to go, but we will let you know if there are any issues."

Apparently there were issues, I wasn't contacted, and I got new plates. It wasn't a greek tragedy, but it was a disappointment.

Last edited:
Model 3LR White ordered July 4
ODD Sept 2022 - November 2022
EDD - Oct 9 to Dec 12 now Sept 12 to Oct 17

Live in Thunder Bay, M3 being delivered to Innisfill.

Anybody ever get their car put on a courier for delivery to a remote location vs flying down to pick it up? I can't imagine the cost to courier is that much different than flights, hotel and the 14hr drive but I'm a little concerned about having it delivered without being inspected. There is no service center at all close by so I'm worried you'd be in a situation where you accept and live with it, or refuse the car. Any insights?

Reactions: Fire0897

Anybody ever get their car put on a courier for delivery to a remote location vs flying down to pick it up? I can't imagine the cost to courier is that much different than flights, hotel and the 14hr drive but I'm a little concerned about having it delivered without being inspected. There is no service center at all close by so I'm worried you'd be in a situation where you accept and live with it, or refuse the car. Any insights?
My OD 5/31 EDD 9/4-10/2 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Fire0897
I'm in Virginia and I had just paid for two years' registration on my old plates prior to ordering the Tesla, so I was pretty clear with Tesla people that I wanted the plates transferred from my old car, which I was trading in with them. They said they'd do it, they didn't, I got new plates in the mail, and I had to go to the DMV to turn in the old plates for a partial refund. The Virginia Tesla people have a system and that's what they follow.

The worst part of it was that I asked, they agreed (they may have said "We'll try"), and it didn't happen. I suspect that if I had really wanted to, I could have switched the car back to my older plates and turned in the new ones, but I didn't pursue it. The new plate number wasn't bad and the plates were certainly in better shape.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find that you'll get the car registered with new plates and that you'll have to do the footwork to get the car registered with the custom plates. There are plate transfer forms that need to be filled out. You can ask your SA, who might simply say "You'll have to do that yourself", which should settle the matter.

Edit: I went back and looked at my text message exchange with my SA. The request for plate transfer was definitely in there, with assurance that they'd handle it. Then, about a week after taking delivery I asked about the process of transfer and if it was actually going to happen.

"We see that you did indicate a plate transfer, so provided everything matches up, you should be good to go, but we will let you know if there are any issues."

Apparently there were issues, I wasn't contacted, and I got new plates. It wasn't a greek tragedy, but it was a disappointment.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! My situation is slightly different so maybe it’ll have a better result lol. For me, I already sold my old car and my custom plates are just sitting in my room. Hopefully the process will be easier in that I just bring my plates and tell them to transfer them to my Tesla.

I actually had previously done this swap at a Honda dealership with these plates and it went through without any issues. I actually watched the sales guy fill the form out for me and confirm, though. Doesn’t seem like Tesla would do this, but hey maybe California is a bit different. In any case, I appreciate all the info you provided!

It does vary by state. I have a Delaware vanity plate and wanted to transfer it to my new M3. For Delaware, Tesla basically states I have to do all the paperwork and footwork for registration, etc. Tesla sent their registration docs to me after about 10 days. I just researched all the remaining paperwork, took that and Tesla registration docs and my current plate to DMV and was out the door in about 20 minutes.

Reactions: JB47394

Interesting. I ordered the same car on 6/1 and we have almost the same EDD.

Just got the text that my car has left the factory! How long does it typically take to arrive at delivery center? Text says watch for a delivery appointment text within the next two weeks. I’m in Atlanta.
Your vehicle will be loaded onto a rail car and sent to Birmingham, Alabama along with a couple thousand other cars. Then it will be put on a truck and be driven to Atlanta. Call it a week. Then there's time to inspect and prepare the car for delivery. Another few days. Rough ballpark of the weekend of August 20/21.