Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently got a few K from the state for working " front lines " during covid so that can go right into my acceleration boost and principle balance lol.
Are you planning on getting acceleration boost as soon as you take delivery, or waiting a while? I want it immediately, but I also think I’ll appreciate it more after I’ve driven the car for a while without it

How does your LR compare to the stealth performance in terms of speed, acceleration?
It's not the same, but I just have to be content. I paid less for that Stealth Performance than I did for this LR. In reality, the LR even without the acceleration boost is plenty fast. I just was spoiled with just how much kick it had from 0-60.

I just got my Rivian R1T which is also just as fast as the Stealth Performance, so I still get to enjoy that acceleration, just in a MUCH bigger vehicle. lol, it's actually scary.

Are you planning on getting acceleration boost as soon as you take delivery, or waiting a while? I want it immediately, but I also think I’ll appreciate it more after I’ve driven the car for a while without it
Likely going to do it right after I get the car home for a few reasons
1) I'll still have the new car purchase "high" so I'll be more inclined to do so ;)
2) I'm one of those people who if things are available to purchase to "complete" something I do it (again a bad habit on my part)
3) If I do it then I can hide the purchase from my wife and just say it was part of the car payment...

Yes none of those are "good" reasons lol
Also my car currently does 0 to 60 in about 15 seconds soooo I think with the new tesla and/or boost I'll probably be flying into the walls :p

Ok Nice job of cutting through the lingo. Now I understand the Tax Credit, but don't qualify!! 😫
Check it out.
Thanks for posting that. He did an awesome job of explaining the pertinent details, and I was surprised by a few things he spotted. One bit that I picked up on is that batteries that are recycled in North America qualify for this. That's an awesome thing to include in order to encourage recycling. There's a former Tesla VP by the name of JB Straubel who started a battery recycling company called Redwood Materials. He was already having no problem finding buyers for materials, but I can imagine their recycled materials just became very much in demand.

Likely going to do it right after I get the car home for a few reasons
1) I'll still have the new car purchase "high" so I'll be more inclined to do so ;)
2) I'm one of those people who if things are available to purchase to "complete" something I do it (again a bad habit on my part)
3) If I do it then I can hide the purchase from my wife and just say it was part of the car payment...

Yes none of those are "good" reasons lol
Also my car currently does 0 to 60 in about 15 seconds soooo I think with the new tesla and/or boost I'll probably be flying into the walls :p
Lol good call re: convincing the wife that it’s part of the car payment.

You’ve probably addressed this before, but why opt for the M3LR with acceleration boost instead of going for the M3P? Getting the M3P for just $5k more (based on my $55,990 order price + $2k accel boost = $57,990 vs. $62,990 for the M3P) is a constant battle I have in my head. What steers me away from the M3P is the 20” uberturbine wheels - I think they’re ugly, I don’t want the added cost of replacing a 20” tire, and I prefer a softer ride

Reactions: ZZ118
I need to blow off some steam cause I'm getting really frustrated. I've been patient the whole time for the car because when I first started here people explained to me the 3-4 month turn around time. That and my EDDs essentially pointed to a August delivery. Sure enough early August I got a 2 week window and a trade in text. A little over a week ago it moved to early september delivery, ok I said that makes sense if I get a VIN soon since it takes 2 weeks to deliver. Now I'm seeing people who ordered a month or more after me getting VINs that had a similar EDD to what I now have.

I just don't get it. I hardly ever see anyone ordering a black on black LR3 AND I added EAP onto it. Whenever I watch the tesla fly over they have so many black model 3s, where are they all going?! Of course the SAs tell me nothing which only adds to it.

I understand that this is a long process but now it's getting frustrating as I'm about to enter month 4 with no VIN and most people from April are filled and they are filling a lot of May as well.

This isn't directed at anyone I just needed to vent for a minute into the black hole of the internet
We all understand that Tesla has their various queues based on color/wheel type, etc but it is really frustrating to watch orders with +1/1.5 months later getting VINs.

Reactions: Cho22 and ZZ118

You’ve probably addressed this before, but why opt for the M3LR with acceleration boost instead of going for the M3P? Getting the M3P for just $5k more (based on my $55,990 order price + $2k accel boost = $57,990 vs. $62,990 for the M3P) is a constant battle I have in my head. What steers me away from the M3P is the 20” uberturbine wheels - I think they’re ugly, I don’t want the added cost of replacing a 20” tire, and I prefer a softer ride
I opted for the LR instead of Performance because of my concerns regarding the uberturbine wheels given that they have a shorter lifespan and are more prone to flats. I live in California where roads are pretty terrible with potholes and random obstacles.

So the longer range with the option for speed, durability, and ride comfort seemed a better deal plus I get to save a few thousand dollars. I actually like the way the Uberturbines look, but the cons regarding longevity were the decider for me. Also not a huge fan of the mini carbon spoiler on the performance haha. But that's a personal taste.

So two reasons. The first is I didn't want to spend the money on the performance as it was 7K more (at that time). By the time EAP came out I was already 2 months into my OD for the LR3. At that time, I was fortunate enough to have gotten a surprise raise (and my wife too) that let me afford the extra 6K for the EAP.

The second reason is just the performance itself. The brakes are a nightmare to manage and you will see lots of posts where they start to rust and seize after inactivity for only a few days. I live right near the ocean so rust is always a constant struggle. However the absolute reason I will NEVER buy a P is , as you alluded to) the wheels. They are a nightmare in a cold climate with potholes. You cannot use them under 40F period. If you do they will burst and you will spin out. You also can not store them below 40F either as they will degrade. So now you are factoring in having to buy all weather tires for 2K more. And by doing so you are compromising the handling and speed of the P. Plus they are not as smooth and less forgiving to damage. So the wheels are the big deal breaker for me. No matter how I play the numbers I just can't sell myself on them.

And a quick third thing the P has less range

I like the overall package of the LR3 and think it is the best bang for the buck of the model 3s. I need as long range as possible as I will essentially be supercarging 90% of my times since I live in an apartment with no built in chargers (but a have 2 supercargers within a mile) as a backup I am installing a wall charger at my parents home but thats not my main source of charging. So I need to get as much range as possible per charge. Top speed is not a concern for me as I have never taken a car above 100mph (and probably never will) since their are cops everywhere where I live. Acceleration is nice and the one thing the P has over the LR but at the end of the day 3.7 vs 3.2 is not really a big deal and certainly not enough to overcome the other short comings I mentioned before.

Plus I like the people on this forum wayyyy more then those on the P forum lol ;)

*Note: I use wheels and tires interchangeably, I know they are different. I am referring to to the rubber things that go on the metal thing ;)

Last edited:

So if you but the P and put on new tires they will set you back an additional 2K. Now you can sell the stock P tires to recoup some money if you want that hassell. But if you don't then its a wash and instead of putting 2K into the boost you are putting 2K into the tires. As I said above getting the boost will make the car better, getting the tires will only make the car "whole"

Reactions: phaheem
Thanks, yeah I'm ok like I said just needed to vent some steam a little. I have no choice but to take this car since my old car is a junker on it's last legs and I can't start a new wait list for another car. One nice thing has been as you've said saving up more money for the car. Just recently got a few K from the state for working " front lines " during covid so that can go right into my acceleration boost and principle balance lol. This group definitely helps the wait so I thank everyone for that. The only thing I wish was different was my SAs be more upfront (if they really have additional info), clearly I'm not just like "where is my tesla!! its been 2 weeks, my OD is obviously a old one and if there is something holding it up I'd just like to know.

Thanks again everyone for the venting session :)
I need to blow off some steam cause I'm getting really frustrated. I've been patient the whole time for the car because when I first started here people explained to me the 3-4 month turn around time. That and my EDDs essentially pointed to a August delivery. Sure enough early August I got a 2 week window and a trade in text. A little over a week ago it moved to early september delivery, ok I said that makes sense if I get a VIN soon since it takes 2 weeks to deliver. Now I'm seeing people who ordered a month or more after me getting VINs that had a similar EDD to what I now have.

I just don't get it. I hardly ever see anyone ordering a black on black LR3 AND I added EAP onto it. Whenever I watch the tesla fly over they have so many black model 3s, where are they all going?! Of course the SAs tell me nothing which only adds to it.

I understand that this is a long process but now it's getting frustrating as I'm about to enter month 4 with no VIN and most people from April are filled and they are filling a lot of May as well.

This isn't directed at anyone I just needed to vent for a minute into the black hole of the internet
ZZ, I feel your frustration and agree that it's tough to see later orders jump the line. This ordering process is like no other and challenging to understand who gets what when. Glad you were able to blow off some steam here. Hang in there my friend! ;)

I think so too. They should be departing Freemont any day now! I'm counting on my SA saying mine is expected to arrive in Cherry Hill on 8/29. That's with no hiccups. 🤞😁
This is getting me worried though for both of us since it takes about 2 weeks from california to delivery center. So we need (or you need) to get the VINs like today to meet that timeline. Fingers crossed

Does anyone know how the Performance Boost upgrade in the app calculates the sales tax? I’ve heard some say they had no tax, while others had 10% or more. I’m curious if it’s done purely based on the location of your phone, and you could maybe use a VPN to avoid paying an extra couple hundred dollars.

Reactions: phaheem
Thanks, yeah I'm ok like I said just needed to vent some steam a little. I have no choice but to take this car since my old car is a junker on it's last legs and I can't start a new wait list for another car. One nice thing has been as you've said saving up more money for the car. Just recently got a few K from the state for working " front lines " during covid so that can go right into my acceleration boost and principle balance lol. This group definitely helps the wait so I thank everyone for that. The only thing I wish was different was my SAs be more upfront (if they really have additional info), clearly I'm not just like "where is my tesla!! its been 2 weeks, my OD is obviously a old one and if there is something holding it up I'd just like to know.

Thanks again everyone for the venting session :)
I’m only a little over a month on my wait and I feel your pain already. Some of us are less patient than others and this waiting period is definitely testing mine. But we just need to think positively, since good things come to those who wait. The longer it takes for mine to come, the bigger the down payment I’ll have for mine 🤙🏻